5153 vs Bogner Ecstasy . . .

sahlomonic

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

View Post

I have. My old guitarist has one of the newest versions of the 101b (for sale at rig talk actually) and there was nothing major different between the two being played side by side. there were minor differences in the voicing but nothing big.

Gotcha...well then I guess it comes down to that thing called, "tastes" smile.gif Everyone hears things different. I love mine, but I will admit, I realllllly want to play a nitro...bad.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

View Post

I have. My old guitarist has one of the newest versions of the 101b (for sale at rig talk actually) and there was nothing major different between the two being played side by side. there were minor differences in the voicing but nothing big.

Gotcha...well then I guess it comes down to that thing called, "tastes" smile.gif Everyone hears things different. I love mine, but I will admit, I realllllly want to play a nitro...bad.

• Members

. . . and I'm back. Dayum. Quick little post jam review before I hit the hay for the night; tomorrow I'll probably go in depth a little more.

Ok, a little background. Misle had his Fryette Sig:X running through a Fryette front loaded straight cab with the Pitbull speakers. KCTigerChief had his 101b though a V30 straight Bogner cab. The cabs and speakers to each amp are likely the best match you could put together for each rig. Ran my Jet City JCA100H through each cab, and then both cabs love.gif, but it sounded best through the Bogner cab.

Guitar: Sterling AX40 (import version of MusicMan Axis, but no maple top), with a Peavey Wolfgang pickup in the bridge. Tuned to Eb drop C#.

I played the Bogner first. Started green, blue, red. Green channel was really, really good. Didn't mess with any of those settings because I was pleased with how it was. Didn't have a whole lot of breakup, but was nice and fat sounding, and almost bell like on the neck pickup. Blue channel, I favored the Gain all the way up, and I can easily use that as a rhythm channel in my band. Boost function on Blue and Red channels is a slight volume boost, but kicks the gain into serious mode biggrin.gif Red channel, loved it. Boosted Red was as heavy as I anticipated it to be. Not brutally heavy, but more than enough to get some damn good palm muted runs going. Didn't mess around with the Plexi modes much because like real Plexis, needs to be cranked. What I mentioned to Misle, was that what I noticed was something I wasn't used to in most of the amps I've owned/played. A slight amount of sag, mostly heard in the bottom end; the V30s probably aided in this as I found the Fryette cab a little tighter and articulate on the bottom end and a lot brighter than the Bogner cab. I'm used to playing on 6L6 amps that are fairly tight and articulate, but the sag in the 101b was actually something I liked. Almost like a subtle delay that fattens up the tone. Maybe its just me but it really stuck out to me. It's not an aggressive tone at all in my opinion, but it was fun playing.

Then played the Sig:X halfstack. The controls/modes were reminiscent of Mesa Recs, so made sense once I started eyeing it. Rhythm channel was really good, and seemed a bit punchier than the 101b. The lead channel, same sort of structure I felt but with another gain stage. Immediately was familiar with the lead tone as it had a lot of similarities with my Jet City amp. Clean channel was also very good, but I would favor the 101b's clean overall.

Then I hooked up my JCA100H to the Bogner cab and freaking loved it. I'm of course very biased here because I have 2+ years invested into this amp and know it's tone very well at this point. Plus I think I ran my Jet City louder than the other 2 rigs so the overall presence sounded better from my amp. Out of all the cabs and speakers I've tried, the V30 Bogner 4x12 wins. My Lynchbacks are great, but until I try a quad of those in a quality cab like that Bogner, the V30 Bogner cab is the one I should really pair it up with. As I noted earlier, the Pitbull loaded Fryette cab was also great sounding, but had a lot more highs and a tighter bottom end. I was able to adjust my EQ and get it on the same field as the V30s, but I preferred pushing the amp's EQ more through the V30s.

Then Misle stopped me for a sec and said he had an idea. What, run the Jet City through both cabs? Of course! biggrin.gif Running both complimented each other very well and I was able to retain the settings I used with the Bogner cab and it all sounded awesome.

I was only able to mess with the amps for maybe an hour and a half, but I wish I had an entire day to tweak them because I'm sure I'd love the Bogner and Fryette even more. I could easily take either rig with my band and would do just fine, but I think that the *gasp* Fryette would edge out a win, given my band's style. My other guitarist plays a Triple Rec through a G-Flex, and I think the Fryette would compliment that tone better than the Bogner could.

FRPC, I can side with you on your opinion of the 101b. After you mentioned that "oomph" that it seems to lack, that exactly what I was hearing too. I'm so used to amps that are built or capable of very heavy metal, but haven't played with non-high gain amps like that much. If I stuck to AIC inspired rhythms like I've been playing every now and then, I'd pick that 101b in a heartbeat.

Off to bed gents . . .

• Members

. . . and I'm back. Dayum. Quick little post jam review before I hit the hay for the night; tomorrow I'll probably go in depth a little more.

Ok, a little background. Misle had his Fryette Sig:X running through a Fryette front loaded straight cab with the Pitbull speakers. KCTigerChief had his 101b though a V30 straight Bogner cab. The cabs and speakers to each amp are likely the best match you could put together for each rig. Ran my Jet City JCA100H through each cab, and then both cabs love.gif, but it sounded best through the Bogner cab.

Guitar: Sterling AX40 (import version of MusicMan Axis, but no maple top), with a Peavey Wolfgang pickup in the bridge. Tuned to Eb drop C#.

I played the Bogner first. Started green, blue, red. Green channel was really, really good. Didn't mess with any of those settings because I was pleased with how it was. Didn't have a whole lot of breakup, but was nice and fat sounding, and almost bell like on the neck pickup. Blue channel, I favored the Gain all the way up, and I can easily use that as a rhythm channel in my band. Boost function on Blue and Red channels is a slight volume boost, but kicks the gain into serious mode biggrin.gif Red channel, loved it. Boosted Red was as heavy as I anticipated it to be. Not brutally heavy, but more than enough to get some damn good palm muted runs going. Didn't mess around with the Plexi modes much because like real Plexis, needs to be cranked. What I mentioned to Misle, was that what I noticed was something I wasn't used to in most of the amps I've owned/played. A slight amount of sag, mostly heard in the bottom end; the V30s probably aided in this as I found the Fryette cab a little tighter and articulate on the bottom end and a lot brighter than the Bogner cab. I'm used to playing on 6L6 amps that are fairly tight and articulate, but the sag in the 101b was actually something I liked. Almost like a subtle delay that fattens up the tone. Maybe its just me but it really stuck out to me. It's not an aggressive tone at all in my opinion, but it was fun playing.

Then played the Sig:X halfstack. The controls/modes were reminiscent of Mesa Recs, so made sense once I started eyeing it. Rhythm channel was really good, and seemed a bit punchier than the 101b. The lead channel, same sort of structure I felt but with another gain stage. Immediately was familiar with the lead tone as it had a lot of similarities with my Jet City amp. Clean channel was also very good, but I would favor the 101b's clean overall.

Then I hooked up my JCA100H to the Bogner cab and freaking loved it. I'm of course very biased here because I have 2+ years invested into this amp and know it's tone very well at this point. Plus I think I ran my Jet City louder than the other 2 rigs so the overall presence sounded better from my amp. Out of all the cabs and speakers I've tried, the V30 Bogner 4x12 wins. My Lynchbacks are great, but until I try a quad of those in a quality cab like that Bogner, the V30 Bogner cab is the one I should really pair it up with. As I noted earlier, the Pitbull loaded Fryette cab was also great sounding, but had a lot more highs and a tighter bottom end. I was able to adjust my EQ and get it on the same field as the V30s, but I preferred pushing the amp's EQ more through the V30s.

Then Misle stopped me for a sec and said he had an idea. What, run the Jet City through both cabs? Of course! biggrin.gif Running both complimented each other very well and I was able to retain the settings I used with the Bogner cab and it all sounded awesome.

I was only able to mess with the amps for maybe an hour and a half, but I wish I had an entire day to tweak them because I'm sure I'd love the Bogner and Fryette even more. I could easily take either rig with my band and would do just fine, but I think that the *gasp* Fryette would edge out a win, given my band's style. My other guitarist plays a Triple Rec through a G-Flex, and I think the Fryette would compliment that tone better than the Bogner could.

FRPC, I can side with you on your opinion of the 101b. After you mentioned that "oomph" that it seems to lack, that exactly what I was hearing too. I'm so used to amps that are built or capable of very heavy metal, but haven't played with non-high gain amps like that much. If I stuck to AIC inspired rhythms like I've been playing every now and then, I'd pick that 101b in a heartbeat.

Off to bed gents . . .

• Members

That's a very very good review of both amps actually. When Matt and I play together, the two amps compliment each other very well. And I think you nailed the differences down quite perfectly. I was texting matt earlier, and I told him I wasn't surprised the Fryette would work better for you, knowing your style. But I do think the Bogner red with the boost on could hang up with your style enough. Though the fryette certainly is a bit more aggressive amp.

Glad you got a chance to give them the run through man! thumb.gif

• Members

That's a very very good review of both amps actually. When Matt and I play together, the two amps compliment each other very well. And I think you nailed the differences down quite perfectly. I was texting matt earlier, and I told him I wasn't surprised the Fryette would work better for you, knowing your style. But I do think the Bogner red with the boost on could hang up with your style enough. Though the fryette certainly is a bit more aggressive amp.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sahlomonic

View Post

FRPC, I can side with you on your opinion of the 101b. After you mentioned that "oomph" that it seems to lack, that exactly what I was hearing too.

Man you should have been at the augusta ampfest last year. Mufasa took everyone's virginity that day... EVERYONE'S. It even slapped the Fortin around like a little bitch cop.gif

• Members

View Post

FRPC, I can side with you on your opinion of the 101b. After you mentioned that "oomph" that it seems to lack, that exactly what I was hearing too.

Man you should have been at the augusta ampfest last year. Mufasa took everyone's virginity that day... EVERYONE'S. It even slapped the Fortin around like a little bitch cop.gif

• Members

FRPC, were you able to run your XTC through a Bogner 4x12? Could be what was missing idn_smilie.gif I know the Bogner Uberschall sounds best through its Uberkab. Tried the Uber through my Soldano 4x12 (with the speakers you now have), and just wasn't the same.

• Members

FRPC, were you able to run your XTC through a Bogner 4x12? Could be what was missing idn_smilie.gif I know the Bogner Uberschall sounds best through its Uberkab. Tried the Uber through my Soldano 4x12 (with the speakers you now have), and just wasn't the same.

• Members

View Post

yeah I ran both my classic and his 101b through his uberkab and another friend's XTC cab.

The amp is good, that's not the problem. The problem is that it simply is not as powerful and clear/clean of an amp on stage as the nitro and it's kinda one of those things where once you are accustomed to hearing and feeling the sound being delivered a certain way, it's hard for your ears to go to anything else.

The XTC's both had a smoother and more compressed attack where as the nitro has a much more clean/percussive "thwack" to the sound.

• Members

View Post

yeah I ran both my classic and his 101b through his uberkab and another friend's XTC cab.

The amp is good, that's not the problem. The problem is that it simply is not as powerful and clear/clean of an amp on stage as the nitro and it's kinda one of those things where once you are accustomed to hearing and feeling the sound being delivered a certain way, it's hard for your ears to go to anything else.

The XTC's both had a smoother and more compressed attack where as the nitro has a much more clean/percussive "thwack" to the sound.

• Members

View Post

• Members

View Post

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

Thanks for letting me run it through the paces. BTW what tubes are you running in there? Matt and I talked a bit about the 101a - I wonder if I would like the 6L6 version more.

One thing I'm certain of, I'm in love with Bogner cabs. Even if I don't end up getting an XTC I'd still want one of those cabs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

Thanks for letting me run it through the paces. BTW what tubes are you running in there? Matt and I talked a bit about the 101a - I wonder if I would like the 6L6 version more.

One thing I'm certain of, I'm in love with Bogner cabs. Even if I don't end up getting an XTC I'd still want one of those cabs.

• Members

This vid @ 1:20 just screams sexy.

There's this sort of "bite" that I hear on the low E string on a lot of YouTube vids of this amp, and I love that kind of sound. Hell, good thing is if I end up not liking it like I thought I would, I can always roll it into an SLO or a Sig: X, or probably dozens of amps at that point.

• Members

This vid @ 1:20 just screams sexy.

There's this sort of "bite" that I hear on the low E string on a lot of YouTube vids of this amp, and I love that kind of sound. Hell, good thing is if I end up not liking it like I thought I would, I can always roll it into an SLO or a Sig: X, or probably dozens of amps at that point.

• Members

It sounds awesome to be honest. The vid above. I'd take this amp if the voicing/feel is what I wanted. Meaning, that in most a/b tests one amp is almost certain to lose to another in punch or volume or ability in high volumes etc. But do these things matter firstly to you?

For me it would be core tone, features and feel. By the way does the 101b take 6L6's?

• Members

It sounds awesome to be honest. The vid above. I'd take this amp if the voicing/feel is what I wanted. Meaning, that in most a/b tests one amp is almost certain to lose to another in punch or volume or ability in high volumes etc. But do these things matter firstly to you?

For me it would be core tone, features and feel. By the way does the 101b take 6L6's?

• Members

• Members

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tech21man

View Post

Short answer, yes. *HOWEVER* I've read/heard you have to do a lot of mods to it to switch it over - it doesn't have a toggle switch like a Peavey XXX does to swap those kinds of tubes. Not only that the circuit isn't voiced for 6L6 tubes so it probably isn't worth doing it. Having said that, there is a factory 6L6 Ecstasy -the 101A (A=American voicing, B=British voicing).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tech21man

View Post

Short answer, yes. *HOWEVER* I've read/heard you have to do a lot of mods to it to switch it over - it doesn't have a toggle switch like a Peavey XXX does to swap those kinds of tubes. Not only that the circuit isn't voiced for 6L6 tubes so it probably isn't worth doing it. Having said that, there is a factory 6L6 Ecstasy -the 101A (A=American voicing, B=British voicing).

• Members

I think the B sounds fantastic. I was just as reserved as you in thinking I wouldn't like it without 6l6's, because that's what I was used to as well. But it really does what it does fantastically well. I know the sag you speak of, and I actually kind of like that. There are mods you can do to tighten it up some if you feel it's too loose downlow.

Archived