OT: Suit shopping...

Sex Panther

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sex Panther

View Post

I wouldn't laugh. I used to work at Express, and 90 percent of my clothes are from there. icon_lol.gif

I actually had a really nice black suit from them that required NO tailoring. Arms, length, chest, and stomach were all perfect. I just outgrew it. It was a 36R, and I'm now a 40-42, so I gave it to a friend of mine. GREAT suit.

my trouble is finding a particular fit. I am trimmed for a 29'' waist, wear a 43/44 up top. all the pants I find within that 32-33 range (before tailoring) are slim in the legs, and my quads don't fit.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by -Assy-

View Post

indochino suits are {censored}. Good quality production, good prices, {censored} material. Same {censored} as Joe A Banks. Decent suit, but the wool is complete {censored}. My friend ordered one, wrinkles so easily, always has to get it pressed. Suits can only be pressed so many times before the material turns to {censored}.

Yeah at least at Jos A Banks you can try it on first. I've seen some very decent suits from Jos A Banks. I'm sure there are bad ones as well, but there's a range of quality there.

• Members

Yeah, the HUGO stuff looks pretty nice, I like these two...

http://store-us.hugoboss.com/mens-su...D021_Dark-Grey

http://store-us.hugoboss.com/Modern-...r%3D040_Silver

The first one says dark grey but it looks {censored}ing black enough to me. icon_lol.gif

That would bring me a little over what I wanted to spend...but {censored} it, I graduate soon, maybe I should have a "treat yo self" day. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers

View Post

Finally, express. Laugh all you want, but at $400 these are great suits that fit nicely and probably y draw the most compliments out of any of my suits stay away from the photographer line, as they are very very slim fit. They are currently doing 40% site wide with free shipping. I think we are close to the same size, and I do a 40 regular, 30 waist.

I'm not laughing. I have 2 express suits and I always get compliments on them. The producer pants fit me perfectly without alterations and the jackets just needed to be taken in in the middle. I love the slight sheen on their suits. Really good stuff as long as you don't mind having an express label inside your suit. This is my favorite one:

http://www.express.com/plaid-stretch...ow/3/index.pro

• Members

View Post

my trouble is finding a particular fit. I am trimmed for a 29'' waist, wear a 43/44 up top. all the pants I find within that 32-33 range (before tailoring) are slim in the legs, and my quads don't fit.

Yeah, that's a problem with Express' jeans too. I love them, but I moved up from their slim fit to the regular, and in 30" waist, my {censored}ing quads are exploding. And my legs aren't even all that big. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

I'm not laughing. I have 2 express suits and I always get compliments on them. The producer pants fit me perfectly without alterations and the jackets just needed to be taken in in the middle. I love the slight sheen on their suits. Really good stuff as long as you don't mind having an express label inside your suit.

Again, 90% of my clothes have an express label on them. icon_lol.gif

If I didn't get it from there, chances are I got it at Macy's. I don't leave my comfort zone very frequently. biggrin.gif

• Members

View Post

Again, 90% of my clothes have an express label on them. icon_lol.gif

If I didn't get it from there, chances are I got it at Macy's. I don't leave my comfort zone very frequently. biggrin.gif

I have a lot of express clothes too (dress clothes anyways). Their dress shirts are weird. The 1MX is usually good enough material (not great), but I've bought a few that wrinkled terribly if you even look at them wrong. It's usually been the white or extremely light colored ones. No idea why. I love their wool suit pants.

• Members

View Post

Only buy super 100s wool or better unless it's a one-time-wear (for a special event).

Nordstrom is my go-to place, and I have my own tailor do the fitting. Joe Abboud and Hugo Boss are good starter suits.

I love having Nordstrom Rack around. One near work and one near my moms house. When I stop be her place I usually go to it.

I almost always find great deals on shirts ($20-$40), watches, pants, suits, etc...

Currently I dont really need a suit...but I'd go there first if I did

• Members

View Post

I'm not laughing. I have 2 express suits and I always get compliments on them. The producer pants fit me perfectly without alterations and the jackets just needed to be taken in in the middle. I love the slight sheen on their suits. Really good stuff as long as you don't mind having an express label inside your suit. This is my favorite one:

http://www.express.com/plaid-stretch...ow/3/index.pro

For regular work pants I wear the producer pants all the time, however their shirts are {censored}. Color fades and they don't stay pressed at all. After wearing them twice the dye has faded to the point they look awful and multiple times I've worn through the sleeves. confused.gif

Buttons coming off:

07C08754-3DFC-4098-A9AB-9437D7078465-141

Dye fading:

CD51F60D-1F67-4BF3-93A5-F2FF6324EBB2-141

763CFED5-AA89-49A7-9FD7-DF4377FE8F9E-141

• Members

I started getting shirts at jos a or stafford super shirts and getting them tailored. For business I want stark white or ligjt blue without a wrinkle in site. A professional presented and properly tailored suit with a great pair of shoes and an appropriate watch go a long way in how people perceive you. However proper posture and confidence are just as important. A $2k suit, a huge fancy dial watch and a pair of New and Lingwood look out of place on a $40k a year noob trying to dress above his pay grade at a normal office. Especially if the offending party slouched and sat in a cube with no FaceTime with people that matter. Who is he trying to impress? His coworkers? His boss that also isn't high enough to matter?

Dress appropriately for the occasion.

• Members

i was in teh same situation a couple months ago and i was ready to go up to $500 but ended up getting a grey one from h&m for like $170. got lots of compliments on it at the wedding i was at. however it fit really well and wasn't typical fat american cut so i think i'm going to echo everyone else and say cut is the most important.

• Members

The last suit I bought was a nice black one from a sort of high volume designer. I don't remember the name. It was sort of a Euro styled one and it looked nice. I was a bit heavier then so I'd need to get it altered to wear now. I got it at Nordstroms IIRC. It was on sale half off of like $700 or something.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

For regular work pants I wear the producer pants all the time, however their shirts are {censored}. Color fades and they don't stay pressed at all. After wearing them twice the dye has faded to the point they look awful and multiple times I've worn through the sleeves. confused.gif

Are those the 1MX or a different type? I had that problem with mine at first, but I figured out how to prevent it. Wash them on a cold gentle cycle and hang them to dry. I was washing on warm regular cycle and after some time had the same problem you did (though it took several months). That pulling you have on all the seams was what happened to mine when I was throwing them in the dryer (even though I was only using low heat). The cotton used in the stitching shrinks and pulls the fabric. So cold gentle wash, hang dry and you shouldn't have any problems.

• Members

View Post

Are those the 1MX or a different type? I had that problem with mine at first, but I figured out how to prevent it. Wash them on a cold gentle cycle and hang them to dry. I was washing on warm regular cycle and after some time had the same problem you did (though it took several months). That pulling you have on all the seams was what happened to mine when I was throwing them in the dryer (even though I was only using low heat). So cold gentle wash, hang dry and you shouldn't have any problems.

DING DING.

NEVER wash them on anything other than a cold gentle cycle (small load, don't overload it) and hang to dry. Cold/warm iron, and they're good to go. I have had some of mine for years and they're fine.

• Members

View Post

Nice.

I have a black pinstrip

Grey pinstrip

Olive w/ subtle design

Good suits. The grey pinstripe is double breasted, Ralph Lauren Black Label love.gif

Those are nice suits. I thought about getting an olive one, but feel like it would clash with my skin color.

If I felt like being irresponsible, I'd buy this in 5 seconds:

http://www.barneys.com/Armani-Collez...suits&index=13

• Members

View Post

Are those the 1MX or a different type? I had that problem with mine at first, but I figured out how to prevent it. Wash them on a cold gentle cycle and hang them to dry. I was washing on warm regular cycle and after some time had the same problem you did (though it took several months). That pulling you have on all the seams was what happened to mine when I was throwing them in the dryer (even though I was only using low heat). So cold gentle wash, hang dry and you shouldn't have any problems.

That was on cold water but I did throw them in the dryer. Dang, that could have been avoided icon_lol.gif

Not sure if I got a bad run of those 1MX's but 3 different ones faded horrible after 2-3 washes. I had never experienced that before or after so I wrote off express for tailored fit shirts. That was about the time I started buying Super Shirts or jos a an getting them tailored. idn_smilie.gif

Did hanging the 1mx to dry help with the wrinkle issue? Of course as you said the dryer shrinks them so maybe I ruined their press ability from the first wash...

• Members

View Post

DING DING.

NEVER wash them on anything other than a cold gentle cycle (small load, don't overload it) and hang to dry. Cold/warm iron, and they're good to go. I have had some of mine for years and they're fine.

Fwiw, most of the 1mx shirts look great (well before I screwed them up) for going out. Girls LOVE them. However not always the most professional in meetings. Time and place but to be fair I was meeting with supplier execs in a dry (non flashy) industry where professionalism took precedent over looking dead sexy.

And dammit I have a $3k washer and dryer set. I know how to wash clothes tongue.gifcop.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

That was on cold water but I did throw them in the dryer. Dang, that could have been avoided icon_lol.gif

Not sure if I got a bad run of those 1MX's but 3 different ones faded horrible after 2-3 washes. I had never experienced that before or after so I wrote off express for tailored fit shirts. That was about the time I started buying Super Shirts or jos a an getting them tailored. idn_smilie.gif

Did hanging the 1mx to dry help with the wrinkle issue? Of course as you said the dryer shrinks them so maybe I ruined their press ability from the first wash...

Express has changed manufacturers of their shirts several times over the years. If you look at them over the years, you will see three or four different "made in" tags. Some are Malaysia, some China, and I don't remember the others. Some of these were particularly bad when it came to wrinkling and fading. I have two that are literally unwearable because they look like {censored} after you wear them for 30 minutes (all wrinkled). I think those were made in China IIRC. When I'm shopping at express, I take the fabric and ball it up in my hand and then release it. You can tell the bad ones - they will instantly be full of sharp creases where you wrinkled it that will not come out. The good ones will just go back to normal, or nearly normal. It seems that things are much better in the last year or so.

The thing about Express shirts though - they are now around $60. There are a lot of better options at that price.

• Members

I agree, Joe and that confirms my theory it was a bad run. I had worn express shirts for years then spent several hundred on one trip. All the shirts from that trip basically fell apart and were unusable for anything worth a $60 shirt. For $60 there are some great shirts. I'll check them out again the next time they have a buy one get one sale, because the downside to the stafford and jos a stuff is it looks lame as {censored} to hit the town in. Even for a married dork like me.

Though like you said, their producer wool pants have consistently been great over the years. I have several pairs of pin stripes, couple heather gray, black, and a really nice herringbone pair that look and fit great. They seem much higher quality.

Archived