Micro Terror thoughts and a problem.

theAntihero

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Elessar [sly] View Post
That's what I was getting at though... doesn't really do the sabbathy/80's metal stuff. I don't mean to contradict what you are saying, but I couldn't get this sound at all out of this amplifier at any setting, which is a shame because I probably would have sold something else and kept the micro terror if it did. It does do a really cool low gain overdrive sound though!
Hmm, i pick pretty hard and have been using sorta hot pickups(GFS VEH) and its not a low gain overdrive by any means, it even chugs pretty decently. I wonder if yours had a less gainy preamp tube?

Orange got back to me and said that the 4ohm issue is known and recommends just running it at 8ohm. Sorta sucky but i can live with it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Elessar [sly] View Post
That's what I was getting at though... doesn't really do the sabbathy/80's metal stuff. I don't mean to contradict what you are saying, but I couldn't get this sound at all out of this amplifier at any setting, which is a shame because I probably would have sold something else and kept the micro terror if it did. It does do a really cool low gain overdrive sound though!
Hmm, i pick pretty hard and have been using sorta hot pickups(GFS VEH) and its not a low gain overdrive by any means, it even chugs pretty decently. I wonder if yours had a less gainy preamp tube?

Orange got back to me and said that the 4ohm issue is known and recommends just running it at 8ohm. Sorta sucky but i can live with it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Andersonology View Post
So I bought one on Monday, a couple of thoughts about it. I have a modded Epi Valve Jr. that's pretty decent, although one issue I have is that after playing it about 30 minutes, the sound drops out (I know, not good). I have some new tubes I am going to try. Not sure how I will be able to fix without "re-modding" it, but I digress. Anyway, since I am having issues with the Epi, I wanted something a little more reliable until I get that resolved.

Once I was able to test drive the Orange and AB with the Epi (while it was still working) I'd say that really the Epi pretty much sounds better (louder with more tube goodness), but that said the Orange is fairly close. I did notice that once you turn the the treble all the way up that the amp doesn't sound near as loud. What I really do like is the aux in for the MP3iPhone etc..which is great for practicing. I just put it on random playlist and jam out. It's nice not to have to setup an additional sound source for that.

I considered taking it back, but due the current Epi issue and the aux in feature, I will go ahead and keep it. Overall I am pleased with the amp.
Are you running it at 4 ohm?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Andersonology View Post
So I bought one on Monday, a couple of thoughts about it. I have a modded Epi Valve Jr. that's pretty decent, although one issue I have is that after playing it about 30 minutes, the sound drops out (I know, not good). I have some new tubes I am going to try. Not sure how I will be able to fix without "re-modding" it, but I digress. Anyway, since I am having issues with the Epi, I wanted something a little more reliable until I get that resolved.

Once I was able to test drive the Orange and AB with the Epi (while it was still working) I'd say that really the Epi pretty much sounds better (louder with more tube goodness), but that said the Orange is fairly close. I did notice that once you turn the the treble all the way up that the amp doesn't sound near as loud. What I really do like is the aux in for the MP3iPhone etc..which is great for practicing. I just put it on random playlist and jam out. It's nice not to have to setup an additional sound source for that.

I considered taking it back, but due the current Epi issue and the aux in feature, I will go ahead and keep it. Overall I am pleased with the amp.
Are you running it at 4 ohm?

• Members

I really want one of these. So cheap and every clip I've heard of it sounds amazing.

Yet I keep putting off ordering one. I'll wait until they're sold out everywhere and then hunt for one going for twice the current going rate. That's the way I prefer to do things. facepalm.gif

No, seriously, I need to get one of these. I have a weird small amp fetish anyway. It'd be stupid to not get one.

• Members

I really want one of these. So cheap and every clip I've heard of it sounds amazing.

Yet I keep putting off ordering one. I'll wait until they're sold out everywhere and then hunt for one going for twice the current going rate. That's the way I prefer to do things. facepalm.gif

No, seriously, I need to get one of these. I have a weird small amp fetish anyway. It'd be stupid to not get one.

• Members

Got mine today and only got to play with it for about 2 minutes since I'm coming down with something.

Overall impression, VERY impressed. I can't wait to try it out with my other guitars, because my Universe with old ass strings sounds like it needs a bit of EQ.

btw, it's such a cute little amp.

• Members

Got mine today and only got to play with it for about 2 minutes since I'm coming down with something.

Overall impression, VERY impressed. I can't wait to try it out with my other guitars, because my Universe with old ass strings sounds like it needs a bit of EQ.

btw, it's such a cute little amp.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by theAntihero View Post

Hmm I think it is unlikely, but possible. I have been using an Ibanez S series with Bare knuckle Nailbomb and Cold Sweat pups in it. And a Gibson 2010 SG standard with SH5/'59 combo. So I was using high output humbuckers in those, as well as the vintage hot pups in my other guitars.

I just don't think personally it was capable of that sound, and you may be right about the pre-amp tube. But the fact it doesn't take dirt pedals well is a big no-no for me. I did like the little amp though!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by theAntihero View Post

Hmm I think it is unlikely, but possible. I have been using an Ibanez S series with Bare knuckle Nailbomb and Cold Sweat pups in it. And a Gibson 2010 SG standard with SH5/'59 combo. So I was using high output humbuckers in those, as well as the vintage hot pups in my other guitars.

I just don't think personally it was capable of that sound, and you may be right about the pre-amp tube. But the fact it doesn't take dirt pedals well is a big no-no for me. I did like the little amp though!

Archived