How hard is it....

Blackhell

• Members

To repair, set-up, and build guitars? I wondering, because there's nobody in this county that does tech work. First, how hard is it to learn to solder, and learn how to do set-up? This would save me a ton of money. Then if I get pickups or something like that I can install them myself, and not pay some dude $40 a pickup to install them. I've always wanted to buy a body and neck from Stew-Mac or Warmoth and build my own dream guitars that would cost $6000 for a big name company to build for me.

• Members

Pickup installation is extremely easy. I'm surprized someone would charge even $10 for a complete job, let alone $40 for each pickup. I never 'learned' how to do it either. I just opened up the guitar and looked inside and it was easy to figure out. As for soldering, just do it with common sense. You're just melting metal. Remember where the old wires went (and which pickup went where), and put the new pickups in just like the old ones came out.

It's closer to hot gluing than, say, welding...and it's just a hair harder than changing strings. Don't let people rip you off on such an easy thing.

• Members

^ yeah- very easy-

try a pup swap- there is TONS of info and resources online to help you if you get confused about it (bet you won't)- and if it's your fist time trying something like that, it's a good confidence booster that will make you want to do other things like pots and switches...soon, you'll be building your own pedals through kits and stuff :thu:

• Members

You can do it.

Couple of suggestions: buy Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide.

Then go on Craig's List and buy a castoff Squier Stratocaster or Starcaster, some Strat copy.

Take it all apart and put it back together a few times. Get it playing great.

Maybe do it with a couple different cheapo Strat clones, depending on how cheap they go for around where you are. In my area, I sometimes see them for under $50.

Then you'll be in a better position to order your dream neck and body from Warmoth or whoever.

But do go for it! It's very fun and gratifying.

• Members

You can do it.

Couple of suggestions: buy Dan Erlewine's
Guitar Player Repair Guide

Then go on Craig's List and buy a castoff Squier Stratocaster or Starcaster, some Strat copy.

Take it all apart and put it back together a few times. Get it playing great.

Maybe do it with a couple different cheapo Strat clones, depending on how cheap they go for around where you are. In my area, I sometimes see them for under $50.

Then you'll be in a better position to order your dream neck and body from Warmoth or whoever.

But do go for it! It's very fun and gratifying.

:thu::thu::thu:and:thu:

• Members

If you've never solderd before the main rules are.

1. Heatsink the part of the component you dont want damaged by the heat. Thos can be done with hemostats on say the leg oc a pot of switch close to the component away from the connection. This prevents damage to the component when its heated.

2. Use electronics grade, 60/40 rosin core solder.

3. Tin the end of the soldering iron with fresh solder wipe off excess with a damp rag so the tip is nice and silver.

4. Apply heat to the connection first and make sure its hot.

5. Apply the solder to the heated connection and dont flood it with a big glob. If done right it will be silver looking and flows over the wire and connector smoothly.

Archived