EVM 12L Series II and JBL E-120's

thinderik

• Members

I bought 4 "home made monitors" from this dude for $80 bucks a few months ago. They were ugly and heavy as sin but I thought for the price how could I go wrong.

Any how I get home and take them apart and find that in the boxes are 2 EVM 12L's and 2 JBL E-120's. Now the magnets and core parts of these speakers are in awesome condition, however the cones and stuff are ugly and look a little mal-nurished.

Anyways my question...

1) I've called around and there is a shop that will apparently RE-cone these bad boys for $100 bucks a piece. Is it worth it to recone them and sell them?

2) I have a fender twin with blue label speakers in it. I've heard good things about the jbl's and evm's. Should I swap out my 12's in the TR?

Any insight, tips, or words from the wise are greatly appreciated.

• Members

I can't speak for the JBLs, but the EVs in a Twin will insure that it doesn't ever break up. One of my friends used to have a `74 loaded with EVs. You could run anything into that amp, and crank it with no fear. Are you sure the EVs need to be reconed? The 12Ls are extremely durable.

Great score, btw.

• Moderators

I have a fender twin with blue label speakers in it. I've heard good things about the jbl's and evm's. Should I swap out my 12's in the TR?

Any insight, tips, or words from the wise are greatly appreciated.

I don't understand this kind of question. You have the Twin Reverb. You have the JBLs and the EVs. Change out the drivers and see which sounds best. This will give you a better answer than anything anyone else could possibly tell you.

Then post your results here, and tell us how each sounds, which is better (for you) and why.

• Members

I was asking if i should swap out the speakers in the TR because i didnt know if it would be a marked improvement over the speakers that it came with.

Also before i pay 100 bucks a speaker to re-cone it i'd like to know which one would might be better, thats all.

• Moderators

And you won't know if there will be a marked improvement until you try it for yourself. The best you'll short of that is get someone else's opinion as to whether or not there will be a marked improvement.

Different drivers do sound different, but different isn't necessarily better. At a guess, I'd say that both the EVs and the JBLs are "better" drivers than what's in there now, but that doesn't mean that you'll like them better, or that their sound will work for what you play. The only way to be sure is to try it.

Looking at the picture of the EV cone, I'd say it's just dirty. I had a JBL D140 with a dirty cone. I gave it a gentle wipe down with a damp cloth. Didn't change the sound at all, but it did make it look better. Judging strictly from my experience and that photo, I'd say it's not likely that re-coning will gain you anything. Other opinions may differ.

• Members

Both the Evs or JBls may have a higher brighter output then stock fender speakers. The question is is that what you want. If you use the amp cranked to get tube, transformer and speaker saturation at a nice midrange, then fender has pretty much written the book on that tone.

If you use footpedals to get your tone and use the amp moderately, then you might very well benifit from the higher quality EVs or JBLs.

The thing you need to realise though, PA components often have a different frequency responce in comparison to guitar speakers. The paper and cones are often heavier too to handel the higher wattage.

A typical guitar speaker has a responce that is good from about 100hz to 5K or so then it rolls off steeply. PA speakers use horns or tweeters for the high end and use a crossover anywheres from 3~5k. The woofers are designed to pump bass and some lower mids. The horns do the rest. Since the speakers dont need to produce a full range, they beef them up for higher power instead.

Putting PA speakers in a guitar cab can significantly cause you to loose touch responce and make it sound too muddy. But it may be fine depending on the speaker model and specs. I'd go to the MFG site and check the frequency responce curve and compare it to what you have. Also check the SPL levels of the two. If the SPL levels are higher the speakers will be louder.

Again, louder isnt always better. The quickest way to know how they will sound is to do as our moderator Issac42 suggested, just swap them out and see what you get. Maybe do one and keep a stock speaker there so you can compare the two.

• Members

Do they scratch or not?

If they don't scratch and don't have visible damage then don't recone.

12Ls give you a very clean guitar sound, loud, powerful and smooth. E120s generally aren't good for guitar, they are very harsh and cold.

• Members

I should have taken a picture of the outer ring on the one. It's transparent on some spots. No scratching though. Like was mentioned before I should really try them out see if i like em.

I use alot of pedals and do not want anything to bright and harsh.

• Members

your speakers in your fender are good im sure, if you want something better I dont really think your evm will be way better and the jbl e120 are not supposed to be better than evm but if you had an original not reconed jbl d120f it could be better than your fender speakers... I agree with others those said with pedals effects you can use a neutral speaker, for a special voicing from the combo changing the speakers for these models it will not be awesome. If you want to test it maybe you will appreciate the taste :p

Archived