Small Solid State Amp

Ed the Dog

• Members

A big sounding, low cost, SS combo amp... hmmm...  OK!

First choice : I'd suggest either a Vox Pathfinder 15 or 15R (they sell for around $60 used around here)

Second choice : Try out the Fender Frontman 25R ($50-$75 used).  No comparison between it and the Squier 10.

• Members

I know it's a tall order. I'm hoping to find something that sounds good enough to want to play. When I was in high school a friend had a small Fender Champ with tubes. Man that thing had a soul. If I had never played through that amp, then I probably would have given up on the Sears amp thing that I had.

Is the Fender 15 in line with the amps you mentioned? There is nothing around here that's in range and sounds good.

Thanks for the reply.

• Members

defintely go with a little Marshall. All things being equal...it's cool to have Marshall on it? {shrug}.

PS....I attended a clinic with a local band...they did awesome Zappa tunes...and exp-lained all the rhythm patterns...but anyway...he used two MG50 combos. A lil bigger than your target...but still...sounded just f'n fine to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Another vote for the Vox Pathfinder 15R.  Sounds way better than it has any reason to, and better than the frontman 15 IMHO.  A lot of times I prefer to play it rather than my silverface twin.  Search on HCFX, there was a pretty long thread on there about it with links to some soundclips.

• Members

I dig the Pathfinder.

I would highly, highly encourage a Roland Cube as well. Lots of different wattages, lots of sizes, all terrific sounding.

And reliable as the tides. That's the only caveat with the Vox...I've heard they have a bit of a tendency to be moody.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for the wisdom. I picked up Peavey transtube locally for a song, and I don't sing well. Excellent amp. I'be tortured many a fine amp. If I had this Peavy a few years ago then I might not have been on the search: I would 'a just found another Peavey. Gracias amigos.

Archived