Strat was squealing like a pig at a show last night. HALP!!!

TU BE

• Members

Played a last minute show yesterday. First time I've used my strat in a gig situation. I run my gain on the Super Sonic 22 low and kick on my Keeley modded DS-1 when I need more distortion for solos etc.

Every time I kicked on the pedal, I would get a gatdam squeal. It would even be prevelant between notes of a solo. I ended up just turning the gain up on the amp and soloing without the use of the pedal.

Here is my signal chain:

Strat MIJ with MIA electronics

Korg blackout tuner

Morley Bad Horsey

MXR dyna comp

EQD Speaker Cranker

Keeley Ultra Modded DS-1

Fender SS22 with a Weber mini mass attenuator

I am loving the strat sound but if I can't use it without this feedback I will just go back to using my les paul.

Any ideeeers?

• Members

iT happens with those damn single coils. ISP Decimator fix's the issue for me.

I've played single coil strats and teles for over 20 years and I've only had that problem when a pickup needed to be re-potted BUT I'm probably not playing with as much gain as some of you which could account for some of it.

• Members

the Decimator is a noise gate for when no signal is present, as far as I know. I don't see how it could possibly help with squealing while you're playing.

If you put it in front of your dirt pedal, it should be able to kill that {censored}. Works for me anyway

• Members

I use my Decimator last on my board; it connects directly to my amps input. I figure that way it kills any idle noise from my pedals
:idk:

Yup. That works great and it's how i typically do it. However, it wasn't working with the gain before the Decimator with my Strat. Switching fixed that issue. I use the gain on my amp usually, but with this project, i'm running the amp semi-clean and using pedals. With my Strat, the typical way just didn't work. Once i'm done with this project, the decimator will go back to the end of the chain

• Members

it was ONLY when I kicked on the boost that I got the squeal. without the boost pedal on, no problems other than the usual single coil white noise.

Just try the decimator before the boost. If that doesn't work you can kick me in the dick :lol:

• Members

By putting it in front of the dirt pedal, the gate is squashing everything but the note you are playing. Since the dirt pedal is what is generating the squeal (generated from the compression it outputs) from all that extra noise that single coils create, that would stop, because all the pedal is getting is the note intended
(if set correctly)

It took me a while to figure this out in my head, because i'm doing a Pink Floyd tribute show and am using my Gilmour Strat. I was having the same issues because of the amount of dirt Gilmour uses and the proximity to my amp when i practice. setting the Decimator to be before my dirt pedals fixed the problem and I'm noise free between notes.

I'm telling you it works, but if you dont want to believe me, dont do it and be all squealy
:idk:

how do you set it?

Archived