5153 vs Bogner Ecstasy . . .

sahlomonic

• Members

I think the B sounds fantastic. I was just as reserved as you in thinking I wouldn't like it without 6l6's, because that's what I was used to as well. But it really does what it does fantastically well. I know the sag you speak of, and I actually kind of like that. There are mods you can do to tighten it up some if you feel it's too loose downlow.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

I think the B sounds fantastic. I was just as reserved as you in thinking I wouldn't like it without 6l6's, because that's what I was used to as well. But it really does what it does fantastically well. I know the sag you speak of, and I actually kind of like that. There are mods you can do to tighten it up some if you feel it's too loose downlow.

Recently I thought my playing style was actually a little too percussive for the amp I have, and simple thinking thought an EL-34 based amp would help out with that, since I love the sound of a somewhat loose low end, like cranked/boosted Plexis. The "sag" is something to get used to, but like I said I like it. It adds a certain depth to the playing that I haven't had with any of my other amps. Who knows, I'm saving for an amp anyway thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

Recently I thought my playing style was actually a little too percussive for the amp I have, and simple thinking thought an EL-34 based amp would help out with that, since I love the sound of a somewhat loose low end, like cranked/boosted Plexis. The "sag" is something to get used to, but like I said I like it. It adds a certain depth to the playing that I haven't had with any of my other amps. Who knows, I'm saving for an amp anyway thumb.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The Bogner 101B is truly the best amp out on the market today. This is a Swiss Army Knife of tone. You can dial in your power from 100 watts down to 7 watts. EQ switching, Presence assignments, and Gain Structure switching, You can spend hours playing with the settings on this amp creating tones. I just wish it was midi and that you could save the settings.

• Members

I used to own a Bogner Ecstacy 101B with all options. The Bogner is fantastic! You can do so much with this amp for both live & recording. You can really dial it in. However it does have a learnign curve, and you can get lost in the deatures. Channel 1 was actually designed to be more of a fender type circuit; Some really beautful cleans can be had on this channel. The whole class A, A/B switch combined with using the vintage / modern, and use of the Speaker excursion settings allow for a plethora of possibilities. It's like having 6 amps in one. Speaker cabinet & speaker combination can have dramtic effect on top of all of that. I had the oversized 2x12 Bogner cab. Though I really loved using a divided by 13 2x2 with greenbacks - HEAVEN. 

HOWEVER... This amp really shines at higher volumes! It takes on another whole level of awesome, and your neighbors in the next city will hear it.

Archived