Traynor Custom Valve/YCV Lounge

Hulston Prickle

• Members

I love the sound from my YCV80, but when I put the gain at 8.5 - 10 ( yeah, 10 :mad: :mad: :mad: ) and the Boost is on, I get the staticy screech that is different from feedback (it's higher pitched) and it's freakin annoying. I like the gain at 9 on the distortion channel, but on distortion + boost 7 is good....so I'm not sure what settings I should use.

Anyone else wanna test this? Again it is not like normal feedback from high gain settings.

Otherwise, I can vouch for the jug jug metalness of this amp...you just won't get that death metal pedal sound.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a Ycv40wr so I don't think I need a speaker upgrade-the vintage 30 is fine for me. I'll keep the tubes until they expire then maybe upgrade. I like the amps od but not so much the boost-I prefer to use a Fulldrive II for that, or a Direct Drive for heavier Marshall type stuff-gets way more bite with the DD.
Maybe I'll look into the Blue 50 in the future-is there a huge difference in sound? I tried one briefly, but it's not like owning one.

• Members

Originally posted by wader2k

Have been looking at getting a Boss Gt6 so whoever it was that was going to try the 4 cable hookup on a gt8 let us know how it works out. I am highly interested.

Sorry for the late response, I completely forgot about this thread.

Anyway, yhe YCV50Blue and GT8 in 4-cable hookup works great!!! I am very impressed. I am using it just for effects, but the amp models work pretty well with a good bit of tweaking (which is to be expected since the Traynor is not a full-range amp which is really what the GT8 out-of-the-box sounds are set up for). I am still using the EQ in the loop of the Traynor (after the GT8, right before the FX Rtn on the Traynor) although with the quite extensive EQing capabilities of the GT8 I'm sure I could do without the external one.

• Members

Originally posted by Dumo

I want one of these bad. I called a local dealer and they quoted me almost $800! Woah. Better be good.

$800.00 ?? My YCV20wr was $350 plus shipping. The only difference is the speaker as far as I can see. Oh, and the color.

• Members

Originally posted by wader2k

$800.00 ?? My YCV20wr was $350 plus shipping. The only difference is the speaker as far as I can see. Oh, and the color.

The greenback actually runs more expensive than the red coat governer. ...

Can't say I get this.

• Members

Originally posted by MCon

Sorry for the late response, I completely forgot about this thread.

Anyway, yhe YCV50Blue and GT8 in 4-cable hookup works great!!! I am very impressed. I am using it just for effects, but the amp models work pretty well with a good bit of tweaking (which is to be expected since the Traynor is not a full-range amp which is really what the GT8 out-of-the-box sounds are set up for). I am still using the EQ in the loop of the Traynor (after the GT8, right before the FX Rtn on the Traynor) although with the quite extensive EQing capabilities of the GT8 I'm sure I could do without the external one.

Thanks for the info. I am still split on getting the gt8 or something a little simpler like a yamaha dgstomp or zoom g2.1u

Wade 8^)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a YCV80 and I have changed the preamp tubes to JJ ecc83 and the output tubes are a pair of tonebones (the german equivalent to yellowjackets thd). The amp now works with only two el84's and clocks in at 10 watts. I can crank the master volume up to 6 or 7 no problem at home and practice. The jj preamp switch gave me better distortion. I can dime the gain and add the boost without the overdrive sounding as harsh as it use to stock. Now it's time to change the speakers I think? The question is what will retain the clean channels sound but add something more to the overdrive channel?

• Members

Originally posted by Thenabi

I'm still curious as per my post above if anyone gets the nasty screeching sound with gain on 9-10 and the boost on...

I remember there was a thread a while back from a guy who had the same problem and took the amp back to the dealer and demonstrated the problem, then traded it in or something. A few other people agreed. From what I've heard it was a design flaw in the 40s and 80s that was corrected in the Blue 50 series. I don't think I've ever turned the gain past 7 in my YCV 40 nor do I have any reason to for the styles I play, and I hate the boost, so this flaw is no problem for me. I love El34 crunch, but I just can't sacrifice 6L6 clean punch for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I am the proud owner of the YCV40. I must say that after I purchased it I was ready to get rid of it because I just could not get it dialed in to my taste. Then I retubed it with a set of JJ's and have been in love with it ever since. I would like to find a way to crank it down to about 10 watts without using a attenuator. Is there anyone out there that could give me some advise on this.

zeek

• Members

I have a YCV20WR and the YCX-112WR. I think they sound great. I am not crazy about the drive channel. You can get a pretty good OD but not very good distortion. Easily overcome with the right pedal(s). I have run a V-ampII into the fx loop and it sounded great. From suggestions in this thread, I'm gonna try my MXR 10-band in the loop to mess with EQ and gain to the power section. Clean sounds great. Speaker mute, DI & headphone outs are nice features. I retubed with JJ's early on. Made a significant improvement in the sound. Especially in tightening the low end. Neither Tuki nor Clound 9 make covers for this amp due to the curved front. I use a Gator 112 transporter and the styrofoam corners that came in the amp's box to secure it in the case. I use amp stands for both the amp and cabinet so they point at my head and not my ankles or arse.

That's my story...

Cheers!

Scredly

• Members

Just PM'd MCon as I've retubed my YCV50 Blue as he did.

Anyway, my question concerns hiss....how much should I expect from the lead channel alone? And how much should I expect when latching the boost feature on the lead channel?

Right now I get some minor hiss with lead channel engaged (gain at 5 - eq relatively flat), and I get a LOT of hiss with the boost engaged. If this is normal, great - please let me know (I'm primarily a bass player); however, if I've got a problem, I'd like to know while the unit is still under warranty.

I should mention that the tubes I have are pretty top notch (Tung sol, JAN GE, JJ)

Jay

• Members

I love my YCV40, and it's still stock.

I'm going to upgrade the speaker eventually to a Jensen Neo (50 or 70) because they're cheap and uncommon and probably better than the 70/80.

I still haven't changed the tubes in the 3 years since I bought it. And I bought it used to boot. Still no problems and it's got my tone.

Archived