thru neck blanks

dDigitalPimp

• Members

i am helping my friend build an thru neck electric guitar. i am trying to find sites that have a thru neck blank such as this one from carvin:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/necks/index.php?model=nt6

i also found what looks like that same exact neck from stew mac online as well.

does anyone know of any other sites out there that sell these necks?

thanks in advance :thu:

• Members

Im thinking about ordering a BC Rich neck through these guys because they are impossible to find...They have neckthru blanks too!

Ed Roman, Las Vegas.

wow they are nice but dang they cost more than he is likely to spend on the rest of his guitar.

if i ever get to las vegas again i gotta check this place out.

• Members

wow they are nice but dang they cost more than he is likely to spend on the rest of his guitar.

if i ever get to las vegas again i gotta check this place out.

Before you run off to Vegas, do a web search using his name. You can do a search on this board (and other musicians' boards) as well, but I'll warn you, finding a sincere, positive comment about the guy is more difficult than building your own guitar from a tree, using just a hammer.

• Members

I want a pretty crazy fretboard (thick roman numerals) with binding. I like the personalization that the soulmate guy offers, but I imagine getting this part done would be a helluva lot cheaper with a CNC machine. Can I do both? And where? Where could I get a guy to CNC the fretboard and inlays on the cheap, to ship to soulmate guy?

• Members

Before you run off to Vegas, do a web search using his name. You can do a search on this board (and other musicians' boards) as well, but I'll warn you, finding a sincere, positive comment about the guy is more difficult than building your own guitar from a tree, using just a hammer.

Did you have a negative experience with Ed Roman? I would like to hear about it.

I have read so much Ed bashing but have never heard a first hand account of mistreatment. I am not a fanboy of Ed Roman and I will not defend him. I will say that my limited dealings with the man have been nothing positive. He was helpful and informative. I ordered an Ed Roman Baker guitar and asked for a very plain blue guitar and he priced it accordingly. What I received was a very nice quilted maple top guitar.

I am not trying to start an argument. I am trying to share some actual first hand experience with Ed Roman. Take it or leave it.

• Members

Ed has a positive cash flow (ie making more money than he spends) and has thus "taken advantage" of some people (customers or employees) which is a requirement to be a successful Las Vegas businessman. He is also personally invested in the music subculture...has Sam Ash ever dissed someone on the Interwebs? No I didn't think so. So Ed has a face, and an opinion, and a successful business which strongly engenders jealousy. He does not apparently have "god given" qualities, like guitar chops and/or great physical beauty (cough...John Mayer...cough) so few will defend him in public.

I'd have to say he's a net positive...made a lot of OK guitars...some silly ones like my avatar... and is committed to the music subculture, with him, naturally, near the top. Negative sounds tend to echo in public, but positive ones don't propagate very far.

He also really likes Michael Schenker and has supported him through some very dark times!

• Members

Cool, but what the heck does that guitar in your avatar do, tedmich?

Ed was trying to sell that guitar a few years ago for somewhere around $12,000.

It belonged to the guitarist of Stabbing Westward. It is an extreme example of what his shop is capable of producing. I never saw an example of what it is capable of doing except at a distance from the stage at an outdoor concert. The guitar lit up IIRC. It wasn't quite dark at the time and as a result was not very spectacular.

• Members

Macelind, I have read accounts of people having positive meetings/purchases with the guy. I also have read far too many accounts of how he treats other people, and have read enough of his rants to know that I would never deal with the guy because he's a total douche. If he was that great, he wouldn't have to constantly put other dealers down.

• Members

Ed was trying to sell that guitar a few years ago for somewhere around $12,000.

It belonged to the guitarist of Stabbing Westward. It is an extreme example of what his shop is capable of producing. I never saw an example of what it is capable of doing except at a distance from the stage at an outdoor concert. The guitar lit up IIRC. It wasn't quite dark at the time and as a result was not very spectacular.

thanks for the info! I use it cause I consider it to be a farce; a 1950 design guitar filled with a poorly designed light show. Its emblematic of the lack of true innovation in the industry IMO; a '53 T Bird with a CF hood... silly

Archived