Is it just me or has the EVH 5153 become a huge fad on these forums?

Chrisjd

• Members

I owned a 5153 when they first came out and i liked the amp alot, i had a bunch of the peaveys but for me personally i like the 5153 better. i played mine for a year and even used it live but i sold it to buy something else but i really wished i had just kept it. for teh past 2 years i wanting another wanting another one and earlier this year i bought another 5153 and the matching cab for 1600, so im pretty happy with it.

• Members

The 5153 just brings the br00tz better. And in reality, it is what it is- a more modern 5150. The Peaveys came out in what, 1991? They defined the metal/hard rock sound for two decades, now it's time the updated version takes over.

• Members

He fears it is more scooped and will be buried in the mix.

This.

I ran it with the mids WFO and it still was no where close to as cutting in a band mix as my Switchblade is with the mids at about noon.

Again, it depends on each players wants/needs. The amp simply didn't do what I wanted it to do, so I sold it for a pretty penny, bought a Metaltronix just for fun, and threw the rest of the dough in the bank.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I just got a 5153 and I tested it extensively with my triple recto and my buddies peavey 5150. Tested through a mesa 4x12 with v30's and a one with g12-75's with 2 good, but different sounding guitars. The 5153 is the winner for sure. It is more clear, easier to play, better cleans, IMO better gain voicing and it cuts in a band mix way better. The mesa has too much mud, even with a ts9 and eq in the fx loop.i love my mesa but the ears don't lie. People that say the 5153 isn't as good as an original peavey really haven't **** around with them side by side for hours and compared them.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Chrisjd wrote:

I remember when this amp came out, many people were saying the peavey's sounded better(which i wholeheartedly agree). All of a sudden a few major metal bands started playing them, and now all you twats **** love this amp
:lol:

I played one at guitar center and was very underwhelmed with the high gain sound, my impression was that my Peavey's sound ridiculously better.

Maybe I need to play one again?
:idk:

NOT ME . . . i'll take my 'old' block letter 5150 over the new VERY generic sounding EVH 5153 ANY DAY ! 

Same happend when KRANK ame out a few years ago.

NO ONE LIKE THE AMPS - and then, all of a sudden, when some people started to think that the amp was now cool . . . everyone jumped on the band wagon, and started to LOVE the brand.

I liked the original 100W (not the later 120W model) KRANKENSTEIN from day one.

• Members

soilent wrote:

The 5153 just brings the br00tz better. And
in reality, it is what it is- a
more modern 5150
The Peaveys came out in what, 1991? They defined the metal/hard rock sound for two decades
, now it's time the updated version takes over.

Very well said.

THAT is why i prefer my early 90's 5150. It is a rougher/grittier/less refind type of sound.

And i do not play them bruutz.

I use mine for classic rock/hard rock type of tones, think Nashville {censored}, Five Horse Johnson & Texas Hippie Coalation.

I do not like the newer modern metal sounds of today - it is too smooove/gentle/generic sounding to my ears.

YMMV

• 2 months later...

Archived