OT: iPad 4 - Should, would? HALP! I need educated!

gtrplyr60

• Members

Are you using an iPad4 or some version of an iPad these days? yes, third gen
Has it completely replaced your desktop/laptop? Not completely (still have laptop), but a lot more than I imagined it would, to the point where I'll be buying a desktop next time.
Was that the idea behind an iPad, to replace desktops and laptops? Go from expensive laptop to iPad+cheaper and more powerful desktop, yes
If you have one, do you still need to consistently access your PC for other things? Only on the weekends, even when it comes to audio work.
Can I use an external hard drive with an iPad for storage? No
I'm not seeing a USB, so.... Many audio interfaces work with the Apple Camera Connection kit, such as Roland Duo Capture EX, or the Focusrite iSolo works with the dock connector
What are must have accessories? Case, cover, stand? I'm not worried about apps yet. Case.
What exactly is the benefit of a "cellular" version? Anytime, anywhere Internet at high speeds with LTE
Does anyone use an iPad plugged into a larger VGA screen? Is this easy/common? I don't, but it works fine.
Is the external keyboard a necessity? I don't think so. I use it only when I travel for work.
Looks like it'll run around $700.00 Worth it??? I think so. The portability and battery life are stellar, and the main reason why I love it so much.

• Members

I use mine for browsing the interwebz and watching stuff on Netflix, but replace my desktop? No.

I also have to read a lot of PDF files for school and I vastly prefer doing that on my iPad vs a computer screen. It's closer to real paper.

The touch keyboard isn't bad, but its no where near as effective as a real one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 3 like a couple millimeters thicker than the 2? freak.gif I had a 2, and I haven't noticed the thickness or weight being a problem between the 2 and 3... freak.gif

I noticed. It goes from being just right to not quite right. Simple as that.

• Members
Are you using an iPad4 or some version of an iPad these days?
Yes, first gen 16gb.

Has it completely replaced your desktop/laptop?
not even close. I use it for general browsing and watching netflix. Anything beyond that I use the pc.

Was that the idea behind an iPad, to replace desktops and laptops?
I got mine because a friend was selling his really cheap

If you have one, do you still need to consistently access your PC for other things?
yes, but it's weekly not daily. I still rip disks, download stuff, synch my phone and schoolwork. I don't need to fire up the pc if I just want to look something up or watch netflix.

Can I use an external hard drive with an iPad for storage?
I'm not seeing a USB, so....
I'd guess no unless there's some new adapter.

What are must have accessories? Case, cover, stand? I'm not worried about apps yet.
a nice case is all I needed.

What exactly is the benefit of a "cellular" version?
You can take it anywhere and aren't confinded to wifi hotspots.

Does anyone use an iPad plugged into a larger VGA screen? Is this easy/common?
I don't but on the newer ipads doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of that hi res screen?

Is the external keyboard a necessity?
Nope, I never use mine.

Looks like it'll run around $700.00 Worth it???
Not at all...at least not to me. I only have mine because i bought it for $100, I can't say a tablet is worth much more than that based on my experience

• Members

I use mine pretty much only for sheet music and web browsing/games. It's a nice goof off device for home, but for me the reason I bought it was to keep sheet music, tabs and music notes organized and accessible for rehearsals and some performances.

In no way does it replace my laptop/home computer...Not by a long shot.

but it's fun to have and great for a performing musician.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd View Post
I'd much rather use a nice desktop.

I have the Asus transformer and I think it smokes my dad's ipad.
I had an Asus Transformer Prime for 2 weeks and ditched it for the iPad 3. THe Asus was great, but the Apple's display is better, and the battery life just kills the Asus. But the biggest issue was that the iPad just has more to offer a performing/recording musician...Android has basically nothing.

That said, for regular computing and play, I MUCH prefer Android.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wok View Post
good luck taking your desktop on the train icon_lol.gif
I drive a car. It takes me 6 minutes to get into my ramp at work.

Quote Originally Posted by nwright View Post
I had an Asus Transformer Prime for 2 weeks and ditched it for the iPad 3. THe Asus was great, but the Apple's display is better, and the battery life just kills the Asus. But the biggest issue was that the iPad just has more to offer a performing/recording musician...Android has basically nothing.

That said, for regular computing and play, I MUCH prefer Android.
See, I did a comparison of my transformer pad against my dad's ipad 2. My transformer isn't the best one they make(the asus prime and infinity are full 1080p)

End result i noticed hard to tell what looked better. personally i thought the asus looked better while streaming the same youtube clip on both units. Also, battery life is AWESOME on the Asus pads.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd View Post
I drive a car. It takes me 6 minutes to get into my ramp at work.

See, I did a comparison of my transformer pad against my dad's ipad 2. My transformer isn't the best one they make(the asus prime and infinity are full 1080p)

End result i noticed hard to tell what looked better. personally i thought the asus looked better while streaming the same youtube clip on both units. Also, battery life is AWESOME on the Asus pads.
Maybe the one I had was bad then. I was lucky to get 4 hours on the Prime I had.

I get about 10-12 hours out of my ipad. I can leave my ipad unplugged and untouched for days and when I click the button the battery life is the same as what it was when I set it down. I even charged it up one day, browsed the web for a sec and set it down with 100% showing on the battery. At least 3 days went by before I picked it up again and it was still at 100%

on the Prime, if I left it on and set it down, 9 times out of 10 the next day it wouldn't even do anything when I pushed the button...It would have turned off due to the battery dying. I had the prime at around 80% battery one day for band rehearsal at the end of a 3 hour rehearsal it shut off due to the battery being dead. I took it back the next day and got the ipad3.

The ipad's display is brighter IMO, which was a big factor for me, as the music project I bought it for plays in daylight outside. The retina displays CAN look better and the resolution is awesome. But I don't think the resolution really matters much for YT vids. Actually I think in some ways images that are a bit lower resolution look worse on the ipad vs a regular computer monitor with lower res. Text and stuff looks great, though.

Archived