Ampeg VH-140c....

Ovid9

• Members

A mint condition 1982 Peavey T-60 with OHSC proof of purchase and warranty card for example. ME WANT!!!
:lol:

I never have understood the T-60 love around here. Old school USA Tracer? Yes, thank you very much! But don't get the T-60 at all.

• Members

I never have understood the T-60 love around here. Old school USA Tracer? Yes, thank you very much! But don't get the T-60 at all.

I had a Tracer. It was a nice guitar, but the neck KILLED my hand. Way to thin and flat. The T-60 is more of a giant ugly block of wood and has those sweet pickups in it. :D

I'm also weird. This has been stated over and over.

• Members

I've owned a T-60. Twice. They both played very nice, and the phaser switch was really cool to play around with and all, but ultimately it was just too big and heavy to ever gig with, don't bother with that one Ovid, I promise. Neat if you're a collector, and that's about it. The amp? Sure, why not, because after all, a 73rd cheap amp is what everybody needs, amirite?

• Members

I've owned a T-60. Twice. They both played very nice, and the phaser switch was really cool to play around with and all, but ultimately it was just too big and heavy to ever gig with, don't bother with that one Ovid, I promise. Neat if you're a collector, and that's about it. The amp? Sure, why not, because after all, a 73rd cheap amp is what everybody needs, amirite?

Yeah, I'm not getting the T-60, I just want it. :lol:

And yeah, I totally need another amp. I mean, I just sold a silly loud solid state amp. I should replace it shouldn't I? :cop:

Maybe I should just sell off my ACC150 & VTM, keep the Bravo, sell off 3 of my guitars and buy this baby!

• Members

Do it, that's a great deal, and Ampeg VH140C's are getting very hard to find. They aren't the greatest amp but if Death metal is your thing, then you can't really go wrong with one of these amps, they have a really mean grind to them when doing the brootz, but they sound a bit thin for any kinda rock tones.

But you don't play metal so: buy, then re-sell for profit. That's what i'd do. You should be able to get at least $600 on ebay, if you do it right.

• Members

^ There ya go.

We're far from death metal too - the songs on the bandcamp page in my sig were all recorded with the VH-140C (2 tracks panned hard left/right, with a Richtone Cherrybomb down the middle in parts) It's a dirty tone, but not the tight/ultra-brutal tone that people think of when they think of the VH-140C.

I'm checking out your band now and digging it. Interesting mix of styles.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

This amp has a great clean channel for jazz.  It also has the best and most unique reverb of almost any other amp. 

If youre using the vh140c head, just make sure you run it in stereo, preferably with 2 cabinets.

When using the clean channel also make sure that you have the volume at max and the gain all the way down.  This is so that you can use the gain as a volume knob. This works well to keep as little gain in your clean sound as possible.  If your volume is at 10 and your gain is only on 1 or 2, the amp will be clear, clean, and punchy, yet still loud.  Even with the volume on 10 and the gain on 3 and 4, the sound still remains clean.

The clean channel is naturally powerful and bright, but can be warmed up easily.  The sound is noticably much smoother when the highs are turned down.  A good equalizer or enhancer can dramatically improve your tone and output as well.  

Ampegs have always been great for jazz and clean tones.  This amp is also good for prog and fusion because of its solid distortion and rich midrange.  It shines for heavy gain applications like deathmetal, grindcore, and hardcore though.  A lot of people use this distortion with a more scooped sound.

Archived