BEST GRAPHICS CARD TODAY?

gt_jumper

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by marshallnoise

View Post

I got the PNY 660ti Xlr8 model and am happy as a pig in {censored}. Paired with the 3570K running 4.5 ghz and 8 gb of ram, I am set for a while. Just looking for SSDs now to complete the system.

I have an Adata 256gb SSD in mine and a 1TB HDD for storage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211597

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

I got the PNY 660ti Xlr8 model and am happy as a pig in {censored}. Paired with the 3570K running 4.5 ghz and 8 gb of ram, I am set for a while. Just looking for SSDs now to complete the system.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

That's the thing for me. I don't have a ton of storage needs. I currently have a 500gb Seagate disk for my Mountain Lion setup and a 250gb for my W7 setup. I don't think I will need to do an SSD for my Hackintosh, but I would like to have an SSD for W7 and a couple of games. I am pretty good about uninstalling stuff I don't use regularly anyway so much more than 64 gb is a waste right now.

That Adata you linked looks great for the money for sure. Thanks for the suggestion. I just can't justify the expense at the moment. Been looking at 32gb to 128gb drives and the prices really aren't all that much different ($55 to $110). All the articles I have read show that 128gb is the sweet spot for speed right now, but coming from any HDD I am going to be utterly stoked no matter what SSD I get.

The other thing is that I have a Gateway FX laptop that has two 2.5" bays and would love to get an SSD drive in there. It would extend the life of the computer several years.

So I am looking at two drives right now as opposed to one kickass one. :/

One thing I have noticed is that newer tech is cheaper than old tech, just like the standard computer RAM market. Love the pure market driven prices. Even though SATA II SSDs are inferior, they are as expensive as the newer SATA III SSDs! My head is spinning!

• Members

View Post

That's the thing for me. I don't have a ton of storage needs. I currently have a 500gb Seagate disk for my Mountain Lion setup and a 250gb for my W7 setup. I don't think I will need to do an SSD for my Hackintosh, but I would like to have an SSD for W7 and a couple of games. I am pretty good about uninstalling stuff I don't use regularly anyway so much more than 64 gb is a waste right now.

That Adata you linked looks great for the money for sure. Thanks for the suggestion. I just can't justify the expense at the moment. Been looking at 32gb to 128gb drives and the prices really aren't all that much different ($55 to $110). All the articles I have read show that 128gb is the sweet spot for speed right now, but coming from any HDD I am going to be utterly stoked no matter what SSD I get.

The other thing is that I have a Gateway FX laptop that has two 2.5" bays and would love to get an SSD drive in there. It would extend the life of the computer several years.

One thing I have noticed is that newer tech is cheaper than old tech, just like the standard computer RAM market. Love the pure market driven prices. Even though SATA II SSDs are inferior, they are as expensive as the newer SATA III SSDs! My head is spinning!

• Members

View Post

64 is too small. You need to consider swap space on the disk. I wouldn't go under 128.

• Members

View Post

64 is too small. You need to consider swap space on the disk. I wouldn't go under 128.

• Members

View Post

I wound up going for the two drives.

A Kingston SSDNow V+Series 64 GB drive for my Gateway FX P7915u because it was a good price at $55 and the board only supports SATA II and I can slim down W7 to my liking via this guide.

Then I ordered up a SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA III drive for the Ivy Bridge build.

So I kinda took your advice! Haha!

• Members

View Post

I wound up going for the two drives.

A Kingston SSDNow V+Series 64 GB drive for my Gateway FX P7915u because it was a good price at $55 and the board only supports SATA II and I can slim down W7 to my liking via this guide.

Then I ordered up a SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA III drive for the Ivy Bridge build.

So I kinda took your advice! Haha!

• Members

GTX660 is what I recommend. I have the GTX680, and it is fantastic. The 660 isn't that far behind, its fantastic bang/buck and beats the AMD equivalent in efficiency, cooling and performance. nVidia simply makes a more stable card that runs smoother.

• Members

GTX660 is what I recommend. I have the GTX680, and it is fantastic. The 660 isn't that far behind, its fantastic bang/buck and beats the AMD equivalent in efficiency, cooling and performance. nVidia simply makes a more stable card that runs smoother.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress

View Post

My 7970 is coming today love.gif

I can't wait to start using it, but I'm not bothering with it until I get windows reinstalled on my new SSD, then there's installing my games and stuff...between working and all the stuff going on this weekend, it'll be next week at best cry.gif

Great card man, OC's like a boss.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Slaymoar

View Post

I think you mean the 660ti, right?

• Members

View Post

Installed the 660TI today. Had a problem with the mobo not recognizing it. Just had to update the motherboard bios and everything worked great. The card is a beast. Playing Planetside 2 with all settings on high and it was smooth as silk.

Which brand did you go with? I have the PNY Xlr8 reference design.

• Members

View Post

Which brand did you go with? I have the PNY Xlr8 reference design.

MSI. All Mil-spec components. I've had too many video cards go POOF over the years (particularly EVGA garbage), so I looked for a brand with good components and high reliability rating.

• Members

View Post

MSI. All Mil-spec components. I've had too many video cards go POOF over the years (particularly EVGA garbage), so I looked for a brand with good components and high reliability rating.

Yeah, capacitors seem to be the ones to go the most. I have had GPUs unsolder themselves, that's always fun. Those were on Radeon cards only though.

Archived