Dimarzio D-sonic vs Seymour Duncan custom

Chrisjd

• Members

I am trying to tame the brightness in my ESP M1 with an alder body and ebony board. I will be tuning to B. I like midds and a real tight bottom end. I want the pickup to sing, but have that djent sound when i palm mute.tongue.gif

Which would you recommend?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DeliriumTrigger View Post
Dominion or Crunchlab
I've been considering these as well, but I have no idea what the dominion sounds like.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedzen View Post
If you want dark and tons of mids, ToneZone or the Custom. D-Activators are ice pick bright/sharp in my Ibanez.
I think i would love the D activators in a mahogany bodied guitar with a rosewood board, but probably not in my M1.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

DiMarzio Super Distortion will make any superstrat sound huge, almost like a LP. Can't go wrong with it.

I am leery of that pickup, as well as the tone zone. I am afraid they won't be tight in the lows like i would want them to be. aren't they a little more vintage sounding? I don't believe they were voiced for downtuned guitars.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd

View Post

I am leery of that pickup, as well as the tone zone. I am afraid they won't be tight in the lows like i would want them to be. aren't they a little more vintage sounding? I don't believe they were voiced for downtuned guitars.

The Super D can stay tight no problem.... the TZ not so much..... The Super Distortion is an old design and can sound vintage but it handles high gain, low tuning really well. Even though I play more hard rock than metal, my band does play in D standard and drop C, which is not far from B tuning (1/2 step lol) and I never had an issue with the Super D.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

The Super D can stay tight no problem.... the TZ not so much..... The Super Distortion is an old design and can sound vintage but it handles high gain, low tuning really well. Even though I play more hard rock than metal, my band does play in D standard and drop C, which is not far from B tuning (1/2 step lol) and I never had an issue with the Super D.

Thanks. I'll try to find some youtube clips...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd View Post
I am trying to tame the brightness in my ESP M1 with an alder body and ebony board. I will be tuning to B. I like midds and a real tight bottom end. I want the pickup to sing, but have that djent sound when i palm mute.tongue.gif

Which would you recommend?
Are clean tones important to this guitar as well?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HumanFuseBen

View Post

I would go D Sonic all the way. I think it describes what you're wanting to a T! Although if you try it and find it too bright, i would consider swapping it through Dimarzio for a Crunchlab or D Activator. I LOVE the D Sonic!

+1

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HumanFuseBen

View Post

I would go D Sonic all the way. I think it describes what you're wanting to a T! Although if you try it and find it too bright, i would consider swapping it through Dimarzio for a Crunchlab or D Activator. I LOVE the D Sonic!

what pickups did ARC record with?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd View Post
I've been considering these as well, but I have no idea what the dominion sounds like.

I think i would love the D activators in a mahogany bodied guitar with a rosewood board, but probably not in my M1.
Have you played a dimarzio breed and an EMG 81? The dominion is like a cross between these 2.

Archived