The Garage Sale Find Thread

David E H

• Members

It's garage sale season guys, and I'm sure we've all found some sort of DIY junk to call our own.....so let's show off what is now cluttering our houses and see if we have anything cool.

I'll start: Today I picked up a Lafayette Explorer-Air Mark V for $5. Some sort of short wave tube radio. It works alright without antenna and it's got a 4" alnico speaker and a nice looking transformer. As far as I know, it's of very little collector value, so this might turn into some sort of preamp thing....though it powers a 6AQ5, which is supposed to be similar to a 6v6. Does anyone know how I could find the power transformer winding values? Anyways....pics(I took the cover off):

DSC00668.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

And then I found some cool looking speakers that probably came standard with a 60's record player. They were only $3, so I figured why not? I'll be having my own yard sale in a few weeks anyways. I haven't been able to test them with a stereo yet though. Pic:

DSC00670.jpg

What have you guys found?

• Members

nice!

I got two huge Linear Phase (JCPenny) 3-way speakers and a nice old Kenwood SS amp for $5 + $2 for my son to torture me (and the neighbors)with deafening techno mixes... also a PV Bravo with a bad fuse for $50

Also an old Heathkit SP-2 EL84 amp for $10...too bad all the nice Telefunkin tubes we sold out of it before I got there

• Members

Wow, very nice finds. I hate it when the sellers let people buy the tubes out of the amps. Then you can't even test the amp to see if it works.....Most of the sales I went to today were just clothes and toys and stuff. Not a whole lot of interesting things. And the thrift stores have been really boring the last couple of months as well.

• Members

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/bapix/ExplrAir.htm

PT winding values.. not sure, but you can add up what you have for starters. 6.3 volt tubes with a combined pull of (.45 + .3 +.3 + .3 = 1.35A) and recommended max wattage B+ of 250 on most tubes, except the 6be6 which is 330. You could measure these in action with a meter, carefully of course. The 6aq5 is S/E, at a max of 5 watts. From there you could build a nice S/E amp, with three pre-amp stages if you wanted. Cheers

• Members

PT winding values.. not sure, but you can add up what you have for starters. 6.3 volt tubes with a combined pull of (.45 + .3 +.3 + .3 = 1.35A) and recommended max wattage B+ of 250 on most tubes, except the 6be6 which is 330. You could measure these in action with a meter, carefully of course. The 6aq5 is S/E, at a max of 5 watts. From there you could build a nice S/E amp, with three pre-amp stages if you wanted. Cheers

Thank you sir.

• Members

Recent precision electronics PA head with 7868's & 6eu7 pre tubes. 5 bucks. Had a preamp tube socket pin loose. Tightened it up, works fine. It has 1/4" jacks where the mic inputs are. Hooked it up to an 8 ohm cab & plugged in a guitar. Phucker wails. I'll post pics when I get a proper speaker cab completed. And a cab for the amp head too.

• Members

Recent precision electronics PA head with 7868's & 6eu7 pre tubes. 5 bucks. Had a preamp tube socket pin loose. Tightened it up, works fine. It has 1/4" jacks where the mic inputs are. Hooked it up to an 8 ohm cab & plugged in a guitar. Phucker wails. I'll post pics when I get a proper speaker cab completed. And a cab for the amp head too.

Awesome....how many watts for 7868's? I haven't seen those before. And $5...nice!

• Members

I think it's around 35 to 40 watts. I know it blew up an organ speaker rated at around 20 watts in fairly short order. Also it's a master volume amp. Nearest comparison would be a Bogen CHB35 or similiar.

• Members

I recently picked up about 2/3 of the bottom row at a garage sale for $20. When I got them home I started looking through them and found one cover that had been "scribbled" on the back. I thought "why would someone ruin an album cover by scribbling all over the back. I looked a bit closer and realized that what I had were autographs of a bunch of long deceased famous New Orleans jazz guys.

113223010.jpg

113736850.jpg

113736851.jpg

• Members

I haven't had a problem with the side labels wearing off, so I keep the ones that are "good" in alphabetical order. The ones that I got at the garage sale were mostly classical, with a bit of New Orleans Jazz thrown in. I'm not a classical fan, probably due to lack of exposure, so they are in no particular order. I should probably listen to some of them, or at least put them on Ebay. ;)

• Members

Very nice.....my record collection is probably only 25% of yours.....but how do you keep track of where individual ones are? The side labels always wear off. Just memorize?

Plastic jackets. It's been years since I bought any, but that's what I used to cover about half my vinyl collection. They're made specifically for albums, out of a type of plastic that doesn't stick, gas or anything like that. In other words, preserves the records, not just covers them. I would bet that you could find them in bulk on eBay. I have a few rarities in my collection, but nothing like some old New Orleans stuff signed by people who probably never "made it" because of their skin colour. That, my friends, is historical stuff.

• Members

Sometimes I'm helpful. :p

This auction for 100 sleeves seems to be a pretty good bargain. Acid free poly, etc etc.

If you have some old 7" 45s around you want plastic outer sleeves for (or to check out other auctions and store listings for the 12" ones, copypasta this into the search box on eBay:

(clear,plastic) (LP,record,album) (bags,covers,sleeves,jackets) -coin -post*

I know it's a lot of crap in there, but there's a reason to the madness. If you want to include the paper inserts, because those wear out too, use this:

(paper,clear) (LP,record,album) (bags,covers,sleeves,jackets) -coin -post*

If you're curious about the format of the search terms, feel free to ask and I'll explain. =)

• Members

I'll probably order a batch of those jackets. It's a good idea to protect the records, not only from handling, but the environment also. My problem with the jackets in the past has been that if all the records aren't in jackets it makes it hard to get to the records that are not jacketed. So, if I order enough for one box of records at a time I should be ok. Much of my record collection has only been played a few times. Of course, college roommates did get hold of them a few times though. I had a reel to reel deck that I used to record records on their first play back in the old days, so the records are generally pretty much mint. Of course, the tapes, many from the early-mid '70's aren't in such great shape anymore, so I am gradually digitizing the collection on an external hard drive.

• Members

Yesterday I snagged a Dayton 20" standing fan. Adjustable height, tilts, caster rollers on base to tilt back and move. Only problem is the knob is missing, and one caster is shot, but that's a $3 fix, if it's even that pricey.

This thing MOOOVES air. It's not a fan, it's a wind machine! I'll never complain about paintstripper fumes again!

• Members

Damn. No good garage sailing territory around here. People put out crap and expect high dollar for it. Anything worth even looking at has already been put up on eBay, also for more than it's worth. IF anything around is worth getting, there always are the people who camp out starting at around 4am to get first grabs. Those are the eBay sellers and many of them will start grabbing {censored} as people carry it out. Some will offer to help only to be able to grab {censored} they want.

Assholes. It used to be mostly nice people and the closest anyone ever came to argument was gay guys trying to buy the same antiques. Thanks a lot, eBay.

• Members

That record collection is the first real good deal I have ever found at a garage sale. Most of the time they're usually selling what I consider to be junk, but, who knows, maybe it's all valuable stuff to the right person. Vero Beach has frequent estate sales also, so that's something to watch for. The records actually came from a house closing sale. The owners had moved to an assisted living facility and the contents of their house were being sold at a "Tag Sale". I didn't need any tags, but notice the sale when I was driving by and decided to stop in. When I got inside I realized they weren't really selling "tags", but that everything in the house had a price tag on it. The records were sitting in stacks in the corner of a room with no "tags" so I asked if they were for sale also. The response was "Make me an offer". I said there wasn't much I was interested in but would take the lot for $20. They said "Sold". I live about 6 blocks away and had to make two trips.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

No recent DIY finds, but in the 80's I picked up a Webster wire recorder with a broken on/off switch for $15 and a knock off EB3 bass with a broken volume pot for $5. The ex has the Webster :( but I still have a working EB3 knock off. :)

• Members

No recent DIY finds, but in the 80's I picked up a Webster wire recorder with a broken on/off switch for $15 and a knock off EB3 bass with a broken volume pot for $5. The ex has the Webster
:(
but I still have a working EB3 knock off.
:)

what brand is the EB3 knock off? I love old Asian knock off guitars.

Archived