Look at this backplate picture and help me make sense of the ohms...

Chrisjd

• Members

Ok, i have it switched to mono. can i plug the speaker cable into the left jack labeled 8 ohms? It's hard to see because of the glare, but it says "8 ohm" under the left jack.

I am pretty sure what i want to do is plug the cable into the right jack, but i just want to make sure, as i am hesitating.

IMAG0876.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reauchambeau

View Post

when the cab is switched to "stereo", both jacks are 8 Ohms, when the switch is set to "Mono", the left jack is 4 Ohms, the right jack is 16 Ohms.

what does your head run at?

Head is set at 8 ohms. Is it safe to run it into the 4 ohm jack? Cuz I did for a bit.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reauchambeau

View Post

when the cab is switched to "stereo", both jacks are 8 Ohms, when the switch is set to "Mono", the left jack is 4 Ohms, the right jack is 16 Ohms.

what does your head run at?

Head is set at 8 ohms. Is it safe to run it into the 4 ohm jack? Cuz I did for a bit.

• Members

uh no I dont think so. You dont run 8 ohms into 4.

If your head is Solid State you will be safe in the 16 ohm jack switched mono.

If your head is tube does it have a 4 or 16 ohm switch? If so use that and set the switch to mono and plug into the jack labeled accordingly.

If not, then I wouldnt use that cab unless my amp had stereo outs 8 ohms per side.

Then as the plate says you must plug into both 8 ohm jacks and set the switch to stereo.

• Members

uh no I dont think so. You dont run 8 ohms into 4.

If your head is Solid State you will be safe in the 16 ohm jack switched mono.

If your head is tube does it have a 4 or 16 ohm switch? If so use that and set the switch to mono and plug into the jack labeled accordingly.

If not, then I wouldnt use that cab unless my amp had stereo outs 8 ohms per side.

Then as the plate says you must plug into both 8 ohm jacks and set the switch to stereo.

• Members

you can go from 8 ohms out of your amp into the 16 ohm jack in mono, without much risk of destroying anything, but it's better to just not have any mismatch.

There will be a slight drop in volume and perceivable power if you plug into the 16 ohm jack, but it's negligible.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd

View Post

ok, but what i am trying to confirm, is that this is a 16 ohm mono cab. in general, it would be referred to as a 16 ohm cab, correct?

Not really. It can do 16 or 4 ohms. You could call it a 16 ohm cab, I suppose because it can do 16 ohms.

It would greatly help of you tell us what head you are using with it. Is your head strictly 8 ohms? If so, it is really not compatibly with this cabinet.

Archived