5153 vs Bogner Ecstasy . . .

sahlomonic

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shane159

View Post

The Ectasy that I played on had about the same, if not more gain than my Nitroidn_smilie.gif

ah I missed this. my nitro does heavy tones way better than the xtc I owned. on a side note the xtc was better than my original 08 nitro but I like almost every amp I have owned better than that {censored}er

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by tech21man

View Post

How about the VHT sig:X and/or ultra lead?

There are tons of cool amps out there but if you are set on the XTC then that is what I would get if its thing is the no1 trick you want.

Played a Sig:X for a few minutes too at the ampfest. Like I told Misle, I think I was too intimidated by all the knobs and switches to really get into it. Can't remember what channel I was on, but it sounded brutal through the G-flex cab. I've heard some people who aren't too into the VHT type sound is because it's 'too dry' sounding. idn_smilie.gif

Thing is, the XTC has been on my list longer than any other amp. I'll admit at this point its more of wanting to check that box rather than to say it's the best and last amp I'll ever own. There are just some things I hear even on YouTube vids that make me think I'd really enjoy it.

• Members

View Post

How about the VHT sig:X and/or ultra lead?

There are tons of cool amps out there but if you are set on the XTC then that is what I would get if its thing is the no1 trick you want.

Played a Sig:X for a few minutes too at the ampfest. Like I told Misle, I think I was too intimidated by all the knobs and switches to really get into it. Can't remember what channel I was on, but it sounded brutal through the G-flex cab. I've heard some people who aren't too into the VHT type sound is because it's 'too dry' sounding. idn_smilie.gif

Thing is, the XTC has been on my list longer than any other amp. I'll admit at this point its more of wanting to check that box rather than to say it's the best and last amp I'll ever own. There are just some things I hear even on YouTube vids that make me think I'd really enjoy it.

• Members

And what better thing than to be inspired by gear and play? {censored} it and go buy one because, whichever amp you buy instead of it such as the nitro or VHT will do its own thing and you'll want the XTC thing anyway...don't end up putting an XTC blue pedal or red in a clean channel of another amp if what you want is the real one. In the end buy the XTC and another amp alltogether.

• Members

And what better thing than to be inspired by gear and play? {censored} it and go buy one because, whichever amp you buy instead of it such as the nitro or VHT will do its own thing and you'll want the XTC thing anyway...don't end up putting an XTC blue pedal or red in a clean channel of another amp if what you want is the real one. In the end buy the XTC and another amp alltogether.

• Members

View Post

Sound advice. Time to save up and actually go for it.

tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif

• Members

View Post

Sound advice. Time to save up and actually go for it.

tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by magh8

View Post

ah I missed this. my nitro does heavy tones way better than the xtc I owned. on a side note the xtc was better than my original 08 nitro but I like almost every amp I have owned better than that {censored}er

I agree that the Nitro does heavier tones better for sure, but I really liked the XTC allot. I am considering buying one if I can find the right deal sometime in the near future.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by magh8

View Post

I agree that the Nitro does heavier tones better for sure, but I really liked the XTC allot. I am considering buying one if I can find the right deal sometime in the near future.

• Members

View Post

I highly recommend the Nitro.

Same here. I had the XTC classic for a while but in a band scenario, the nitro just thrashed it around like nobody's business. The XTC's problem (at least in my opinion) is that the sound coming out of the amp doesn't have a clear and powerful "oomph" to the attack and I found it struggling (not kidding here) to remain coherent in a mix with a 50 watt DSL.

It had nothing to do with the EQ'ing or the rest of the setup because once I plugged my nitro in, it was clean as a whistle and made that DSL virtually disappear from the mix. The power and sheer massive presence and wall of sound that comes out of the nitro has yet (in any amp I've owned or heard in person) to be matched and for that reason, it's always stuck around. I always keep going back to it.

Yeah the xtc has a TON of different tones and runs circles around the nitro in a recording environment when flexibilty is called for but when it comes to dishing out a 10 ton dump truck sized punch to the gut, nothing I've ever heard can deliver that like the nitro and for me personally, when I'm on stage, give me one KILLER tone and I am good. A clean channel (eh... not much use these days) and a boost for thickening up lead parts and that's all I've come to depend on these days.

Many amps have come and gone but Mufasa is still the king.

Edit: make no mistake though, I WANTED to love that XTC SOO bad. I had dreamed of owning that amp for at least 8 or 9 years and tweaked that thing till I was blue in the face but in the end, I wasn't fooling myself and for what the amp was worth, I wasn't going to TRY and like it and never be 100% happy. It hurt to sell but in the end, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

• Members

View Post

I highly recommend the Nitro.

Same here. I had the XTC classic for a while but in a band scenario, the nitro just thrashed it around like nobody's business. The XTC's problem (at least in my opinion) is that the sound coming out of the amp doesn't have a clear and powerful "oomph" to the attack and I found it struggling (not kidding here) to remain coherent in a mix with a 50 watt DSL.

It had nothing to do with the EQ'ing or the rest of the setup because once I plugged my nitro in, it was clean as a whistle and made that DSL virtually disappear from the mix. The power and sheer massive presence and wall of sound that comes out of the nitro has yet (in any amp I've owned or heard in person) to be matched and for that reason, it's always stuck around. I always keep going back to it.

Yeah the xtc has a TON of different tones and runs circles around the nitro in a recording environment when flexibilty is called for but when it comes to dishing out a 10 ton dump truck sized punch to the gut, nothing I've ever heard can deliver that like the nitro and for me personally, when I'm on stage, give me one KILLER tone and I am good. A clean channel (eh... not much use these days) and a boost for thickening up lead parts and that's all I've come to depend on these days.

Edit: make no mistake though, I WANTED to love that XTC SOO bad. I had dreamed of owning that amp for at least 8 or 9 years and tweaked that thing till I was blue in the face but in the end, I wasn't fooling myself and for what the amp was worth, I wasn't going to TRY and like it and never be 100% happy. It hurt to sell but in the end, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

View Post

You should try a newer 101b...because I think there is a pretty big difference between them...I haven't really had a problem, and the tone is definitely what I'd call thick and "oomphy"...Maybe not all Ecstasy's are created equal idn_smilie.gif

Sahl, hope you enjoyed the Bogner Sextasy (as ed_sped2) calls it...Thing has some mojo love.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

View Post

You should try a newer 101b...because I think there is a pretty big difference between them...I haven't really had a problem, and the tone is definitely what I'd call thick and "oomphy"...Maybe not all Ecstasy's are created equal idn_smilie.gif

Sahl, hope you enjoyed the Bogner Sextasy (as ed_sped2) calls it...Thing has some mojo love.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

I have. My old guitarist has one of the newest versions of the 101b (for sale at rig talk actually) and there was nothing major different between the two being played side by side. there were minor differences in the voicing but nothing big.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

I have. My old guitarist has one of the newest versions of the 101b (for sale at rig talk actually) and there was nothing major different between the two being played side by side. there were minor differences in the voicing but nothing big.

Archived