Recommend me a cheap swedish metal dist box.

Cryptos

• Members

The HM-2 is the obvious answer but there overpriced i'm thinking about either the digitech death metal or the behringer HM300 it's a remake of the HM-2 and it's priced right. This is purely for fun something to throw in front of the clean channel of my RX120 not to gig or record with. I don't want to spend over 50$ either.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin Rules

View Post

Does the metal casing have to be made in Sweden?

I've got the Digitech and it's not bad for just messing around with.

Hell of a lot better than a Metal Zone.

That's the idea something over the top yet decent to have some fun with. Boss should just reissue the HM-2 it's not a great pedal but it has it's uses for Entombed type stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shane159

View Post

The HM300 is a very good copy of the hm-2. I have both and the HM300 is every bit as good. In fact I would say it has a tad more clarity.

Thanks man that's what i needed to know Ebay has one for 24$ i'm gonna grab one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin Rules

View Post

Actually, I've got a vid I did some time back with the Digi. Low quality and all that, but it should give you an idea. I was running it into the low input of my JMP with the amp set for a really fat clean.

That sounds pretty good. The HM-2 and HM300 just have a chainsaw type sound that can't really be done with any other distortion box that I have heard.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shane159

View Post

That sounds pretty good. The HM-2 and HM300 just have a chainsaw type sound that can't really be done with any other distortion box that I have heard.

I hear you. It's that At the Gates kind of percussive grind thing. I'd say the Digi is more suited to thrash.

Then again, I'm also more suited to thrash, so that might have something to do with it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

View Post

Do people like the hm-2 now?? Wtf??

I sold one to hottkarl for like $45 years ago icon_lol.gif

Cool! They do have a very specific sound..

Yeah dude. Trap Them, Nails, All Pigs Must Die, Black Breath, and a bunch of other bands on Southern Lord records.. they sound great in the right application.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

View Post

Do people like the hm-2 now?? Wtf??

I sold one to hottkarl for like $45 years ago icon_lol.gif

Cool! They do have a very specific sound..

The HM-2 has been a favourite for a while now, for those who want that old Swedish death metal sound. idn_smilie.gif They can do some nice stuff on the lower of the two gain settings (icon_lol.gif), although I wouldn't call it the most flexible pedal. Can be handy stacking with other stuff though, or tightened up a bit if you cut the lows in front of it. idn_smilie.gif

Quote Originally Posted by murch33

View Post

The old DOD Death Metal is my favorite ridiculous pedal ever. I've had it forever - I need to dig it out and A/B it with my VH-140C's gain channel.

From what I recall of the DOD, the general idea was "maximum gain, minimum mids, whether you like it or not". icon_lol.gif

• Members

The deathmetal has it's uses to and i was going to buy it but the dist isn't really adjustable and the MH300 is less money. Ebay had the HM300 but i forgot i don't have a paypal account and it's out of stock at MF, guitarcenter and everyware else , but i found one in stock new from parts express .The deathmetal is probably a good alternative to the HM-2/HM300.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DeadNight Warrior

View Post

From what I recall of the DOD, the general idea was "maximum gain, minimum mids, whether you like it or not". icon_lol.gif

It's been years since I used it, but I'm pretty sure it's got a 3-band EQ. No control over the gain level, though. icon_lol.gif

• Members

I've been using the HM-2 in my bass rig for years, it's perfect for bass guitar. a cheap alternative is the DOD Super American Metal FX-56B, the 4 knob version with the bass knob. apparently it's circuit is practically identical to the HM-2. I own both, sure enough, they sound do sound the same.

Archived