Anyone played a blackface twin reverb?

gutterking

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

yes the blackface sounds better than the silverface...

but it's also really easy to mod a silverface to blackface specs... so YMMV.... if you are not a collector, get a SF or RI and mod it.

Is this something you've done? I looked up a couple of mod kits and it just looks like a handful of caps and resistors.

I'll probably kill myself trying to do the mod myself, but I'm not dead set on living all that long anyway

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gutterking

View Post

Is this something you've done? I looked up a couple of mod kits and it just looks like a handful of caps and resistors.

I'll probably kill myself trying to do the mod myself, but I'm not dead set on living all that long anyway

yes I've done that mod before and you don't need a mod kit... just buy the parts and download the instructions .. they're easy to find online.

However, if you think you will kill yourself doing it, you're probably right. Take it to a tech, it won't cost that much to have a tech do it for you.. around $200 parts+labor...

• Members

Only one way to get into modding...just dive the {censored} in. Just be careful and youll be fine. Ive modded a crate V18-112 and a 5150 with basically just pickup install experience and I had zero issues, and both worked perfectly right after the mods too. Just do it. Youll find its not as difficult or scary as you think.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

yes I've done that mod before and you don't need a mod kit... just buy the parts and download the instructions .. they're easy to find online.

But this looks like such a bargain at only $50: http://vintagefenderamprepair.com/wp...to-6-inch3.jpg

Not embedded because it's a big ass picture.

I just looked them up to see what was in them, I don't plan on throwing 50 bucks away.

• Members

wave.gif I play one! You can see it in the "oldest amp" thread, if you care to.

There's a lot of speculation about BF verses SF. But Billy is right....you can pretty much get BF sound with some "modding", like caps and such. If that is what you want! Some players actually prefer the silverface sound and there's nothing wrong with that.

Here's the story that I have from a trusted source (I paraphrase as best I can):

Way back in the day, Leo's engineers wanted to change the BF design to a cleaner sound. Leo said...no, my best players (his customers) demanded the more colored sound...that is what they want that's what they'll get. Engineers sulked a little, but they did as told. When Leo left, the engineers had a party, changed the design, and presented the silverface. The rest, as they say, is mysterious history.

Well...except that if you want, you could get BF parts and put them in your SF smile.gif

If you are going to pay more than a grand over a silverface.....that seems excessive. Around here (not Billy's California smile.gif ) silverface are still 500 600 nominally. Can get BF for 1000 thereabouts. If it's really a true blackface bloodline you want...I'd look around some more.

You don't want a museum piece. You want something a little aged and yellowed....maybe cigarette burn or two. You'll want to be able to take it out and use it, I presume?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gutterking

View Post

I'm considering putting in a trade offer for 1967 blackface twin, but I'm skeptical that the blackface-ness is really worth the extra grand over a silverface version. Your thoughts/experiences?

I used to be a vintage fender amp fanatic and I've own a bunch of them ranging from 50s tweeds to late 70s silverfaced amps.

I've had a bunch of twins reverbs over the years, blackface (two), early silverface, middle years silverface, master volume'd silverfaced, silverfaced modded to blackface specs and reissues and here is my take.

If you want to play the amp and aren't looking for an investment then I'd say go with an early silverfaced version. I've A/B'd black and non-master volume silverfaced twins and with my eyes closed I couldn't tell much of a if any difference. I couldn't tell any difference between the silverfaced amps converted to blackfaced specs that I played.

I wouldn't automatically discount the master volume amps either. I don't think they sound bad at all.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Stevetemp

View Post

wave.gif I play one! You can see it in the "oldest amp" thread, if you care to.

There's a lot of speculation about BF verses SF. But Billy is right....you can pretty much get BF sound with some "modding", like caps and such. If that is what you want! Some players actually prefer the silverface sound and there's nothing wrong with that.

Here's the story that I have from a trusted source (I paraphrase as best I can):

Way back in the day, Leo's engineers wanted to change the BF design to a cleaner sound. Leo said...no, my best players (his customers) demanded the more colored sound...that is what they want that's what they'll get. Engineers sulked a little, but they did as told. When Leo left, the engineers had a party, changed the design, and presented the silverface. The rest, as they say, is mysterious history.

Well...except that if you want, you could get BF parts and put them in your SF smile.gif

If you are going to pay more than a grand over a silverface.....that seems excessive. Around here (not Billy's California smile.gif ) silverface are still 500 600 nominally. Can get BF for 1000 thereabouts. If it's really a true blackface bloodline you want...I'd look around some more.

You don't want a museum piece. You want something a little aged and yellowed....maybe cigarette burn or two. You'll want to be able to take it out and use it, I presume?

They cost a metric {censored}-ton around here. Anything remotely vintage is priced outrageously.

Archived