unexpected NAD

guitarbilly74

• Members

so yesterday my gf texted me and asked if I wanted a Marshall amp.... I replied "uh.. let me think... hell yeah?" and she said she was at a friends house and her friend's ex had left an amp there many years ago and never claimed it so she was giving it away. She said it was an old amp and it said Marshall on it but she couldn't tell exactly what kind of amp it was.

Anyway, she brings it over and it's a AVT50 Valvestate combo. :lol: So not exactly old or valuable but hey it's a free amp dammit!! It sounded a bit weak and bright at first but I replaced the 12AX7 and it's a lot better now. It definitely has a Marshall vibe to it and it's not a bad amp for practicing and open mic jamming etc...

It definitely needs a speaker upgrade. I plugged it into my 4x12 just for {censored}s and giggles and it made a huge difference. Not sure if I will spend any money on it though LOL

tl;dr: got a new amp... pretty decent for what I paid for, which is nothing :lol:

• Members

Bilyl thats not a bad amp, its usable imo

The Marshall AVT series with NO effects (Just regular EQ - Mid, Gain, Bass, Treb, etc) was nicer sounding than the combos with the affects built into them. Im not sure why but everytime i played em they were warmer and less shrill than the AVTs with effects

A different speaker or a extension cabinet is a idea as well, nice score and dont be afraid to play that sumbitch - BTW also try out a different pre-amp tube, that might improve the sound, but its a usable amp for sure

happy new FREE amp day

• Members

Bilyl thats not a bad amp, its usable imo

The Marshall AVT series with NO effects (Just regular EQ - Mid, Gain, Bass, Treb, etc) was nicer sounding than the combos with the affects built into them. Im not sure why but everytime i played em they were warmer and less shrill than the AVTs with effects

A different speaker or a extension cabinet is a idea as well, nice score and dont be afraid to play that sumbitch - BTW also try out a different pre-amp tube, that might improve the sound, but its a usable amp for sure

happy new FREE amp day

Yeah I did replace the pre amp tube with a Ruby 12AX7 and it did improve the tone. I agree it's not a bad amp at all, much better than I expected it to be actually. It does the Marshall thing quite well at low to mid volume.

• Members

When she said it was an old one, I was expecting a JMP
:love:

It turns out it was just a Valvestate that looked old because it was too {censored}ing dusty
:lol:

But yeah free amp FTW so no complaints here
:)

I gotta admit I was keeping my fingers crossed it was a JMP as well :lol:

but still, for a grab and go combo, you can't beat FREE {censored}IN MARSHALL!

Archived