Who here has modded the crap out of a Valve Jr?

ej

• Members

did the "marshall mods" (if i remember correctly, that was the name) and replaced the OT with a hammond 125DSE (15 watt iron). sounded a lot more like a marshall and a whole lot punchier. imho, i would just replace the OT with a hammond and be done.

Did exactly the same thing, plus added in a switchable L-pad for "half power" and added two clipping diode circuits in a 3-way switch (no clipping/symmetrical silicon clipping/asymmetrical germanium and LED clipping). Also swapped out stock 8" speaker for a 10" Jensen MOD.

• Members

I modded the absolute hell out of mine. Literally aside from the chassis and cabinet, the only thing stock are the input/output jacks.

I moved the whole thing over to a p2p eyelet board frok watts tube audio instead of the printed circuit, got the mercury package to replace transformers and add a choke, which also adds a 6v6 in the power amp to boost it up to 12-15 watts. Also have added a tone knob with pull for bass boost and the 3-way Marshall/Vox/Fender switch.

All told, there's probably 500-600 dollars in it, and overall I love it. There's still a couple things I want to do. I want to change the 4-8-16 ohm outputs to 2 parallel outputs with a selector knob, and to move it into a custom chassis and cabinet to just forgo the VJr cosmetics altogether.

Archived