EVH Wolfgang vs Wolfgang Special

NaturalBornBoy

• Members

I am talking about the springs in the back of the tremolo, you just have to tighten the screws holding the claw the trem springs are attached to.

198008354_156fa237b3.jpg

Oh ok.

But if the trem is already parallel to the body like all Floyds are supposed to be, won't tightening the springs further cause the trem to bend backwards? Or does the body stop that from happening?

Sorry for all the questions :D

• Members

But you must like your other guitars better right?

Well.. I'm kinda forced to sell.. Baby on the way and need the space. The jp6 might be on the chopping block as well. Honestly I don't wanna sell any but I would like to have a small multi watt amp.. Something like a orange th30.

• Members

Well.. I'm kinda forced to sell.. Baby on the way and need the space. The jp6 might be on the chopping block as well. Honestly I don't wanna sell any but I would like to have a small multi watt amp.. Something like a orange th30.

Ah, I see.

How do you find the vintage frets?

• Members

I absolutely love the vintage frets far more than I thought I ever would have. The pickups definitely have more of a duncan flavor than the previous dimarzio incarnations as well. I think they sound fantastic in both positions. I did add a spring to mine to stiffen the trem and offset the tension of .10s like the above posters mentioned.

• Members

One more thing, how do those vintage frets feel? I've always used jumbo frets.

They are actually pretty awesome.. I never like the big jumbo stuff on Ibanez and other modern guitars.but a step or 2 down is what I like. Like Dunlop 6150 is my favorite. But those little frets on the Wolfgang are very comfortable..very smooth, because of the low profile, but they are Stainless steel so they should last a long time..

• Members

Ive actually played all three. The Music Man Axis, The USA EVH Wolfgang and The EVH Wolfgang special. I haven't played a Peavey wolfgang yet, but thats next!!

In all honesty the USA and the Japan Wolfgang are very similar. (however I have heard they are moving production from Japan to Mexico, so get them now while you still can!). The USA is a little bit warmer and more smoother overall, while the Special is a little more bright, but as a little more bite to my ears. The neck and floyds feel the exact same compared. The D tuna is a nice feature that is simple and easy to use, but it's tricky to set up, but once it is, the results are golden.

The vintage size frets actually feel quite good on the neck, but to me it's just a whole new feel on a guitar neck for me. I personally liked it. And since these frets are "stainless steel" they will not suck tone from the guitar. I have no idea on where this crazy rumor started, but people who say that are crazy, it has nothing to do about tone.

If I were to choose, I would get the Special because I don't care much about tops. I can adjust all of the sounds on the tone control on the guitar, and adjust the eq settings on the guitar amp. The USA does have a lot more options for maple tops though.

Check out the Music Man Axis, a fantastic guitar that is for $1800 street price and made in the USA. Very similar to the Wolfgang, but the neck is a little bit smaller but it still feels good. Plus the pickups are REALLY hot on the guitar.

Hope this helps

• Members

I've owned both and can say that the USA Wolfie is better in feel and construction...BUT not worth double the price of the Wolfie special.

I'm actually going to buy another special in a couple of months since I miss having a floyd loaded guitar.

Again, you can certainly feel a bit of better craftsmanship with USA model but you won't miss much going with the Wolf Special :thu:

• Members

i have a wolfgang special and i absolutely love it ! plenty of sustain for a trem guitar ! Love the stock bridge pickup and replaced the neck with a dimarzio bluesbucker for some cleaner tones. A hard guitar to beat.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Have a EVH Wolfgang Stealth Grey, and love it so much, I dare say it's the best damn playing axe I've ever had......really. The Special is VERY GOOD, but I will be honest that the maple carved top makes the guitar sound like a whole different class of animal: NEVER believe you can get the same sound from the two models: you can't at all!

Archived