mesa cabs

mystixboi1

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Mesa Paulcaster

Which cab where you playing through? If it was a Roadking or Recto, those are oversized and tend to accentuate the low mids and bass. As I said before, they make smaller cabs that give a more traditional, high-mids sound which some people might prefer. This might not even matter so much in a 2x12 configuration, which is smaller to begin with.

Also, how loud were you playing and where were you standing with respect to the speakers? The oversized cabs tighten up a lot as you get louder, and the only time I've noticed any muddiness was when I was off to the side of the speakers.

The Mesa Boogie 2x12 with closed back (both the veritcal and horizontal) is listed as "over-sized." Wouldn't it still sound pretty boomy like the 4x12?

• Members
Originally posted by PRMike

not really...home theaters reproduce sound they don't look for tone..wood adds a tone. Companies also don't use it cause it costs them more...if there isn't a big deifference than why does everybody always search for the old cabs.. it's not cause they want 30 year old speakers.

just to prove it that way though.. i'm 90% sure Bose uses solid wood and not particle board and they have the best home theater sound period..

Fortunately,you are well known enough now that nobody gives any credence to your posts.

• Members

I gotta say I was wrong about what I posted early on in this thread. My Oversized Cab sounded loose because of the Head that sat on top of it. With my Framus Cobra it is a very tight sounding cab. I assume with some EV's it would be a monster. It does have more bass than a traditional cab though, hands down. I've found that I really do love Mesa cabs after my comparison testing. I haven't found a better cab really.

• Members

I like my Mesa oversized 2x12. i bought it off a fellow forumite and it's leaps and bounds over my Peavey 4x12. I think it's a great sounding cab, and very Loud! It's probably louder than my old Peavey 4x12. Great cabs. Great resale value, so you can't really go wrong. Try one out, and if it's not your cup of tea, then sell it...Heres a pic...
newcab.JPG

• Members

FWIW, I have an 80's-style vertical 2x12 and I think it rocks. Maybe not the best for metal, though. EV in the closed-back bottom and the black shadow on the open back top. I really like the open back top and closed bottom--it spreads really nicely, stays chunky and for what I do--I don't need super tight--BUT by no means is it a "loose" cab, either.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman967

I gotta say I was wrong about what I posted early on in this thread. My Oversized Cab sounded loose because of the Head that sat on top of it. With my Framus Cobra it is a very tight sounding cab. I assume with some EV's it would be a monster. It does have more bass than a traditional cab though, hands down. I've found that I really do love Mesa cabs after my comparison testing. I haven't found a better cab really.

Pardon me if I'm wrong. But did you used to own an ADA mp-1? I'm trying to decide upon a 2x12 to go along with it.

• Members

Originally posted by Hell Bites

Pardon me if I'm wrong. But did you used to own an ADA mp-1? I'm trying to decide upon a 2x12 to go along with it.

No sorry, I've never even Played an ADA MP-1. I'd love to pick one up in a used bin or at a pawn shop cheap if I could though:D

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Nutter, you aren't allow to mention El Diablos here as you're going to get flamed for liking that amp!  FWIW I love both my El D head and El D 60/30 combo1

As for Mesa cabs, they sound spectacular from all reports I've heard and heard payed through them.

Derek

Archived