Amp project!

mikelitzguitar

• Members

I bought a Peavey vypyr 75 watt combo amp about a month ago. I like it a lot but the speaker isn't that great and I wanted to play on a 4x12 cab or something. So I added a 1/4" jack to the back of the amp, that allows the amp to act as a head for a cab when a cab is plugged in. When a cab is not plugged in, the sound comes through the combo speaker like normal. It's pretty cool and works great!

Also recently, my Line 6 Spider III died on me (which lead me to buy a vypyr in the first place). Today I decided to take the fried amp head out of the spider combo amp, and re-wire the speakers to a 1/4" input jack that allows the combo to become an open backed 1x12 cab. It has a Celestion speaker in it (lower end of course) that has much better tones for playing distorted in my opinion than the blue marvel speaker in the peavey.

I was kind of wondering if I should leave the spider iii "cab" open in the back and in a small section of the front where the head sat, or If it would improve the tone or be beneficial to close both of the sections with plywood?

• Members

Is your vypyr a 112? If so, why not just put your Line 6 speaker in the vypyr cab and be done with it? I do like the sound of the Celestion speakers in the Line 6 amps. I have one paired with a Jensen Mod 10 50 in an open backed cab. Laugh if you wish. It's a match that works well!

• Members

Well the cleans seem to sound better on the peavey, and the gains sound better through the celestion. I wired the peavey that way so eventually I can play it through a 412.

The way I did it It either plays through the combo speaker or the cab speaker... is there a way to set it up so that when a cab is plugged in it plays through both the combo speaker and the cab speaker?

• Members

I believe the Vypyr is a tube amp? You will run into impedance mismatch problems if you set it up that way. Solid state amps pose less of a problem if you run, say 8 ohms with one speaker and 4 ohms when plugged into 2 parallel 8 ohm cabs. If you have an output transformer that can be switched between different loads your golden. I don't know anything about these Vypyrs.

Archived