Computer recording guys, help, please?

Gary666

• Members

I like Cubase... Just started working with 7 and I really like it so far. It pairs well with my Yamaha N8 interface/mixer. The pres on the N8 are surprisingly very good. However, you will probably want some type of control surface as well. I use the Behringer Bcf 2000 with good results.

On the drum front, I don't think you can beat Superior Drummer but the learning curve is steep if you are not used to mixing drums. Tons of options but the Music City expansion is the best I've found for straight ahead, rock drum sounds.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like Cubase... Just started working with 7 and I really like it so far. It pairs well with my Yamaha N8 interface/mixer. The pres on the N8 are surprisingly very good. However, you will probably want some type of control surface as well. I use the Behringer Bcf 2000 with good results.

On the drum front, I don't think you can beat Superior Drummer but the learning curve is steep if you are not used to mixing drums. Tons of options but the Music City expansion is the best I've found for straight ahead, rock drum sounds.

• Members

The drum software issue is a long discussion. I think the BFD progs are the best to begin. Never really managed to use anything else that efficiently (I had the Drumcore too and tried lot of other stuff).

For the interface I suggest Mackie, M-Audio/Avid (I use the NRV10 for recording, concerts and DJ-ing), Edirol/Roland products. They are reliable and have support/forums.

I use Tracktion (which is similar to Reaper) and besides those I suggest the Ableton Live. Used to use the other big DAWs, mainly Pro Tools, even translated the manual for Nuendo, but for my applications I prefer the single screen apps. Less headache biggrin.gif

• Members

The drum software issue is a long discussion. I think the BFD progs are the best to begin. Never really managed to use anything else that efficiently (I had the Drumcore too and tried lot of other stuff).

For the interface I suggest Mackie, M-Audio/Avid (I use the NRV10 for recording, concerts and DJ-ing), Edirol/Roland products. They are reliable and have support/forums.

I use Tracktion (which is similar to Reaper) and besides those I suggest the Ableton Live. Used to use the other big DAWs, mainly Pro Tools, even translated the manual for Nuendo, but for my applications I prefer the single screen apps. Less headache biggrin.gif

• Members

thanks for the help dudes. thinking ima gonna go with Reaper for software and Focusrite for interface. gonna do some more digging around first. still not sure about drums, gotta look into that more to, any more suggestions?

• Members

thanks for the help dudes. thinking ima gonna go with Reaper for software and Focusrite for interface. gonna do some more digging around first. still not sure about drums, gotta look into that more to, any more suggestions?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gary666

View Post

That is a good choice.

• Members

View Post

That is a good choice.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thefyn

View Post

Get this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FQq0nQod_DgAww

From loop to get money off.

It's not just the interface, it also comes with QUALITY instruments, synths etc and a stripped down version of cubase. All you need is this and an SM57 and a nady SCM1000 and you will be golden.

AVOID Sonar like the plague. It is a buggy POS.

that looks like a great deal. how do i get ahold of loop? no email addy in his sig and it's useless to PM him.

• Members

View Post

that looks like a great deal. how do i get ahold of loop? no email addy in his sig and it's useless to PM him.

Il pm you his email when I am back in the office.

The reason I recommend them is because mix and match for me has been a huge pain when it comes to compatibility quirks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thefyn

View Post

Il pm you his email when I am back in the office.

The reason I recommend them is because mix and match for me has been a huge pain when it comes to compatibility quirks.

so the recording software that comes with it is good? also looking at this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTMboxMini/

i guess it makes sense to get the interface and DAW from the same place for compatibility reasons. im such a noob at this, lol

• Members

View Post

so the recording software that comes with it is good? also looking at this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTMboxMini/

i guess it makes sense to get the interface and DAW from the same place for compatibility reasons. im such a noob at this, lol

I tried pro tools demo with an mbox and it was buggy as crap on my win 7 64 bit system. But I did have an older Mbox than that one.

• Members

you'll want to be careful about how much software you run at one time as the processor (i5 mobile) and hard drive (5400 rpm) aren't the fastest. you'll track one or two at a time mostly, but all the tracks you've accumulated (unless deactivated) will take their bite of resource. now add plugins to process tracks, busses, masters, etc. you may hit a wall depending on how many tracks you plan on working with. my bud's latest effort had a hundred or so "tracks", should say pieces really, as that's how he works, keeping them all separate, but lined up on beat, etc. for playback.

record dry (if you can) and add plugins later during mixdown. you'll learn all about buffers (less for recording, more for playback) and all the other wonders of the daw as you go along.

good trackin' to ya!

• Members

I use Cubase as my DAW, just upgraded to Cubase 7, and it's great.

For drum software I highly recommend Addictive Drums, it's the drum software I use most.

I also have Superior Drummer 2 and EZ Drummer, but while EZD sounds good, it has less flexibility (pre-processed sounds) then SD2 or AD, and SD2 while it has awesome sounds, is too complicated for me personally with all the different options it offers.

• Members

i just got a scarlett 2i2 & i'm a little annoyed with how easy it is to clip the instrument input with humbuckers when doing silent direct-in recording. it is unusable without an external pad which i will have to buy or build now. i assume it is tweaked for passive piezos or other low instrument inputs. the 2i4 is more $$s but it has a pad switch & some extra outputs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by extollo

View Post

i just got a scarlett 2i2 & i'm a little annoyed with how easy it is to clip the instrument input with humbuckers when doing silent direct-in recording. it is unusable without an external pad which i will have to buy or build now. i assume it is tweaked for passive piezos or other low instrument inputs. the 2i4 is more $$s but it has a pad switch & some extra outputs.

I dont have any problems with that...are you running your input gain really high? Is your switch set to instrument level?

• Members

yea. i have it on instrument level with gain at the lowest setting. i'm able to overload the input using single coils with gain on 1/4. line level works ok, but it reduces input impedance to 10k. honestly that doesnt really matter for what i'm doing, but it's the principle of the thing, damn it.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbi...-problems.html

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by extollo

View Post

yea. i have it on instrument level with gain at the lowest setting. i'm able to overload the input using single coils with gain on 1/4. line level works ok, but it reduces input impedance to 10k. honestly that doesnt really matter for what i'm doing, but it's the principle of the thing, damn it.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbi...-problems.html

Thats whacky. Id be irritated, too. I havent had any issues, though. Ive recorded plugging my guitar straight in, micing, and direct with my peavey vypyr, and everything has been flawless with it.

• Members

I have a focusrite interface and have found that with my active instruments you sometimes have to switch to line level rather than instrument level to get the gain right. Especially my bass with 18v actives. That sucker will clip to {censored} and back at instrument level, ends up about right with line level and gain set just below 7. Doesn't make sense because my passives get noisy and {censored}ty sounding at line level, but it's worth trying anyway.

Archived