Custom Strat Project - Neck & Pocket Question....????

21rush12

• Members

Good Evening:)

I just won a Fender Strat body on eBay and have a few questions before purchasing a neck, I've never built a guitar up before so just want to make sure I'm doing everything right, the body can be seen in the link before:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230400898030&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

As the listing shows the neck pocket is a 2 3/16" (56mm) wide and I've found out its approx 16.5-17mm deep. I want to put a 22 fret neck on this body and wandered what I should be looking for as the 22 fret necks seem to have the fretboard over run the end of the neck, is this the usual case? I s this so that you still get the same scale length between the nut and saddles for both 21 & 22 fret necks...?

Any help would be much appreciated and if anyone knows of anyone in the UK who's a good supplier of decent necks that would do the job...:thu:

Cheers

Johnny

• Members

Well I have some strat necks that run with the overhang and I have some that dont. Its important which the guitar will need because you only have so much adjustment lengthe on the saddels once the bridge is properly mounted.

If I were to guess you might want the overhung fret which is pretty much a fender neck, but this will depend on who you get the neck from. Imports like Squiers use a neck that isnt overhung on some of their strats, but to be idealy correct it would be easier to have the bridge in place first then compare the measurements to the pocket edge on the two instruments.

If you want, I can measure the distance on the two types so you can have a ballpark idea between the two. If you buy the bridge first and just set it in the pocket unmounted then measure, you'll know if the placement will work with either neck.

• Members

Hiya WRGKMC

That would be really useful thanks.:thu: Is the measurement from the actual point where the strings rest on the saddle to the pocket edge....?

I suppose the bridge is another issue, I was thinking of going the tremolo type that Fender put on the more modern Strats like the Deluxe, Lonestar & Big Apple, think they have the block type saddles, but whether I go for the two post type with a knife edge or the type that screw down and rest on the body with the 'V' on the underside......:confused:.

Maybe purchasing different parts to compare before drilling holes would be the way to go as I could just sell the bits I don't use...???

Thanks again

Johnny

• Members

I'd avoid buying & selling parts unless you hit the used market. You stand to lose money buying new parts & reselling them. Even if they aren't used. Is this your first build? If so, ask a bunch of questions. I've learned so much around this joint just from paying attention. As far as trem type it is basically personal preference. I prefer 2 pt. trems when I use them. I don't own a trem guitar & want to keep it that way.

• Members

OK heres the poop.

I measured the distance from the pocket edge to the saddel of the high E string on 7 guitars and they all measure the same, 7" from the saddel or 7.25" to the apex of the saddel where the string rests. The top fret on the necks that overhang sits directly over the neck pocket edge so that can be used as a guide in all cases with a 25.5" neck. The one neck I had that didnt have an overlap didnt make enough difference to warrant any worry.

By the way, My tele builds measured the same, they just didnt have the extra frets and used a round pocket vs square.

So I'd say any fender scale neck should work with the overhang. The only thing to note is to be sure the overhang clears the pickgiard before wanging the neck down. i cracked that overhang on an old guitar once because of a thick pickgiard and deep pocket before and had to shim the pocket to fit it right.

• Members

Wonderfull, thanks very much for those sizes, I'll get those checked as soon as I can. Should have a bridge and neck in a couple of weeks, these are the necks I'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300356743599&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300356744483&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

.....both overhang and are specced as a Fender replacement, just need to decide whether to go for the Birdseye Maple or the normal maple, the normal one does have the jumbo frets and is a few dollars less so looks more favourable. Will update with a good photo and more details once the body arrives....

Cheers

Johnny

• Members

Pretty pricey for an Ebay buy. Last two Tele necks I got I paid $25.

Trick is to know what you want and just keep looking every day and only bid within your range. It takes longer I know but you got to catch them when the deals run out at odd times when noone else would be bidding. If a bid runs out on the weekend forget it. Too many bidders on line. A monday night late in the month when noone has any cash to bid, you can nail some great buys.

Mighty mites arent bad, but you should be able to nail those for less than $50. It comes down to if you have the patience to wait.

Like I said I got a tele neck and cant decide if I'll build a body from scratch or go from a blank of decent wood. Getting out the tools and routeing and cutting and all sucks, but you can do it your own way. Going from a blank, you dont have to cut but you're stuck with what you get for hardware and all. For what you invest in building a tele, you can buy an affinity new and they play great.

• Members

I have the patience I think, we'll see how I go. I'm adamant that its to be jumbo frets, 22 of them and a rosewood fretboard and I'd prefer if its never been fitted before...............

My "search" on this site doesn't seem to be finding anything, maybe its an issue with my laptop. Do you know if anyone on here does decals, would love something in the Fender type font....?

Cheers

• Members

Check out GFS. They have tele & strat necks for 40 bucks + shipping. I've heard they're great necks. You can also get these unfinished with a paddle headstock for about ten bucks less. Lets see, save ten bucks & spend that amount on satin poly. Cut the headstock to shape. Sand my ass off. Wait 3 days for the poly to dry. Or order it already finished. No brainer for me. I'm considering this as the guy I sold my last tele to says he broke the neck & wants me to take it off his hands. I haven't seen the damage yet.

• Members

Check out GFS. They have tele & strat necks for 40 bucks + shipping. I've heard they're great necks. You can also get these unfinished with a paddle headstock for about ten bucks less. Lets see, save ten bucks & spend that amount on satin poly. Cut the headstock to shape. Sand my ass off. Wait 3 days for the poly to dry. Or order it already finished. No brainer for me. I'm considering this as the guy I sold my last tele to says he broke the neck & wants me to take it off his hands. I haven't seen the damage yet.

They look perfect, only thing is they don't seem to do a 22 fret neck.....:facepalm:

Thanks anyway as I'd never heard of these guys before, seem to have some good gear on their website at very affordable prices....

Cheers

Archived