AWESOME Keith Merrow video comparing Bare Knuckle vs Seymour Duncan

Chrisjd

• Members

I like the Aftermath also. I have early 90's Tokai Les Paul with the Aftermath, and I have a 99 Les Paul Custom with a Duncan Distortion in it. I never am one to give a {censored} about having a real Gibson as long as it plays good, but I prefer the Gibson over the Tokai as far as sound. That being said I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom that has been overhauled to the point that it even has a one pound piece of lead inlaid in the back. I bought the guitar that way as a beater, but I ended up putting a Painkiller in it , and I have never been happier. Huge mids, tight bottom, and cleans up like a champ.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen View Post
I really liked the SD Distortion best, then the Aftermath. I was actually surprised at the clarity of the Invader. I was expecting it to be way too fat, however of the 4, it was my least favorite.

The Distortion has the right eq for that tuning and style!

Cole
Exactly. For that downtuned riffing, it's perfect.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief View Post
Admitting I'm on a laptop, this was my conclusion as well. The differences are so small that in a blind test you wouldn't be able to pick them apart most likely.
This always boggles my mind when I hear people critique a mix or in this case the differences in pickups, which are clearly heard, and you or anyone else, make their conclusions from listening on a laptop or in some cases a phone!lol. I,of course, understand listening to sumthin on your laptop cause it's most convenient, but when you need more critical listening, it's clearly not going to be up to the task. Most laptop speakers are severely hyped and are about the most unnatural thing I listen to. I think it's a sign of the times that people listen on inferior speakers at inferior mp3 sample rates, but man, when voicing an opinion on sound and you listen thru a laptop or worse, you clearly aren't hearing the details,.because there are differences in this video very clearly.. And then you state that one could not tell the difference in a blind test and that's really absurd. First, even a great recording still won't reproduce all the nuances of being in the room.. Then take in the fact it's been converted to whatever YouTube plays at nowadays, then factor in you listing on a laptop, which has what? A 1 1/2 inch deep cabinet/housing? That can't be good for accuracy..lol. That's a lot of degradation in quality.. I would safely guarantee the differences in the room and while playing would be fairly significant..

Whenever I browse on my laptop and listen to music I always listen with some nice headphones. It's worth it..

• Members

Going back and forth without looking which pickup is in use, even solo'd, I can't really hear a difference no matter how hard I try. At least not as big as I do know those pickups have irl. Aftermath has slightly more pick attack but it could be his playing. Listening through studio monitors.

Then again, I know to negate my expectation bias with these sorts of tests. If you expect them to sound different, they will.

• Members

Distortion for me. It has the bite i like. I'm not a Warpig fan. They sound a little too american modern for my tastes. The Aftermath sounded a bit smooth. Got a little lost.

But in that application, i would say i liked them all.

• Members

god i love keith merrow so much. He is everything I want to be in a player, his finesse and touch are just off the charts. He writes the greatest riffs in thw rold. I listen to his ep that he put out a few years ago all the time. I liked the WArpig the best, i have a warpig in a Dean V that I hae, its such an amazing pup and Im glad i heard it here against these other fine pups.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime View Post
This always boggles my mind when I hear people critique a mix or in this case the differences in pickups, which are clearly heard, and you or anyone else, make their conclusions from listening on a laptop or in some cases a phone!lol. I,of course, understand listening to sumthin on your laptop cause it's most convenient, but when you need more critical listening, it's clearly not going to be up to the task. Most laptop speakers are severely hyped and are about the most unnatural thing I listen to. I think it's a sign of the times that people listen on inferior speakers at inferior mp3 sample rates, but man, when voicing an opinion on sound and you listen thru a laptop or worse, you clearly aren't hearing the details,.because there are differences in this video very clearly.. And then you state that one could not tell the difference in a blind test and that's really absurd. First, even a great recording still won't reproduce all the nuances of being in the room.. Then take in the fact it's been converted to whatever YouTube plays at nowadays, then factor in you listing on a laptop, which has what? A 1 1/2 inch deep cabinet/housing? That can't be good for accuracy..lol. That's a lot of degradation in quality.. I would safely guarantee the differences in the room and while playing would be fairly significant..

Whenever I browse on my laptop and listen to music I always listen with some nice headphones. It's worth it..
Dude......

Take a DEEEEEP breath...Relax...Inhale...Exhale...

I was making points BASED ON HEARING ON A LAPTOP, as my first sentence stated. Next time, I'll stop what I'm doing, go to the studio room, fire up the PC, turn on my recording monitors and then and ONLY then, will I comment...I would hate to displease Endtime again...

freak.gif

Seriously dude, it was an observation based on listening on a laptop...It won't happen again sir...Sorry for offending you.

• Members

I like how smooth the aftermath sounds. Duncan distortion in second, then invader, then warpig. Theres something that I still dont like about the aftermath, though...I think the his in the BKPs are too harsh, generally speaking. I felt that way about my painkillers, too. Im sticking with my dimarzio dominion, though I wouldnt mind trying a duncan distortion at some point.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by murch33

View Post

Is there an ideal body wood and/or tuning for the Distortion? I've got a Gibby V with stock pickups that I'd like to swap out, and I also don't tune clear down to drop Q much anymore.

My experience is that it sounds best in mahogony. It sounds fantastic in any tuning, but because it is tight and grindy, it really helps out in lower tuned applications.

Archived