An easy spray solution???

uitar9

• Members

Hi all,

For some reason, two of my guitars (I haven't been using them for months) have started to exhibit a crackling noise when using the volume or tone controls.

Is there a safe and easy spray solution one can use (without tearing them apart) to clean or is it more difficult than that

Thanks

• Members

You can get contact cleaner at your local Radio Shack. But you'll need to access the backside of the pots to spray in the pothole. And you'll need to turn the pots while cleaning. Not a problem with a Gibson or Tele type arrangement. A little problem with a Strat. Big problem with a hollowbody electric unless you have long skinny fingers. Hollowbody you might as well replace the pots while you're at it.

• Members

If they became noisy just because they haven't been played in a while then you might be able to quiet them down by exercising them. Just cycle them back and forth while listening in your amp. The crackling will gradually get quieter until it's gone. This is because the wiper of the pot is scraping the and and residue from the resistive element. You should turn them fairly quickly.

If exercising them doesn't help then you'll have to use contact cleaner. However, in my experience, if exercising them doesn't make any difference at all then the pots are likely not just dirty - they're worn out, and need replacing. Anyway, it never hurts to try to clean them first.

Be careful with contact cleaner. Some solvent compositions don't play nice with some guitar finishes. I once saw a pickguard on an entry level import guitar severely melted by a rather popular (and expensive) contact cleaner. Most cleaning solvents will also dissolve polystyrene caps, but it's highly unlikely you have one of these in your guitar.

If possible, remove the pots from the pickguard, and put a rag behind them when you spray. There's usually a small slot or hole in the can on the back of the pot you can spray into. Be sure to exercise the pot shaft while you're cleaning it to ensure that isn't sitting on top of some dirt. Let them air dry completely before reassembling the guitar.

• Members

Amp surgeon is right about working them and see if you can work it out first. Moisture, old libricant, oxidation and dirt particles can all be worked looses with a littel twisting back and forth in some cases.

With dry pots (Not ones filled with grease) If you do spray them I would opt for a lubricating cleaner thet is designed for pots vs an alcohol based zero residue cleaner.

With no lubricant, the contact wear on the carbon and can make the problem much worse.

With the lubricating spray you can usually go a lot longer before you need replace them. Lubricant tends to reseat some of the carbon powder temporarily and prevent crackeling. After that, replacement is needed (unless you know how to retrack the slider contact by taking them appart which I've done a few times because they were oddball pots or something)

• Members

I've had sucess with the radio shack stuff, but it doesn't have a lube. Would a LIGHT shot of WD40 after cleaning work or is that a bad idea? I have a pot on an old amp that is sticky & the contact cleaner stopped the crackle but not the stick.

• Members

Pots packed with petroleum concuctive grease will become stickey with alcohol based cleaner or WD 40. You need to liquify the petroleum grease with a light machine oil which is petroleum grease to get rid of the stickeyness.

You can use WD 40 for a temporary fix in Dry pots and it will prevent scratcheyness in high humidity conditions. WD40 is a moisture preventer that displaces moisture. I use it on several of my guitars here in houston because the humidity gets so high here in Houston and it works quite well, but its not a cleaner or a lube.

• Members

I've had sucess with the radio shack stuff, but it doesn't have a lube. Would a LIGHT shot of WD40 after cleaning work or is that a bad idea? I have a pot on an old amp that is sticky & the contact cleaner stopped the crackle but not the stick.

Radio Shack does carry a cleaner with lubricant. I just bought a new can recently. They may have been out when you went or the sales guy directed you to the wrong stuff.

Archived