Converting combo amp to head. Any gotchas?

ZombieCat

• Members

I drilled new holes for the tubes and transformers. All the stuff you see on top in my build were not there originally.

Ah ok. Sorry, my mistake. Looks like you did a great job on that conversion. Any tips on relocating those components? Did you run into any issues along the way? Any issues with wire dressing and noise?

• Members

Mine all went pretty smooth. Definantly messure everything and make sure it will work first. Mark everything and lay it out to make sure it will all fit. Other than that good luck. Keep us posted too... Would love to see it when done.

You mean plan ahead? That's no fun!

• Members

Sorry I didn't read everything so if this is redundant or useless info I'm sorry. I converted my blue's Jr into a head which is setup the same way with the tubes hanging down and it was a piece of cake. I just drilled a few hole's on top and moved some stuff. Turned out awesome. I need to work on tolexing though.

IMG_0167.jpg

Nice job man :thu:

• 3 months later...
  • Members

SDRS - Excellent head conversion on the Blues Jr! Bill M did the same thing and has some instructions on his website.

http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bjr/bjrhead/bjrhead.htm

Any issues with the reverb tank being mounted upside down from the ceiling of the head cab?

And yes, the Blues and HotRod amps are ALL that exact same (unfortunate) configuration. The key differences as it relates to this project would be the tube size (the FBJ runs EL84's and it's bigger cousins run 6L6's, and the tranny sizes which are undoubtedly much smaller in the FBJ). This may mean that there's just not enough room to drill the back (to be top) of a FBD or HRD chassis to stick the tubes through. The conversion has been done, but it's quite rare, it's not well documented, and it looks potentially more involved than the FBJ conversion. Here's one I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmXmo2UptiE

Archived