Best Glue for Plastics?

UMT

• Members

I'm always putzing with something guitar/amp/gizmo related and having trouble with plastic parts. I've used Gorilla glue AT TIMES with success but other times, it doesn't seem to adhear to certain plastics. Same thing with Super Glue. (with Super Glue, sometimes it holds for awhile, then quits) I'm working on a plastic switch casing right now and just wondering if anybody knows of a glue and/or epoxy that works well with plastics? If you are going to recomend something, tell me where to buy it also.

Thanks In Advance,

UMT

• Members

The problem is that "plastic" is a generic term describing a wide range of chemical compositions. To glue properly you must know exactly which "plastic" you have and use the correct adhesive. Gets a lot more complicated when gluing a "plastic" to another material.

• Members

That's fine. I can appreciate the comment, however I (like most people) wouldn't have the slightest idea of what kind of 'plastic' it is.

I'm trying to repair a plastic piece that is broke, what is the best 'all around' glue to try for a plastic repair.

• Members

Try some sort of two-part Epoxy.

+1. The five-minute epoxy sold at most hardware stores works wonderfully for most anything, including plastic. That stuff is truly the duct tape of adhesives. Only problems: When it sets up, it isn't quite transparent. If you're not careful, you'll get gobs of it everywhere. And it smells like burning hair when you mix the two parts.

But if you're careful, can deal with it not being a clear glue, and use it in a decently ventilated area (or can deal with the smell of burning hair), it should work fine for what you're describing.

:thu: good luck!

• Members

If you're dealing with delrin, or one the slick, self-lubricating "plastics" you're probably out of luck. After a lot of years of fooling with model airplane and model railroad stuff, I don't know of anything that will bond these materials with any real strength.

For most regular plastic a good CA (super glue) should work, but you might try one of the major hobby brands - they are usually much better than the stuff you get at the drug or discount store. I would also try one of the old solvent glues for plastic, if you can find any (a lot of this has been taken off the market I think). Try a drop of acetone somewhere on the stuff you're working with - if the acetone doesn't soften it you're probably out of luck in finding anything that will bond it.

• Members

One other thought. If you're working with something fairly large, and you can hide the joint, the silicone based adhesives will grab onto just about anything. And if you can lay down a good bead they will give you a really good bond. These are usually sold in about a six or eight ounce tube - brand names GE, Dow, etc..

• Members

If you're doing alot of plastic mending you could consider getting a plastic welding rig at harbor freight tools. I use mine on my motorcycle. I ride like I play guitar (bad) & crash alot! Not sure if it will work on all plastics but has worked on everything I've tried.

• Members

look up a sign making company near you, they can hook you up with good plastic glues. The runny liquid kind, I cant for the life of me remember what it's called, will sort of melt the plastic together instantly, I have some at my shop and I've purchased some from several different sign companies.

• Members

If you're dealing with delrin, or one the slick, self-lubricating "plastics" you're probably out of luck.

Delrin/acetal and similar self-lubricating plastics aren't really breakable, as I'm pretty sure the type of plastics the OP is referring to are.

For harder plastics, I usually use cyanoacrylate (Super Glue). I buy the kind sold at hobby stores. It can melt between the two pieces. For slightly more flexible plastics, I agree with MakuseruSukotto on the two-part epoxy.

• Members

That's fine. I can appreciate the comment, however I (like most people) wouldn't have the slightest idea of what kind of 'plastic' it is.

I'm trying to repair a plastic piece that is broke, what is the best 'all around' glue to try for a plastic repair.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. The problem is that if you get it wrong it may be impossible to undo. If you have a scrap of plastic that appears to be the same you might try playing with it first.

• Members

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. The problem is that if you get it wrong it may be impossible to undo. If you have a scrap of plastic that appears to be the same you might try playing with it first.

Thanks, I do appreciate your reply and everyone else who posted. I have a much better idea of what I'm doing although will probably have to experiment a bit.

Email and posting is difficult at times as people can read a message wrong. For instance, the following phrase has 7 totally different meanings depending on which word you put the accent: "He didn't say he stole her jewelry."

Thanks to all!

• Members

I've had real good luck with the glue that is used for PVC pluming pipe. Its been a while, but there are versions for the various types of plastic pipe, and one that is "universal". I use that one for all my plastic jobs, and it works great...kind of melts the plastic together.

• Members

I wouldnt use gorilla glue, also the glue for PVC pipe actually melts the plastic to get it to bond. Epoxy putty would be my first choice. We used it to repair plastic covers for business equipment like printers and copier doors. You just mix it and rub it in where it was needed. Dries like a rock. They do make an epoxy especially designed for plastic. It dries much harder than standaard epoxy. I would think Hot glue would work. Silicone might stick but wouldnt have a strong bond without some other glue holding the bond first.

• Members

Melting the plastic together gives you the strongest bond...its like arc welding for metal, where the metal melts together. Other glues stick to the outside of the plastic, and thus may come off, as many do, which is the problem the original poster has.

Plus, melting the plastic together is what the solvent glues sold at hobby shops do...its just that the PVC glue I mentioned does not dry almost instantly, so it is mcuh easier to work with, and much much cheaper.

• Members

I agree its a strong bond for PVC, but it depends on the plastic and how its needs to look when you're done. Alot of that PVC glue is orange which may not be as pleasing to the eye.

The poster is short on details weather its got to look good or just be strong.

Archived