O.T.- Readers, Lit and other academia, PLEASE come in and check this clip! (Draelyc!)

Stevetemp

• Members

I'm a wanna-be writer, and I have several things lying around unfinished...so I thought I;d start ANOTHER unfinished story. icon_lol.gif

Had a dream last night, little big foggy, half awake. I thought I'd put some of it to paper/screen. Would like you to read. I have taken some liberties...for example I pretty sure I have mixed tenses, incomplete sentences, artistic liberty. But I'm just trying to get a feel for a story, and my MO. This would probably be a short story, maybe even a period piece. Main character is somewhat a civilized gentleman, yet flawed and certainly obsessed. What do you think of this excerpt? Interest piqued?

Excerpt from "A Legend Lives"

I froze in my tracks. The sound I

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Stevetemp View Post
I'm a wanna-be writer, and I have several things lying around unfinished...so I thought I;d start ANOTHER unfinished story. icon_lol.gif

Had a dream last night, little big foggy, half awake. I thought I'd put some of it to paper/screen. Would like you to read. I have taken some liberties...for example I pretty sure I have mixed tenses, incomplete sentences, artistic liberty. But I'm just trying to get a feel for a story, and my MO. This would probably be a short story, maybe even a period piece. Main character is somewhat a civilized gentleman, yet flawed and certainly obsessed. What do you think of this excerpt? Interest piqued?
To be perfectly honest, it needs a lot of work. First, the grammar is horrible. You have too many fragments, run-ons, and bad punctuation. Second, I don't think you did a very good job of describing the setting. Third, it's not actually compelling or interesting. I did not want to read more.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JonVengeance View Post
To be perfectly honest; It needs a lot of work. First, the grammar is horrible. Second, the grammar is horrible, Third, the grammar is horrible. And last but not least the grammar is horrible
Fixed.

Grammar was so bad I couldn't even read that. If you really want to be a witer, you must master the tools of your trade.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JonVengeance

View Post

To be perfectly honest; it needs a lot of work. First, the grammar is horrible. You have too many fragments, run-ons, and bad punctuation. Second, I don't think you did a very good job of describing the setting. Third, it's not actually compelling or interesting. I did not want to read more.

...Says the person who misused a semi-colon right off the bat.

• Members

Frankly, it's not good, Steve. By orders of magnitude.

If writing is something you're interested in, I would very much suggest checking out the class and workshop offerings at a local community college. Your writing needs help on virtually every level, and it can be very, very difficult to learn these things on your own.

• Members

Thank you to everyone who responded.

TBH...I would call this more of a "Scribble". I hurriedly wrote this during a work break to attempt to capture some of my dream/late night hallucination. I also indeed want it to appear to be more diary-like than Academic.

The stark scenery description complaint? "not a very good job with the setting"? First off...I do imagine the Himalayas during an approaching snow storm IS very stark, bleak, and not a lot to comment on, not that I've been there. rolleyes.gifcop.gif. I wanted my narrative to fit that. Lots of white...granite rock, darkening blue sky. Not much else going on. idn_smilie.gif

I suppose that much-needed research would fill that out a little bit.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with professional writing...but most often even it needs "serious work" by a knowledgeable trusted colleague. The trick is...and I have this on supremely good authorities (pro writers that I have corresponded with...Jeffrey Carver being one)...to just keep writing, and do NOT get locked down by too much detail.

I asked Mr. Carver how he made space flight and engines believable. He said "Not too much detail and just make it happen like it is a perfectly taken-for-granted operation". I lol'd.

Again thanks. I might be brave enough to share some better writings. Early drafts are a biotch.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BrendanO View Post
Frankly, it's not good, Steve. By orders of magnitude.

If writing is something you're interested in, I would very much suggest checking out the class and workshop offerings at a local community college. Your writing needs help on virtually every level, and it can be very, very difficult to learn these things on your own.

Thanks dude! I just might. I do have academic books here to consult, but as I said...this is more of a diary than anything, plus and early, and coming-to-believe embarrassing draft. You don't have anything more specific?

I honestly didn't realize that some of you would be so interested! You...Billy? Not ANY of you, not ONE person..... found it REMOTELY worth horse{censored}? I'm a little surprised.

• Members
Thanks dude! I just might. I do have academic books here to consult, but as I said...this is more of a diary than anything, plus and early, and coming-to-believe embarrassing draft. You don't have anything more specific?

I honestly didn't realize that some of you would be so interested! You...Billy? Not ANY of you, not ONE person..... found it REMOTELY worth horse{censored}? I'm a little surprised.
I am sorry brother, the problem I am having with it is I read it three times and I still don't know what the hell you are talking about. I know your character was at the Himalayas... and I think there is a storm approaching?? Other than that idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Steve, I think one of the biggest problems is that, like in most of your posts, no one seems to get what it is that you are going on about, which usually yields no one caring what you are going on about. I'm definitely not any sort of a writer, so I can't give specifics on what is lacking, but when I read this little snippet, I just get frustrated because you aren't conveying anything to me. I know that in a lot of your posts, you seem to be juggling several ideas, but you don't seem to be able to express any of those very clearly, which may be what is going on here. I don't know.

I wish you the best of luck though. I am not trying to discourage you.

• Members

If you're surprised, just take it for what it's worth.

I could give you specifics, but it wouldn't help. You're missing and/or lacking some fundamentals, tools, and skills; the specifics wouldn't build on anything. Going over the piece word by word (and it does need that kind of help) wouldn't be a learning experience. I'm sure you'd comprehend everything I said, but I'm also sure you wouldn't be able to understand and apply it in a way that would allow you to be more successful in your craft. You can't build on sand. Which is why I recommend taking come classes and workshops: to get that critical foundation in place. THEN the specifics would help.

Until then? Work on your tone, voice, grammar, syntax, structure, punctuation, word choice and tenses.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BrendanO View Post
If you're surprised, just take it for what it's worth.

I could give you specifics, but it wouldn't help. You're missing and/or lacking some fundamentals, tools, and skills; the specifics wouldn't build on anything. Going over the piece word by word (and it does need that kind of help) wouldn't be a learning experience. I'm sure you'd comprehend everything I said, but I'm also sure you wouldn't be able to understand and apply it in a way that would allow you to be more successful in your craft. You can't build on sand. Which is why I recommend taking come classes and workshops: to get that critical foundation in place. THEN the specifics would help.

Until then? Work on your tone, voice, grammar, syntax, structure, punctuation, word choice and tenses.

So...you really couldn't pick ONE aspect? Just as an example? Like a classroom might. Like a good professor might chose one example of literature as the lecture topic? I can imagine that there are numerous problems. If I thought it was perfect, I would have submitted it to your publisher.

I thought that some people would find SOMETHING....one thing to compliment. For example...I did say:

"My eyes searched for the sound". Well...eyes do not search for sound. Ears do. I felt it was a nice twist.

I also said "jagged snowy claws angry at the gods for a harsh life". As if the most giant of mountains can be angry.

My main character is both obsessed and in love with his...obsession...AND in fear of it. I felt this a good literal example of ALL of our lives.

Maybe I'm not communicating all this in a Stephen King way....but I would think HCAF experts would recognize the tools being used, no matter how dull.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phrophus View Post
Steve, I think one of the biggest problems is that, like in most of your posts, no one seems to get what it is that you are going on about, which usually yields no one caring what you are going on about. I'm definitely not any sort of a writer, so I can't give specifics on what is lacking, but when I read this little snippet, I just get frustrated because you aren't conveying anything to me. I know that in a lot of your posts, you seem to be juggling several ideas, but you don't seem to be able to express any of those very clearly, which may be what is going on here. I don't know.

I wish you the best of luck though. I am not trying to discourage you.
I take your comments very much to heart! Even your reference to my usual HCAF posts.

But not being able to zero into anything specific is kind of harsh. "just can't relate".

Okay. Okay...I need to find a way to relate. I totally understand! But not sure how to overcome.

Archived