What is wrong with my amplifier?

gorebreath

• Members

Okay basically what happens is that in order for me to get sound from my amplifier I have to rig everything up so the guitar cable is being firmly pressed up against the inside of the input jack on the amp.
That worked for a while but the situation gets worse every time I use it, it becomes harder to find the right spot.
Both the guitar and amp jacks are on tight I have tried multiple cables along with multiple guitars. I have tried everything short of opening it up since I am not skilled that way and I don't possess the proper tools. The amp is a peavey valve king 112.
I would have brought it in somewhere to get it checked out but where I live there is no where so, yea.
Thank you.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by knucklefux

View Post

it's either a failing jack or failing solder joints if it's a full PCB amp. if it's the valve king in your sig, it's almost certainly failing solder joints.

Okay, how would I go about fixing this? I assume I need a soldering iron? What does "PCB" stand for?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gorebreath

View Post

Okay, how would I go about fixing this? I assume I need a soldering iron? What does "PCB" stand for?

yeah, if you don't know what PCB means, you should probably take it to a tech. tube amplifiers operate at lethal voltages...a small repair bill isn't something worth getting electrocuted.

• Members

while an amp tech may in your future, i'd first try taking a look at the jack prong thingys. sometimes they get caliwhacked enough to where the input cable no longer touches them.
while surgery can fix a short penis, it won't work for an instrument cable.

take a peek and see if the tong thingys can be nudged one way or the other.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer View Post
while an amp tech may in your future, i'd first try taking a look at the jack prong thingys. sometimes they get caliwhacked enough to where the input cable no longer touches them.
while surgery can fix a short penis, it won't work for an instrument cable.

take a peek and see if the tong thingys can be nudged one way or the other.
Okay, I will try this. thank ya.

Archived