Did Eddie Van Halen really use 5150's?

butterguitar

• Members

I was back stage at the monitor position for many of the UK shows on the Balance tour. There was an SLO in his racks, but no 5150, head or combo. None that hade power cords attached, anyway.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In interviews from around the release of {censored} he claims all of {censored} is the 5150 apart from The Dream Is Over which is a custom preamp and Top Of The World which is the SLO.

Also says that the only time the Marshall is on Balance is on Aftershock, just after it'd been rebuilt/refurb'd.

• Members

The Jet City JCA100h IS the same amp as the Hot Rod 100 just with the same spec transformer made elsewhere.  Doug from Jet City dropped the onetics in a JCA100h and said they couldn't tell a difference.  The difference in tone from the two is the tubes they ship with, the fact that they are biased stupid cold and probably a little bit from our brains telling us the Soldano has to sound better because it's more expensive.  As far as balance I agree it doesn't sound like a 5150 to me really but a mix of the Soldano and something else.

_Shane

• Members

Eddie used a lot of amps in his hayday. He used too many for me to count. But when he designed the 5150 he did start using it. It's obvious because anyone who has owned a 5150 can hear eddie's tone in there quite easily. I'm not a huge fan of my 5150 anymore. It just sounds too harsh. Even though i like high gain stuff, I like the notes to come thorugh nice and clear. Wiith the 5150 it isn't clear for me. It sounds like bee's. 

On another tone, if I run the 1101 5150, or the POD HD 500 treadplate through the 6150 power amp or the carvin ts-100 power amp, it sounds better than the real thing. Way less noisy. Turned down or turned up, it sounds amazing. 

I have kept my 5150 due to just using the power amp. The Carvin is my main tube power amp but the 5150 is my backup tube power amp. But I wouldn't consider using the pre amp any longer. And yes I know how to dial it in, I've had one all of my life.

Archived