5150III 50watt boost?

Nathanisking

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to have a Boss SD1 ages ago and didn't like the way it cut the bass. I'm hoping the Maxon 808 isn't that bad for that. What are some other highly regarded boost pedals? Also boost pedals go in front of the amp right like after the wah but before say a phaser or flanger?

• Members

I used to have a Boss SD1 ages ago and didn't like the way it cut the bass. I'm hoping the Maxon 808 isn't that bad for that. What are some other highly regarded boost pedals? Also boost pedals go in front of the amp right like after the wah but before say a phaser or flanger?

• Members

Most OverDrives cut some bass. The higher-end pedals and modded pedals usually cut less. The bass cut off is why a lot of people use them to "tighten" the bass.

Yes the boost goes in front. The idea is to drive the tubes harder for more gain.

If you can borrow or try with the option to return (guitar center gives you 30 days I think) I would try a couple to see what the different flavors are like.

Green Rhino is very well regarded and gives more control over the tone than most 3 knob Overdrives.

• Members

Most OverDrives cut some bass. The higher-end pedals and modded pedals usually cut less. The bass cut off is why a lot of people use them to "tighten" the bass.

Yes the boost goes in front. The idea is to drive the tubes harder for more gain.

If you can borrow or try with the option to return (guitar center gives you 30 days I think) I would try a couple to see what the different flavors are like.

Green Rhino is very well regarded and gives more control over the tone than most 3 knob Overdrives.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanisking

View Post

I guess this is how I was imagining I could use it:

Blue Channel: 80s metal tones/hard rock tones rhythms and leads

Red Channel: Modern rock/modern metal rhythms and leads

Unless that is not possible?

That is exactly how I would use that amp. And both channels can do both rythm and lead. But I just can't imagine how the blue channel isn't doing 80s metal and hard rock for you because I think it does that awesomely.

I think a boost pedal will do the trick for you though. Have you used one for clean boost before? Just turn the gain down on the pedal and the volume up, it's basically like turning the volume on your guitar knob past it's maximum . You'll probably be using less gain on the amp too, with the boost engaged.

But what exactly is the blue channel lacking for you?

• Members

View Post

I guess this is how I was imagining I could use it:

Blue Channel: 80s metal tones/hard rock tones rhythms and leads

Red Channel: Modern rock/modern metal rhythms and leads

Unless that is not possible?

That is exactly how I would use that amp. And both channels can do both rythm and lead. But I just can't imagine how the blue channel isn't doing 80s metal and hard rock for you because I think it does that awesomely.

I think a boost pedal will do the trick for you though. Have you used one for clean boost before? Just turn the gain down on the pedal and the volume up, it's basically like turning the volume on your guitar knob past it's maximum . You'll probably be using less gain on the amp too, with the boost engaged.

But what exactly is the blue channel lacking for you?

• Members

View Post

I just find it doesn't sustain or squeal enough for my liking. I want to be able to use both gain channels for both purposes and I find the blue channel kind of lacking in both so a simple boost like an 808 or green rhino or whatever may help?

Oh I see what you're saying. Yeah, it's not as saturated as the red channel.

A boost should do exactly what you want, that's pretty much what it's for. You could see if you can borrow a friend's OD pedal and set it for a clean volume boost in front of the amp and see if that works out.

• Members

View Post

I just find it doesn't sustain or squeal enough for my liking. I want to be able to use both gain channels for both purposes and I find the blue channel kind of lacking in both so a simple boost like an 808 or green rhino or whatever may help?

Oh I see what you're saying. Yeah, it's not as saturated as the red channel.

A boost should do exactly what you want, that's pretty much what it's for. You could see if you can borrow a friend's OD pedal and set it for a clean volume boost in front of the amp and see if that works out.

• Members

Hey guys a huge issue has arisen; channel popping with all my pedals connected and no popping with just straight amp and guitar.

I tested all my pedals individually up front with no channel popping, but if I put a pedal in the FX loop and stomp on the effect button the footswitch, massive hum but no channel popping

I really don't know why this is happening the amp is brand new and my pedal board hasn't given me issues since it was built last year

• Members

Hey guys a huge issue has arisen; channel popping with all my pedals connected and no popping with just straight amp and guitar.

I tested all my pedals individually up front with no channel popping, but if I put a pedal in the FX loop and stomp on the effect button the footswitch, massive hum but no channel popping

I really don't know why this is happening the amp is brand new and my pedal board hasn't given me issues since it was built last year

• Members

Well the humming was from my basement lights so the humming is out of the question

Things I've determined:

-Plug all the pedals in the DC Brick and run them in front of the amp, no channel popping but the pedals do pop when engaged

-Plug all the pedals in the DC Brick and run them in the loop, no channel popping but the pedals do pop when engaged

-If I have my Wah, Phaser and Flanger plugged into the DC brick and the Carbon Copy into the loop with a battery, no channel popping but the pedals in connected to the DC brick to pop, not loudly but it is noticeable

Would switching to a Voodoo Lab power supply help maybe plugging all the pedals into the DC brick since it doesn't have isolated ports?

• Members

Well the humming was from my basement lights so the humming is out of the question

Things I've determined:

-Plug all the pedals in the DC Brick and run them in front of the amp, no channel popping but the pedals do pop when engaged

-Plug all the pedals in the DC Brick and run them in the loop, no channel popping but the pedals do pop when engaged

-If I have my Wah, Phaser and Flanger plugged into the DC brick and the Carbon Copy into the loop with a battery, no channel popping but the pedals in connected to the DC brick to pop, not loudly but it is noticeable

Would switching to a Voodoo Lab power supply help maybe plugging all the pedals into the DC brick since it doesn't have isolated ports?

Archived