Speaker Suggestions Celestion G12M vs. G12H

DaveGrima

• Members

Dont hold back. Tell me what you think of it. I havent ordered anything yet and thats why I started this thread, to get feedback.

You thought it was too stiff? Was it broken in?

No, not too stiff. It's actually kind of.... buttery.

Well, mine was the 30 watt alnico version, so it may not translate. I thought it was a very high quality speaker both in construction and sound, but was almost too polite. It didn't have the kerrang! of the celestion blue nor the nice bottom end compression of the greenback. The celestions get way nastier in comparison (in a way I guess I've grown to like). BUT, in retrospect, I may have been expecting it to sound too much like a celestion and therefore it may have really skewed my perspectives.

• Members

I agree. Its tough to pick a speaker for your amp though. Its impossible to know exactly what a speaker will sound like through
your
cab and
your
amp. You can only get so much from soundclips and YouTube. Ive seen some clips of the G12Ms that sound great, some that sound crappy. It totally depends on the individual players set-up. All you can do is get as much info and feedback from other players as possible and take a chance.

That being said, I tihnk Im gonna go with the Weber 50w ALnico Blue Dog, which is like a Celstion Alnico Blue I guess. IN a GuitarPlayer Alnico speaker shootout a few years ago it got very high marks. They even said it sounded better than the Blue in some amps. Im gonna go with Webers recomendation and pair it with a ceramic Silver Bell, which I think is kind of their take on a Vintage 30. So Alnico + Ceramic = best of both worlds. They should sound absolutely fucking tits in my Mesa cab. Im stoked. Thanks for helping me decide.
:wave:

Let alone your room with your shit plugged into it with you playing it.

I've found that out the hard way too - what sounds like ass...move it or yourself any direction 1ft and it can sound better or worse...change guitars...change players, change volume levels...

It's amazing how much variation can come of that.

• Members

Honestly, I think it's a matter of "I'm not fucking changing it", or "this is what I'm known for, therefore I'm not fucking changing it" or, they know that they sound like what they sound like no matter what gear they plug into because they'll dial the shit to get the same sound...

We are creatures of habituation. In fact, I think the reason I prefer greenbacks may be in part because I listened to so much classic rock as a kid. :lol:

• Members

I've used both quite extensively.. As far as the modern versions of both, I would choose the Greenback.. The G12h30.anniversary can be a little dark sounding.. When cranked they get nicer, but I still like the greenback..

If you can get your hands on the Heritage G12h30, then I would take that... I really do like that speaker.. Its got a smooth grind to it and a real sweet presence, that doesn't sound brittle when overdriven, but has a nice jangle and clarity for cleans.. I haven't tried the heritage Greenback yet, but will sooner or later..

Here, check this clip of the heritage G12h30.. The song is missing the bass, but I think I did that on purpose to show the raw git tracks. Its a little dark cause I didn't add any post eq, but I love how crushing it sounds. Btw, its a Crowbar cover..

G12H30 dark in the mids, but they have a bright/clear/strong top end...they have a nice sting to them. Dark in the mids compared to the Vintage 30 and Greenback, but clearer in the mids as well.

Personally speaking, I've found the G12H-30 to be pretty good with just about everything. Just the greenback + JVM410 = awesomeville.

• Members

Let alone your room with your {censored} plugged into it with you playing it.

I've found that out the hard way too - what sounds like ass...move it or yourself any direction 1ft and it can sound better or worse...change guitars...change players, change volume levels...

It's amazing how much variation can come of that.

This is true. For instance, I will often choose a different speaker in the studio than what I play live.

• Members

This is true. For instance, I will often choose a different speaker in the studio than what I play live.

{censored}, you can move a mic 2mm in any direction and the sound is noticably different. Pain in the ass when you have cats that like to walk between the grill and the mic stand and love to rub on {censored} - lol.

• Members

Those sound nice. Do you have any clips of them without so much gain? I was looking into those, but their so damn expensive! A pair of those wouold cost more than the cab I bought.

they are expensive and that is a lot of gain (5150)! But that's why I posted it..cause its kinda considered a vintage style speaker and I think it handles extreme gain as good as anything.. I'm sure I so have some lower gain clips.. Let me see if I can find one real quick.. Also, I have sold and bought the heritage speakers in the $100-125 range, so they can be found for a fair price..

Here is a clip, one if the guitars was a eminence legend v12, the other was the heritage..

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/77-5150%20lo%20gain%20jamm.mp3

Archived