Have I gone too far?

Belva

• Members

This is a hardtail conversion from a previous post. I couldn't decide which color blue to use so I used all three. I haven't clear coated yet so it can be redone easily. Whatcha think? BTW I put the blues right over the primer. All Duplicolor top coats

• Members

I haven't cleared yet. That'll bring some gloss. Ordered a neck from USACG. Tommy at USACG saw pics & says it has the bowling ball thing going. Maybe I'll name it Brunswick. Where to put the finger holes...........

• Members

Hey, I have some vintage Armstrong floor tile with just that pattern! Just kidding of course. I think it's pretty cool myself and it gets double style points because you did it and it's custom! The most important thing is, how do you like it? Nice work!

• Members

Nice! Looks like a piece of blue volcanic rock. How did you get the speckling effect?

I used a paint sponge I found at the local hardware store. I've been following the threads here & asking questions of fellow HC'ers. The pickguard is formica. Once again, HC! You might say this is created by the HC DIY forum. Can't wait to get my neck & get it together.

• Members

I used a paint sponge I found at the local hardware store. I've been following the threads here & asking questions of fellow HC'ers. The pickguard is formica. Once again, HC! You might say this is created by the HC DIY forum. Can't wait to get my neck & get it together.

Wow, very cool. Did you have trouble with the sponge leaving a texture (physical not visual), or was that part of the intended design? If there is a texture, do you need to sand it smooth before you clear coat? I love to see that in person once it's clear coated. That should really make it "pop".

PS. Sorry if I missed these details in another thread.

• Members

Since I used rattle can paint there wasn't much texture. I've wet sanded with 1500 grit & took some of texture out. The rest will go away with the clear (several thin coats) & judicious use of 1500. I have satin clear in stock, so I might use that. The neck from USA Custom Guitars took alot of my budget & I'm a cheap b@$t@%d.

• Members

Nah, it would be hard for you to go too far :poke:

My first thought was that it reminded me of old industrial floor tiles, like the stuff they used in buildings built in the 50s and 60s. I also thought bowling ball, again from the 60s. My father had a bowling ball from around then that looks similar. It's hard to tell from the pics, but from what I can see, it really does look that way.

I think you took a chance and came up with a winner. :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to call it Brunswick. Many people have said it looks like a sixties bowling ball. Now I need my neck. GAS is getting severe! i think Kat's avatar sums it up. Must be the voices......

• Members

I haven't recieved the neck from USACG yet. I ordered a 24&3/4" scale conversion neck. By the time I got what I want profile, woods, radius & all else wise it was alot less then Warmoth because of the big W's upcharges. I'll update when I get it. I did decide to go satin nitro clear. I had almost 2 cans from Reranch left over from the Hamer refinish. Now it has to sit for 2 weeks after following the rule of threes for application. Then I'll use 1000, 1500 & 2000 grit wet sand & polishing compound.

Archived