Help me pick my first real amp

i3oosted

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

There is a Marshall 2554 Jubilee combo on thegearpage right now for $900. It's a 50 watt el34 Jubilee. Clean channel, awesome dirt channel, fx loop, can run an ext cabinet no problem and has a vintage 30 when you just want low volume home playing. The jubilee has one of the best master volumes that Marshall has ever offered.

I'll have to check this one out, the videos sound good.

• Members

View Post

There is a Marshall 2554 Jubilee combo on thegearpage right now for $900. It's a 50 watt el34 Jubilee. Clean channel, awesome dirt channel, fx loop, can run an ext cabinet no problem and has a vintage 30 when you just want low volume home playing. The jubilee has one of the best master volumes that Marshall has ever offered.

I'll have to check this one out, the videos sound good.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by i3oosted

View Post

Do you get all the sounds you want out of the JVM? You think you need the extra gain stages the 410 has? How does it sound when the volume is lower?

the 410 doesnt necessarily have extra gain stages. The 2 channel versions can get just as dirty , they just stripped down the amount of modes on the 2 channel amps. The JVMs sound great at low volumes. If you want an inexpensive "swiss army knife " amp , the JVM is awfully hard to beat. Also the Peavey Classic 50 would be a good option as well as something like a Fender Hot Rod.

• Members

View Post

Do you get all the sounds you want out of the JVM? You think you need the extra gain stages the 410 has? How does it sound when the volume is lower?

the 410 doesnt necessarily have extra gain stages. The 2 channel versions can get just as dirty , they just stripped down the amount of modes on the 2 channel amps. The JVMs sound great at low volumes. If you want an inexpensive "swiss army knife " amp , the JVM is awfully hard to beat. Also the Peavey Classic 50 would be a good option as well as something like a Fender Hot Rod.

• Members

Out of the big-name, conventional brands, I really like Mesa Boogie stuff. They're reliable, They sound good, and the resale is good. They seem to be relatively underpriced ATM, too. The parallel fx loop on lots of them could be a deal breaker though.

My big question though; do you use a lot of pedals? Do you use fuzz pedals?

Amps can be picky about how they take Fuzz Faces and Big Muffs.

Also, check out:

Fender Super Sonic

Rivera stuff

One more thing. Have you considered the rack route?

• Members

Out of the big-name, conventional brands, I really like Mesa Boogie stuff. They're reliable, They sound good, and the resale is good. They seem to be relatively underpriced ATM, too. The parallel fx loop on lots of them could be a deal breaker though.

My big question though; do you use a lot of pedals? Do you use fuzz pedals?

Amps can be picky about how they take Fuzz Faces and Big Muffs.

Also, check out:

Fender Super Sonic

Rivera stuff

One more thing. Have you considered the rack route?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Norton666

View Post

the 410 doesnt necessarily have extra gain stages. The 2 channel versions can get just as dirty , they just stripped down the amount of modes on the 2 channel amps. The JVMs sound great at low volumes. If you want an inexpensive "swiss army knife " amp , the JVM is awfully hard to beat.

Yup. The JVM has all the gain you will ever need, but isn't necessarily strictly metal-voiced.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Norton666

View Post

the 410 doesnt necessarily have extra gain stages. The 2 channel versions can get just as dirty , they just stripped down the amount of modes on the 2 channel amps. The JVMs sound great at low volumes. If you want an inexpensive "swiss army knife " amp , the JVM is awfully hard to beat.

Yup. The JVM has all the gain you will ever need, but isn't necessarily strictly metal-voiced.

• Members

View Post

It pretty much handles everything. OD channel is OD2 on the 410. Plenty of gain, slightly more modern voicing. Crunch red is jcm800 niceness. Its really cool overall.

• Members

View Post

It pretty much handles everything. OD channel is OD2 on the 410. Plenty of gain, slightly more modern voicing. Crunch red is jcm800 niceness. Its really cool overall.

• Members

View Post

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...hlight=Jubilee

Also has a 25 / 50 watt switch on front to cut the wattage down.

These went for $1500 before the market crashed and being a jubilee they will have excellent collectibility. Granted its not the silver tolex model but the circuit is identical.

holy {censored} 900 for a jube these are insanely expensive in australia

• Members

View Post

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...hlight=Jubilee

Also has a 25 / 50 watt switch on front to cut the wattage down.

These went for $1500 before the market crashed and being a jubilee they will have excellent collectibility. Granted its not the silver tolex model but the circuit is identical.

holy {censored} 900 for a jube these are insanely expensive in australia

• Members

Used prices for quality amps are ridiculously low right now.

I second keeping an eye out for used Peavey's, they can be had ridiculously cheap for the amp you get.

Good luck in your search!

What sort of laney do you currently have? (Saw you had one in another thread.)

• Members

Used prices for quality amps are ridiculously low right now.

I second keeping an eye out for used Peavey's, they can be had ridiculously cheap for the amp you get.

Good luck in your search!

What sort of laney do you currently have? (Saw you had one in another thread.)

Archived