Chef humor.

Snappy Hat

• Members

Since it appears there are quite a few foodies in here ,
this is from a chef forum talking about odd orders they have
gotten. If you ever cooked this is some funny {censored} .

This happened the other day.

We get an order for a filet mignon. The ticket says... 8oz Filet - Medium - w/ Push. We ask the server. "Uh, WTF is this 'with push'"? She says the customer said that she wanted it cooked medium but make sure and push all the blood out of it. She doesn't want ANY blood. "Ok?" we say and get right on it. After it's cooked we plate it up and the lead says "Make sure and puuuuush it!!!" I push it. Nothing happens. He says "HARDER!" I squish it with my palm and a little blood comes out. He says "No, get all that {censored}in blood out!" I do like a CPR push. Pumping it. More blood comes out but we can tell there's more blood inside. He's says "Just smack it good." So I pound down on it with my fist. Blood spatters everywhere! We all bust out laughing. The other cook comes up and gives it another wack. The steak is still intact for the most part, just tenderized. The lead comes up and punches it as with about as hard as he could. Blood flies everywhere and the steak is seriously {censored}ed up and mangled after that punch. I yell out "Oh, {censored}!" As I see that I'm going to have to start over. I see the bottom exterior of the steak is still mostly intact and I say "Just flip it over and put it back together!" So, I flip it over and bunch it together to resemble a steak again. Surprisingly, it looked like three guys didn't just beat it after I re-assembled and re-plated it. It looked perfect! We all stare at the plate and bust up laughing again at the perfect looking steak and send it out.

Sure enough, the server comes back with a disappointed look on her face after the lady complains. The complaint was...not that it was falling apart and beat up. She wanted it cooked more. She says "She wants it cooked medium still. Just more well done, NOT 'well done'. With less blood." So we say "Uh, like mid-well?" The server leaves to clarify that. She comes back. She says "No, not medium well or well done. She wants Medium. But cooked more and with less blood." We just stare at her with a blank look and jaws dropped.

Then the server says... "She liked how you guys pushed it, though. It was really tender, she says."

• Members

Being a cook in Niagara Falls is pretty hilarious. Lots of drug addicts and criminals get jobs as dishwashers, and they are usually the most entertaining.

Nothing is better than asking the newly hired crackhead 40 year old dishwasher to "go upstairs, and ask Building Maintenance for a 'bucket of steam'" then re-iterate that you need that bucket of steam FAST!

Ever see a crackhead running around asking for a bucket of steam? Try it.

I once worked with a guy who spent an entire shift using mayonaise instead of garlic butter.

I once worked with a guy who couldn't understand why the mayo kept disappearing from his insert. Turns out he was using a hotel pan with holes in the bottom, and he found quite the surprise when he opened up the fridge down below.

Not sure if this would be chef humor or asshole cook humor. Most chefs I've worked under have been the biggest douch bags I've ever met. Egos the size of the solar system.

I once saw a kid poor a small bucket of water into a large bucket of HOT HOT HOT fryer grease. Needless to say, he spent the next 5 hours mopping up grease from under every machine in the kitchen.

• Members

If I'm in really nice restaurant I'll sometimes order things "chef's choice" because I figure (right or wrong) the chef knows how to cook without my input.

I think I was at the Breakers in Palm Beach and I did that with some venison that I ordered. The server came back and said "the chef said you made a huge mistake by asking for chef's choice". The meat was basically raw with just the outside seared (it was fantastic).

The chef came out to the table and brought some wine and had a drink with us and got us from free deserts and after dinner drinks.

• Members

I love the Cheftalk forums.

I've gotten:

"Mac and cheese, no cheese"
"Burger, everything but the burger"
"Eggwhite omelet, no oil (NO {censored}ING OIL!?), extra bacon and cheese
"Extra salsa, but no onions in it"
"Medium rare, no pink"
"I'll take the fresh linguine, cooked al dente"

Archived