soldering

Capricorn

• Members

Are there any other methods for joining metals besides soldering (for guitar purposes)?

If it's just joining stranded wires they could be twisted together and taped (that's how my last car deck was installed) but if you need to attach wires to any chassis parts like a pot casing or terminal....soldering is the only way and by the time you'd find some magic product like a fancy bonding adhesive or something, a cheap soldering iron would cost the same (and work properly). Less than $10.

• Members

Twist & tape? NO! For joining wires together the best, and only method allowed on airplanes, is crimp style connectors. Also, ring terminals are the best for hooking to a chassis lug and the like. I prefer to use un-insulated & cover them with heat shrink. For hooking to pots, etc, Druxar is correct. Don't

phuck around. get a soldering iron & got to it.

• Members

Although I'm assuming he doesn't require military spec connectivity for a guitar. Twisting is good enough for household electrical junction boxes. I guess the point was if he's trying to avoid soldering and only needs to join a few wire ends he can try twisting but if he needs something more than that, get the iron.

• Members

Although I'm assuming he doesn't require military spec connectivity for a guitar. Twisting is good enough for household electrical junction boxes.

120V and low current guitar wiring are pretty different animals though. A little bit of corrosion on a twisted wire joint can spell big trouble in a guitar.

• Members

120V and low current guitar wiring are pretty different animals though. A little bit of corrosion on a twisted wire joint can spell big trouble in a guitar.

Yeah I guess there isn't much wetting current there and he doesn't have gold wires...

• Members

Very true. I have used wire nuts in footswitches with good luck. I have an old tuna can f/s I made some 30 years ago that I pull out just to see if it still works. One of my first DIY projects and I couldn't solder my way out of a paper bag! Even used a solderless 1/4" jack at the other end. And those are good to keep for spares when your gigging & don't have the time or place to fix and end the right way.

• Members

While there are ways to work around it some times, soldering is really not that tough to master, and is a really valuable skill for anyone who plays amplified music to have. It takes a little practice to get smooth with it, but, once you do, you're set.

Archived