Traynor Custom Valve/YCV Lounge

Hulston Prickle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by wader2k

$800.00 ?? My YCV20wr was $350 plus shipping. The only difference is the speaker as far as I can see. Oh, and the color.

The other difference is that apparently Yorkville has only made 150 of these little babies. Going for the limited classic stature I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just picked up a used YCV40. The guy who sold it to me said it had the original tubes in it, so I was ready to change them to JJ's. Funny thing happened though. I found a set of old Sylvania 6L6GC's at a friends house. He gave them to me and I promptly went to change out the power tubes. Man, what a difference. A much tighter tone all around with better bass and more harmonic content.

Funny thing is that the power tubes that were in prior to the switch were JJ 6L6's that looked almost brand new. The Sylvania tubes are far superior. Now, I need to check and replace only the preamp tubes.

I can't imagine how bad this amp must sound with the original sovtek tubes if the JJ's are supposed to be that big of an improvemnet. The Sylvania tubes are far superior.

• Members
Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

Great amps!
:thu:

Hey Randy! How much mileage do you have on your Blue by now? Has it worked consistently without any issues all along? I noticed you once mentioned this being so - I believe that was after half a year's use. I may just go for the Blue, largely based on your recommendation and that smoking CITR clip!

• Members

Originally posted by vicenzajay

Just PM'd MCon as I've retubed my YCV50 Blue as he did.

Anyway, my question concerns hiss....how much should I expect from the lead channel alone? And how much should I expect when latching the boost feature on the lead channel?

Right now I get some minor hiss with lead channel engaged (gain at 5 - eq relatively flat), and I get a LOT of hiss with the boost engaged. If this is normal, great - please let me know (I'm primarily a bass player); however, if I've got a problem, I'd like to know while the unit is still under warranty.

I should mention that the tubes I have are pretty top notch (Tung sol, JAN GE, JJ)

Jay

You shouldn't be getting any hiss. Mine is dead quiet. With the boost engaged, a little hiss is normal becuase there's so much gain being added, but you shouldn't be getting alot. Are you using single coils or humbuckers? I pick up alot of 60 cycle hum with single coils, but that's not the amp's fault. With humbuckers, I don't get much noise at all. Make sure you try different tubes. Even if they're good brands, you can still get a bad one. If that's not the case, you might want to get it checked out, especially if it's under warranty.

• Members

I do not get much hiss even with the boost and gain at 6.

This is with humbuckers of course.

In comparison, high gain pedals have lots of hiss. Too much for me. My son has one that drives me crazy>> now that I get all the gain I want with no hiss.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

It's been a while since anyone responded to this thread so I thought I would chime in. I have a YCV40 and really like it. I've had it for a couple of years, playing mostly blues. I'm getting a little more into plalying smooth jazz and would like to know if anyone out there could suggest what tubes I should put in. Current tubes are JJ's blues kit from Eurotubes.

Zeek

• Members

Originally posted by zeek

It's been a while since anyone responded to this thread so I thought I would chime in. I have a YCV40 and really like it. I've had it for a couple of years, playing mostly blues. I'm getting a little more into plalying smooth jazz and would like to know if anyone out there could suggest what tubes I should put in. Current tubes are JJ's blues kit from Eurotubes.

Zeek

Ya know...I've had my ycv20wr for 6 months now and was planning to get that blues set from Eurotubes and never got around to it. I was hoping to tame that Boost channel...but I don't use that channel anyway.

• Members

With low gain, the boost channel seems excessive. With higer gain settings I have found that the boost is less dramatic.

If you don't want so much overdrive with the high gain on the gain channel, you can turn down your guitar volume knob to get what you want usually.:)

• Members

Greetings all! :wave:

I've had a YVC40WR for about a year and a half now and the honey moon is definitely over. I bought a Black Pearl head last summer, and now I only use the Traynor because it is easier to haul a combo to friends. I'm considering trading it for a YVC20WR because I never play loud enough to push the 40 watter.

How does the YVC20WR compare to the YVC40WR in terms of volume. Is it softer so that I would be able to push it a little harder then the 40 and get a better saturated tube sound? Also, does the YVC20WR have a nice clean sound like the 40WR, or is there always a little break up? If it does have a nice clean, how much head room does it have relative to the 40WR?

Thanks much for any useful info!

• Members

Can't give you much as far as a comparison with the ycv40.....
but I like the cleans on the 20wr.....for anything but keeping up with a drummer it does me fine. And I'd gig with it mic'd anyway. And it's great in the bedroom...pushing mine with a Zoom G7 these days.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Traynor would sell a bundle of these if they came in head format. Or at least one - I'd buy it for sure.

Anyone have any clips of these doing straight up metal or some chugga-chugga? I realize the open back isn't very conducive to it, but it's worth a shot, right?

yeah...soooo true. my ycv40 is running through an Avatar 2x12 closed-back with dual Greenbacks. I dont want to haul both pieces to a gig...so i'm debating ditching the combo cabinet and building a nice head casing for it. Maybe if everyone on this thread asked them to build a head they'd think twice...just wishful thinking. OH and by the way I have some clips on myspace:

Myspace.com/mannyburnett

Heres the setup for the song smoove groove

Guitar: Mexican telecaster with Lindy Fralin stock broadcaster set, GHS 9's

Ran guitar into Digitech Bad Monkey...No gain, but level to the max pushing the preamp (like a clean boost)... I used the guitar volume to control the gritty cleans, and rolled it up to roar.

Into ycv-40 distortion channel with an old philips 12ax7 in V1, new jj's in the other two slots, stock power tubes. Ran into the earlier-mentioned Avatar cab, close miked with an SM57 into Tascam us-144 interface, into Cubase.

Note: added slight reverb in cubase.

The other song called Rays of the sun was recorded using the clean channel with my Gibson Les Paul Special with Lindy Fralin p-90's and DR pure nickel strings. Again reverb added in cubase!

• Members
A new Traynor.

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=359&cat=18&type=32

An EL84 version Traynor Blue.

Jun

Hey all. I actually have one of these, and have had it for quite some time. TThe YCV15 is great. Great clean channel, great OD channel. I have previously owned a YCV40 (one of the very first 50 made) and the YCV50. We did about a half hour of side by side comparison of the YCV50 and the YCV15, and the YCV15 was night and day better. The difference really was amazing. Had to go with the YCV15. I finally got around to plugging this thing into my Marshall 1960BV 4x12 with V30s, hauled out the Les Paul and :love: . One of the nicest sounds I have heard in a long time. You should seriously check this out for sure.

• Members

YCV 40 with a Marshall labeled Vintage 30, RCA pre and SED power tubes. clean channel cranked with the presence and mids turned up gets very Voxy with my Hamer Artist Custom w/ Seths. And cranking the gain channel brings on such output tube OD that the thing becomes a monster with HB's. Single coils dont seem to work as well with the gain channel but on a moderately loud clean channel, a strat gets beautiful fendery tones. I love this little amp. It even gives up great tones at lower volumes.

• Members

yeah...soooo true. my ycv40 is running through an Avatar 2x12 closed-back with dual Greenbacks. I dont want to haul both pieces to a gig...so i'm debating ditching the combo cabinet and building a nice head casing for it. Maybe if everyone on this thread asked them to build a head they'd think twice...just wishful thinking. OH and by the way I have some clips on myspace:

Myspace.com/mannyburnett

Awesome, awesome stuff, man!

I've been gassing for an Avatar 2x12 w/ GBs to go with my YCV 40, and you've convinced me!

• Members

I've been thinking about an Avatar 2x12 with the new Traynor YCS100 head. It might be really nice with the 3 channels and tweakability it seems to have. And I think it looks like a good value. I've heard mixed results, but I won't know until I get to hear one. Some guys hate the 50 blue, but I love it.

But I don't need to "move up" to anything. Sometimes I want to buy things for the wrong reason; like ideas put into my head from Harmony Central. My 50 blue is fine. The only thing I would like is an overdrive pedal. Then I can have some flexibility with distortion levels with the step of a button. A Bad Monkey might do it for now.... Or maybe a Barber.... Or maybe an OCD....

• Members

Hey oozeman. I never did anything like that before. I was gonna take some measurements, and take a trip to the lowes or home depot to get some lumber cut and go from there. I guess then bevel the edges, assemble it with screws, then put some vinyl over it.

Archived