What gauge strings did Hendrix use?

-=MYK=-

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by carlygtr56

Which performence was that?

It's on a Hot Licks video where they show video of various players, a few minutes each. If Hendrix was sober he would have given much more consistent performances. But soo many bands back then let drugs and booze hinder their performances. Sabbath and Led Zep are a few that come to mind. Could you imagine if Bonham, Ozzy, Zakk, Dime, and Duff formed a band.

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

It's on a Hot Licks video where they show video of various players, a few minutes each. If Hendrix was sober he would have given much more consistent performances. But soo many bands back then let drugs and booze hinder their performances. Sabbath and Led Zep are a few that come to mind. Could you imagine if Bonham, Ozzy, Zakk, Dime, and Duff formed a band.

It was likely Atlanta Pop footage. The Foxy Lady there was a very powerful performence.

He wasn't out of tune......looked pretty sober to me as well.

You claiming he was drunk or high? Tall claim cause you would have no way of knowing. His Atlant Pop show was a good one.

As far as consistant performances........back then, bands didnt tour like they do now. They were shuttled around the country, from one place to another.

I'm a collector. I have ALL known available recorded performances. Like 600 tapes!

Under the circumstances of the era, the touring schedules, etc....Hendrix was very consistant, IMO. I know which shows he played bad, and Atlanta Pop wasn't one of them.

Here's Foxy from Hawaii.....enjoy

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1293450210536556129&q=jimi+hendrix

• Members

Okay first off,anybody here putting down Jimi Hendrix,{censored} you!!You are not fit to wipe his ass,let alone make any judgement calls on whether he came in on time for a part of one of his own tunes or if his lifestyle was affecting his performance.I really can't believe that guitarists here that will never be widely heard or attain any notoriety have the gall to bring up a spotty riff or sagged tuning from this Genius' short but amazing life.Again now,He was James Marshall Hendrix and you are...???

• Members
Originally posted by Purplexi

Okay,he started out with Fender Bullets 10-46 and moved on to Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42.

I didn't think that 9's were available until long after his death?:confused:

Iommi is always bitching about how he wanted light strings, and nobody would make them for him, saying there wasn't a market for it.

My dad was sure happy when 9's came out too. He was playing 11's in standard on a 12-string Ric as a "kid".

• Members
Originally posted by Dark Angel

I didn't think that 9's were available until long after his death?
:confused:

Iommi is always bitching about how he wanted light strings, and nobody would make them for him, saying there wasn't a market for it.

My dad was sure happy when 9's came out too. He was playing 11's in standard on a 12-string Ric as a "kid".

sure they were! Jeff Beck and Page were using '008's back then.

• Members

Okay first off,anybody here putting down Jimi Hendrix,{censored} you!!You are not fit to wipe his ass,let alone make any judgement calls on whether he came in on time for a part of one of his own tunes or if his lifestyle was affecting his performance.I really can't believe that guitarists here that will never be widely heard or attain any notoriety have the gall to bring up a spotty riff or sagged tuning from this Genius' short but amazing life.Again now,He was James Marshall Hendrix and you are...???

wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah:( :( :(

Your point is that he's famous?
i agree he's famous

anything else?

• Members
Originally posted by carlygtr56

It was likely Atlanta Pop footage. The Foxy Lady there was a very powerful performence.

He wasn't out of tune......looked pretty sober to me as well.

You claiming he was drunk or high? Tall claim cause you would have no way of knowing. His Atlant Pop show was a good one.

As far as consistant performances........back then, bands didnt tour like they do now. They were shuttled around the country, from one place to another.

I'm a collector. I have ALL known available recorded performances. Like 600 tapes!

Under the circumstances of the era, the touring schedules, etc....Hendrix was very consistant, IMO. I know which shows he played bad, and Atlanta Pop wasn't one of them.

Here's Foxy from Hawaii.....enjoy

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1293450210536556129&q=jimi+hendrix

Great video! That crowd looks trashed. :D

• Members

Fame isn't really the issue here,admittedly the man has become a virtual Zietgiest to generations but I just found it ludicrous to hear the Hendrix name dragged about on a forum called Amps.His technical and creative accomplishments are on a DaVinci level for electric guitar,recording,signal proccesing and loud rock in general.It's like hearing a bunch of freight company pilots making fun of the first guy that landed on the Moon,Neil Armstrong.Geez you guys Jimi should be allowed a few rough spots,sorry if I spoke up for him too harshly but respect should be shown him straight down the line from all ampsters IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

True dat.

don't knock too hard on Santana. He played some killer geetar way back when.

i dont hold santana in a very high regard, but the only stuff i know of him is samba pa ti (which is absolutely disgusting IMO) and the modern commercial stuff he did and i once saw a half concert of his on tv, but i think he really sucks. He's not extremely popular among guitarists either. He does have his own vibe though! But maybe you know something else of him, less known which may convince me otherwise

• Members

Fame isn't really the issue here,admittedly the man has become a virtual Zietgiest to generations but I just found it ludicrous to hear the Hendrix name dragged about on a forum called Amps.His technical and creative accomplishments are on a DaVinci level for electric guitar,recording,signal proccesing and loud rock in general.It's like hearing a bunch of freight company pilots making fun of the first guy that landed on the Moon,Neil Armstrong.Geez you guys Jimi should be allowed a few rough spots,sorry if I spoke up for him too harshly but respect should be shown him straight down the line from all ampsters IMO.

preach zeitgeist all you want, but how the {censored} does that render my opinion invalid? You brought up fame, not me.

Just because you place Him on a pedestal, doesnt mean his brain-fried ass wasn't playing like {censored} and out of tune. Because I play guitar, I should bow down and worship Hendrix by default? no thanks.

• Members
Originally posted by Rockys Mob

preach zeitgeist all you want, but how the {censored} does that render my opinion invalid? You brought up fame, not me.

Just because you place Him on a pedestal, doesnt mean his brain-fried ass wasn't playing like {censored} and out of tune. Because I play guitar, I should bow down and worship Hendrix by default? no thanks.

Hendrix's legacy is what it is.
Whether you like him or not doesn't matter. He's had more influence over rock/jazz/blues musicians in the last 40 years.

His "brain fried ass"? How old are you?

Where is he playing like {censored} and out of tune? Point me to the show.

Who's asking you to worship anybody?
The guy who started the thread was asking about string gauge...something you obviously have no clue about, so why even post?:wave:

Archived