What should i trade my Mark III in for??

Deconstruction

• Members

I've had the same setup for a good 5 years. i've kinda developed my sound around that amp and it's worked great so far but... i feel i need a change. Thinking about selling my Mesa Mark III (or trading for something) and starting new with my tone?? Was thinking a 5150 at first, but it seems everyone is using those amps these days, and sounding like everyone else is something i don't want, so i think i want something else. I need a tight amp that'll bring the character of my guitars out well and will sound articulate in drop tunings. Jcm-800 with a boost maybe?

• Members

save and buy a jcm or jmp to run in stereo with the mark III. its the only thing that makes sense. i just got a mark III in the last few months and its so easy to play on. i know why they have such a loyal following. i now run it stereo with my '77 jmp. crushing in a room...

• Members

save and buy a jcm or jmp to run in stereo with the mark III. its the only thing that makes sense. i just got a mark III in the last few months and its so easy to play on. i know why they have such a loyal following. i now run it stereo with my '77 jmp. crushing in a room...

Ya, maybe... it'll be a while though before i can save that much, though. What do you use to run in stereo with? (ab/y pedal?) without getting a ground loop? i've tried using a stereo chorus pedal for that purpose, but couldn't get rid of the nasty hum from the ground loop it created when running into two amps.

• Members

Ya, maybe... it'll be a while though before i can save that much, though. What do you use to run in stereo with? (ab/y pedal?) without getting a ground loop? i've tried using a stereo chorus pedal for that purpose, but couldn't get rid of the nasty hum from the ground loop it created when running into two amps.

right now im using some a/b box my roomate loaned me, i think its a caroline pedal(made locally). i just switched the ground polarity on the mesa.. im not real knowledgeable with these things, but its working good, and i havent had any excessive noise..? im prob gonna get the guy at caroline pedals to build me one after the holidays. this one doesnt have a light on it, and i really want one..

• Members

right now im using some a/b box my roomate loaned me, i think its a caroline pedal(made locally). i just switched the ground polarity on the mesa.. im not real knowledgeable with these things, but its working good, and i havent had any excessive noise..? im prob gonna get the guy at caroline pedals to build me one after the holidays. this one doesnt have a light on it, and i really want one..

• Members

that and it actually took me a few weeks to find a good red stripe to buy, might be hard to find one again if you off it.

Mine's a red stripe too. Had it serviced by Mesa recently... new caps and {censored}. Yeah, i'd probably, eventually regret selling it. It's been my "go to" amp for some time, and for a reason... sounds great. Haven't played a better amp for tight, articulate down-tuned high gain rhythms. But you know how it is... feel like i need a different sound. Maybe i should get a new cab or mess around with pickups??

• Members

Don't sell the Mark III.

I currently have the Mark III Red Stripe SimulClass (1987) and the Mark V, and actually like the III the best. Just for reference, I've had the JVM410, Boogie Mark IV, Peavey Classic 30, Marshall DSL 50, Marshall 2266, and a slew of others.

Not that I'm the guru of tone, but the Mark III can do cleans, classic crunch type sounds, and high gain modern sounds. I recently got a Baja Telecaster and the Mark III has no problem giving the goods with the single coils. If anything, try a different guitar with it, change your pickups, or buy an extra amp.

I think the Mark III is the most overlooked amp around as far as stellar cleans and high gain lead.

• Members

I've had the same setup for a good 5 years. i've kinda developed my sound around that amp and it's worked great so far but... i feel i need a change. Thinking about selling my Mesa Mark III (or trading for something) and starting new with my tone?? Was thinking a 5150 at first, but it seems everyone is using those amps these days, and sounding like everyone else is something i don't want, so i think i want something else. I need a tight amp that'll bring the character of my guitars out well and will sound articulate in drop tunings. Jcm-800 with a boost maybe?

Another vote for keeping the Mark III. If you do go with something else a JCM-800 with a boost is not going to be something that's unique and keep you from sounding like everyone else. That tone has been used to death and still is.

• Members

Mine's a red stripe too. Had it serviced by Mesa recently... new caps and {censored}. Yeah, i'd probably, eventually regret selling it. It's been my "go to" amp for some time, and for a reason... sounds great. Haven't played a better amp for tight, articulate down-tuned high gain rhythms. But you know how it is... feel like i need a different sound.
Maybe i should get a new cab
or mess around with pickups??

That is the correct answer. Add another cab with speakers that you don't already have. For example: if you are running V30's now, pick up a Greenback (or similar) loaded cab. Make sense?

• Members

Another vote for keeping the Mark III. If you do go with something else a JCM-800 with a boost is not going to be something that's unique and keep you from sounding like everyone else. That tone has been used to death and still is.

I know a jcm-800 is not unique, but they have a certain quality that allows the guitars tone/character shine through the tone really well. You can sound completely different depending on the guitars and pedals you use. That's something i really like. The Mark is kinda the same, but it's a little more dominating in it's character i'd say... it's pretty easy to identify when you hear it.

• Members

That is the correct answer. Add another cab with speakers that you don't already have. For example: if you are running V30's now, pick up a Greenback (or similar) loaded cab. Make sense?

Yeah, thinking about that. I use a Mesa standard cab at the moment. Do greenbacks work well with Mark's? Maybe i should try some of those EVM12L's. i hear they work great with Mesa Marks,but i'm wondering if they sound as aggressive and cutting as v30's for high gain? I hear they are more voiced for clean tones??

• Members

I know a jcm-800 is not unique, but they have a certain quality that allows the guitars tone/character shine through the tone really well. You can sound completely different depending on the guitars and pedals you use. That's something i really like. The Mark is kinda the same, but it's a little more dominating in it's character i'd say... it's pretty easy to identify when you hear it.

jcm's and jmp's are pretty bad ass, and imo, you can make yourself come thru, so i agree with that totally. the mark III is still new to me, so im kinda honeymooning, and its so damn easy to play on. if you can only afford one, i dont think you would be wrong with either..

i really dont flip amps anymore, but friggin pickups are an every other week thing.

• Members

I kind of agree but there are some many different tones in the Marks compared to the Marshall 800 tone that is kind of a one trick pony IMO. A few tweaks of the onboard EQ on a Mark and you can make it sound like a totally different amp. Different speakers can change the tone drastically also. If you want completely unique I would do what some others have suggested and keep the Mark III then get another amp to mix it with.

• Members

I kind of agree but there are some many different tones in the Marks compared to the Marshall 800 tone that is kind of a one trick pony IMO. A few tweaks of the onboard EQ on a Mark and you can make it sound like a totally different amp. Different speakers can change the tone drastically also. If you want completely unique I would do what some others have suggested and keep the Mark III then get another amp to mix it with.

Yeah, i think i will do that. Thanks for convincing me to keep the amp guys. i know it's the smart thing to do.

Can you guys recomend a ABY pedal too for doing this dual amp setup?

• Members

Yeah, that's true. they are very versatile. i just always have the graphic set a certain way so i don't think about how tonally versatile it actually is.

Archived