Kickstarter?

Seattle Doug

• Members

Hey, have any of you ever participated in a Kickstarter project? If I do an amp project in Kickstarter, and post about it here, would that be considered SPAM? I think I have a couple of pretty cool ideas which would be fun / productive to do via this way of funding, but I am eager to know what some of you think about it. Thanks!

• Members

I think it can be cool idea if you are providing something of value to the customer while getting funding for yourself.

An example of something done right was Verellen doing tube preamp pedals:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/221832461/verellen-amplifiers-tube-preamplifier-pedals

I wouldn't consider it spam, I think your hitting a portion of your target market by posting here.

• Members

Yeah I spoke with Ben V about his, he was pleased with how it went. I'll have to produce a video too. BTW, one project I'm thinking about is with those GOLDEA folks. A few of their amps have raised eyebrows around here, and they have some new, lower-wattage/less expensive stuff. I think I would brand them WhiteBox though, maybe offer custom cabs to go with them.

Also, I'm thinking the FRFR line might go well as a Kickstarter. I haven't had the distribution support I had hoped for to meet the MOQ, but, the design is done and just sitting there... maybe a buy-direct project would be possible but the quantities necessary to do the Class D amp stuff would be FAR greater than the aforementioned GOLDEA project, which could be quite modest in funding goals.

• Members

Oh good - yeah, I think it was a really good amp, but, expensive at factory cost. Their new lower cost stuff is still a bit pricey but they allow really low quantities to offset that, and, if I can set up a direct to consumer price structure, it could be valuable and fun to do.

• Members

Thanks Billy, but I would have to NOT brand it JCA - that would be too direct of a conflict to distributors and dealers who have invested in inventory of my current products. To offer a different JCA product in direct sales might be too abrasive. I think I would brand it WBE though.

• Members

Thanks Billy, but I would have to NOT brand it JCA - that would be too direct of a conflict to distributors and dealers who have invested in inventory of my current products. To offer a different JCA product in direct sales might be too abrasive. I think I would brand it WBE though.

But isn't WBE your "high-end" brand with the USA-made cabs? I am not sure how putting rebranded imported products under that name would affect the sales of your more expensive USA cab line... I think people who paid 600-700 on a custom cab wouldn't be too happy to see cheap amps coming out with that same brand.

• Members

But isn't WBE your "high-end" brand with the USA-made cabs? I am not sure how putting rebranded imported products under that name would affect the sales of your more expensive USA cab line... I think people who paid 600-700 on a custom cab wouldn't be too happy to see cheap amps coming out with that same brand.

I think that's a really good point. Hmmm.

• Members

I do have another URL I have been sitting on - ampfactory.com - which could be great for these projects, but, I don't have the bandwidth currently to do up a new logo and website, etc.

No need for a new website, you could still sell them through wbe.com. I just wouldn't brand the amps themselves as a White Box product. So you would just need another name and logo.

• Members

yep.

You should start charging for advice :lol:

I think Kickstarter is pretty awesome and has no problem with it. Just as long as it isn't terribly overpriced rewards. Ie a {censored}ty Victory records band who offers a "hang out for a day with us" thing for like $5k, and you have to pay to get to them.

• Members

You should start charging for advice
:lol:

I think Kickstarter is pretty awesome and has no problem with it. Just as long as it isn't terribly overpriced rewards. Ie a {censored}ty Victory records band who offers a "hang out for a day with us" thing for like $5k, and you have to pay to get to them.

Oh, I don't plan to do any 'rewards', just straight purchases. $399 for this head, $299 for this cab, $499 for both together. That kind of thing.

Archived