Speaker Suggestions Celestion G12M vs. G12H

DaveGrima

• Members

Help me pick some speakers for my new cab please. Ive narrowed it down to the G12M Greenback or the G12H30. Theyre going into a Mesa 2x12 Vertical Recto cab. I play blues, Classic Rock, funk, punk, etc. Anyone have personal experience with either these or the Heritage versions? Theres only so much I can glean form Youtube.

Any other speaker suggestions for other brands I should look at? I really want the classic 60s rock sound. Something kind of gritty and jangly and gnarly sounding if you know what I mean. Thanks.

• Members

I have:

V30 loaded Mesa Recto Slant

G12H-30 loaded Marshall 1960A

G12M-25 loaded Avatar 4x12

Of those, the Avatar is my favorite, at least w/ Marshall. That said, it's not for everyone. G12H30 is kind of in the middle, but with a stronger top end.

Classic 60's sound is greenback all the way.

As for Heritage vs China...Meh. A the end of the day, is the tone that much more awesome to justify the price? IMO, probably not. But, then again, I've not tried them....and don't intend to. I'm happy with my china-speakers.

• Members

^^ THD UNivalve. I really want to like the Greenbacks. The reason being the EVH sig speaker is just an English made Greenback-20 with EVH graphics and its only $150, compared to $219 for a regular Heritage G12M. I have no Idea why its so much cheaper but its only like $30 more than the Chinese Greenback so what the hell. Not only that but its a different speaker than the newer CHinese Greenbacks. Its supposed to be an exact true to spec recreation of the old 60s Greenbacks where as the newer ones are different.

I have a question about the EVH "Greenback". It comes in 8 or 15 ohm. If i get 2 X15 ohm speakers, what the hell do I set my amp for?

• Members

^^ THD UNivalve. I really want to like the Greenbacks. The reason being the EVH sig speaker is just an English made Greenback-20 with EVH graphics and its only $150, compared to $219 for a regular Heritage G12M. I have no Idea why its so much cheaper but its only like $30 more than the Chinese Greenback so what the hell. Not only that but its a different speaker than the newer CHinese Greenbacks. Its supposed to be an exact true to spec recreation of the old 60s Greenbacks where as the newer ones are different.

I have a question about the EVH "Greenback". It comes in 8 or 15 ohm. If i get 2 X15 ohm speakers, what the hell do I set my amp for?

15 ohm => 16 ohm.

• Members

I have a question, as Im picking up an amp tomorrow with a greenback in it.

The guy selling me the amp claims its "Made In England".

The picture he provided shows the sticker on it saying "Celestion International ltd. Ipswich, England" rated at 25 watts. Is it a made in England Celestion and if it is how does it compare to a Heritage?

Or is it a chinese one?

IMG_1115.jpg

• Members

That's the HERITAGE version that is 20 watts, as DK said.

There are greenbacks that look exactly like the picture that are made in England.

They will have MADE IN ENGLAND molded in the plastic - exactly the part that is not showing in the picture.

If that portion of the plastic cover is blank - they are made in China.

• Members

That's the HERITAGE version that is 20 watts, as DK said.

There are greenbacks that look exactly like the picture that are made in England.

They will have MADE IN ENGLAND molded in the plastic
-
exactly the part that is not showing in the picture

If that portion of the plastic cover is blank - they are made in China.

Alright then!

I'll be surprised if its actually made in England, if not from what I have heard the chinese and English one(not the Heritage} sound the same.

But it would have been cool mojo, I doubt the one Im getting is English :cry:

• Members

I really wanted to like G12H's but always end up coming back to M's. I like how they have some "give." I think if you're going for a vintage sound the M's sound more like that as well.

That being said, I've also realized no one can tell you what you like. You have to find that out for yourself.

• Members

That being said, I've also realized no one can tell you what you like. You have to find that out for yourself.

This, and even then, you have to revisit {censored} later, because tastes do change.

Hated greenbacks 10 years ago. Now I love 'em.

Loved G12H30's 10 years ago. Now I'm 50/50.

Was 50/50 on Vintage 30's 10 years ago, then, hated them, now, I'm 50/50 again.

• Members

I agree. Its tough to pick a speaker for your amp though. Its impossible to know exactly what a speaker will sound like through your cab and your amp. You can only get so much from soundclips and YouTube. Ive seen some clips of the G12Ms that sound great, some that sound crappy. It totally depends on the individual players set-up. All you can do is get as much info and feedback from other players as possible and take a chance.

That being said, I tihnk Im gonna go with the Weber 50w ALnico Blue Dog, which is like a Celstion Alnico Blue I guess. IN a GuitarPlayer Alnico speaker shootout a few years ago it got very high marks. They even said it sounded better than the Blue in some amps. Im gonna go with Webers recomendation and pair it with a ceramic Silver Bell, which I think is kind of their take on a Vintage 30. So Alnico + Ceramic = best of both worlds. They should sound absolutely fucking tits in my Mesa cab. Im stoked. Thanks for helping me decide. :wave:

• Members

I agree. Its tough to pick a speaker for your amp though. Its impossible to know exactly what a speaker will sound like through
your
cab and
your
amp. You can only get so much from soundclips and YouTube. Ive seen some clips of the G12Ms that sound great, some that sound crappy. It totally depends on the individual players set-up. All you can do is get as much info and feedback from other players as possible and take a chance.

That being said, I tihnk Im gonna go with the Weber 50w ALnico Blue Dog, which is like a Celstion Alnico Blue I guess. IN a GuitarPlayer Alnico speaker shootout a few years ago it got very high marks. They even said it sounded better than the Blue in some amps. Im gonna go with Webers recomendation and pair it with a ceramic Silver Bell, which I think is kind of their take on a Vintage 30. So Alnico + Ceramic = best of both worlds. They should sound absolutely fucking tits in my Mesa cab. Im stoked. Thanks for helping me decide.
:wave:

Oh, I know. I went through the whole thing myself with probably about everything celestion (except the 65, which I need to try) makes, and some of what eminince and jensen do. I tried the Blue Dog too, but I'll reserve my thoughts on it for your sake.

For me, a lot of it had to do with the feel of the speaker. A lot of speakers are just too stuff for me.

• Members

This, and even then, you have to revisit {censored} later, because tastes do change.

Hated greenbacks 10 years ago. Now I love 'em.

Loved G12H30's 10 years ago. Now I'm 50/50.

Was 50/50 on Vintage 30's 10 years ago, then, hated them, now, I'm 50/50 again.

This truth makes me envy those very few guys who find their tone quickly and never really change it, and who are happy about that fact no less. Zakk Wylde for example.

• Members

Oh, I know. I went through the whole thing myself with probably about everything celestion (except the 65, which I need to try) makes, and some of what eminince and jensen do.
I tried the Blue Dog too, but I'll reserve my thoughts on it for your sake.

For me, a lot of it had to do with the feel of the speaker. A lot of speakers are just too stuff for me.

Dont hold back. Tell me what you think of it. I havent ordered anything yet and thats why I started this thread, to get feedback.

You thought it was too stiff? Was it broken in?

• Members

I've used both quite extensively.. As far as the modern versions of both, I would choose the Greenback.. The G12h30.anniversary can be a little dark sounding.. When cranked they get nicer, but I still like the greenback..

If you can get your hands on the Heritage G12h30, then I would take that... I really do like that speaker.. Its got a smooth grind to it and a real sweet presence, that doesn't sound brittle when overdriven, but has a nice jangle and clarity for cleans.. I haven't tried the heritage Greenback yet, but will sooner or later..

Here, check this clip of the heritage G12h30.. The song is missing the bass, but I think I did that on purpose to show the raw git tracks. Its a little dark cause I didn't add any post eq, but I love how crushing it sounds. Btw, its a Crowbar cover.. http://www.tonefinder.com/files/93-counting%20haze-01.mp3

• Members

This truth makes me envy those very few guys who find their tone quickly and never really change it, and who are happy about that fact no less. Zakk Wylde for example.

Honestly, I think it's a matter of "I'm not {censored}ing changing it", or "this is what I'm known for, therefore I'm not {censored}ing changing it" or, they know that they sound like what they sound like no matter what gear they plug into because they'll dial the {censored} to get the same sound...

Archived