Martin D-28 vs Taylor 810

rockafeller

• Members

I'm torn between these two. I can't make up my mind. I've been seconds away from buying both of these but I just can't decide. Here is what I want in an acoustic:

1. Something I can keep forever

2. Relatively fast action

3. Extremely good tone for recording in a studio environment

4. used for various genres (alternative, rock, pop, hip hop, rap, electronica, new folk... but absolutely no country or bluegrass type stuff)

5. Very playable for everyday screwin' around and writing

6. I don't like very bright acoustics and I don't like very muddy bassy ones either but I tend to favor the bassy side more so than the bright.

7. Sweet sustain

I've played alot of gutars over the past few weeks and these two stood out. I'm not a great guitar player and these two would probably be overkill if it were just for me, but I plan on using this for studio work when producing other artists so it's gotta sound great when recorded. I've been a Martin fan for a long time and the guitar players in my family have always chose Martin, but I played that 810 that blew me away so now I'm torn. I really like both. Can anyone offer some insight that will help me choose. Thanks

• Members

See thats the problem... I really used to be into just the Martin tone... bassy D-28, D-35 sound, but the Taylor 810 is the first guitar that I've played that seems to be a bright guitar with almost enough bass to satisfy me. I've always been drawn to the Martin sound despite it being more of a bluegrass, country etc... guitar. Bright guitars always sounded cheaper to me. To me the less "metallic" sounding the better. I want to hear the wood, not the strings. However, the types of music I tend to play and listen to are more geared towards the brighter guitars. I am not experienced with acoustics, but being a recording guy I always know what tone I like. But I just can't seem to choose this time. I can see where both of these tones would find their way into a mix, which makes my decision that much harder. I have to decide which one is not only more versitile for the studio, but which one will make me happy for years of playing. Problem is... if I was picking just for me I'd choose the Martin, but from a recording perspective the Taylor seems like it will outshine the Martin in the studio. I'm so confused:confused:

• Members

Ok thinking out loud here... hope you don't mind...

Assuming the Taylor and Martin I played were set up properly here's my likes/dislikes list:

Martin D-28

1. bassssss

2. fretboard feel

3. neck shape/feel

Dislikes

1. higher action

2. break-in required for good sustain

3. can be muddy

Taylor 810

1. susssssstain

2. low low low low action (playability!)

3. more definition in tone

Dislikes

1. can sound too metalic

2. fret buzzzzz

3. not enough bass

Now that I got that out... hmmm.... nope still can't decide

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

Answer, buy a Santa Cruz for about the same money and be done with it
;)

Love the OMPW but Guitar Adoptions discounted price is $2250, which puts is about $500 more than a D28. The DPW is also the same price.

Rockie,

Everything you say about the Martin and Taylor are true, except the action on the Martin can easily be fixed with a setup adjustment. I think either guitar would work in a studio since you'd be able to use equalization. Quite a few people have said that their thinner sound makes the Taylors are easier to mike in a studio.

• Members

Boy oh Boy! With all the bad things going on in the world, this is one of those things you don't mind agonizing over!

I played a Taylor 810 & a Martin D28 Tuesday for quite a long time. One of each please ;) If it were pre-re-voicing era on the Taylor, I'd have to have the American classic D28, but I got my hands on a brand-spanking new Brazilian 810 and I can honestly say that guitar was not only gorgeous, but surprised me with its range. The action was perfect, the ebony fretboard perfect, the lows were there and of course it has the signature Taylor brightness and sustain.

If I was going to jam with the worship band & want my guitar for the studio or just plain sitting around the house, I'd choose the Taylor. Much more sound when lightly plucked & strummed.

Not saying I wouldn't take a D28 by any means, but you have to want & need that sound. There's no debate that it is boomier, darker guitar, but some folks need that. Ditto the fellow that called it "Americana".

A lot of folks get warapped up in brands and their is obviously a reason for that, there has never been more legitimate choices. I envy folks like Little Brother who has had the pleasure of playing so many fine guitars. It must make it difficult to have "a" favorite.

• Members

Originally posted by Dean

How about the HD28 ?

I know the bass becomes a bit more "boomy" but the highs also become sharper and punchier IMO. Costs a bit more than the D-28 though.

All I know is you probably would never see Dan Tyminski or Ron Block plucking away at a Taylor, but in their world, there probably is no "other" guitar.

The original post is D-28 vs 810, but it's not quite so cut-n-dry. The list of likes/dislikes is a bit misleading. Buzzing, metallic sound, action can all be taken care with different strings & a setup. You don't have to keep them there light Elixirs on the Taylor or put up with buzzing or high action either guitar.

Both guitars to me are guitars for a lifetime.

Martin D-28 = pure old fashion class, time proven, loud with a Boom-Chuka all to its own. Top re-sell value.

Taylor= Modern, precise, bright, known for easy playability & the new ones do have a bottom end. Think about a 5 minute neck reset also. Good re-sell value.

I can think of a worse quagmire!

• Members

I like a guitar which responds to my attack well. I dont want to fight with it, but it has to have a certain "toughness" for want of a better word. Like a Telecaster, a players guitar.

I think Taylors are too one dimensional. With a D-28 I can get a multitude of tonal nuances, and it's limits grow with my capabilities.

And I love the growl of a good Martin.

For a brighter guitar I have 2 Lakewoods.

• Members

That would be a serious toss up for me as well. I could not place a D-28 in any venues you listed other than Folk or Bluegrass. It makes a great flat picking guitar for bluegrass, the standard as a matter of fact in the genre.

I think the 810 would be a bit more usefull in other styles but thats just my opinion.

If you are serious about guitar, D-28 is a must have in any collection.

As much as I love Taylors, if you have the $ for a D-28, get that, you cant go wrong. Hard choice though.

• Members

I'd say that if neither guitar has blown you away - made you say "Now this is the guitar I want!" then you might be well served to keep playing different ones until you find one that does. Even within those two brands - there might be a little something different about an 810 at another store that makes it the one.

If your first criteria is "something that I can keep forever" (by which I assume you mean something that you'd want to keep forever - it's always permissible ;)) and you're going to spend this kind of money you might as well wait for a perfect one.

My 2 cents.

• Members

My impression was that he is trying to choose between two guitars that are not quite right for him. Heck there are thousands of them out there like that for me and I own NONE of them. Close is great in horseshoes and hand grenades but with guitars you should wait until something knocks you out.

Nothing worse than being limited by choices. Maybe travel to another town and check out some fresh models.

• Members

I am caught between the 810 and the Martins as well.I own a '74 Martin D-35 but I want an 810.Of course, and like always, I can't afford it because I have no "liquid" assets.I have $4,000 tied up in guitars...plus about 2-300 in my "guitar fund".I am constantly rolling change :D counting my money over and over...thinking in my sleep of how many guitars I can afford....50 Drive S101 strat copies....20 mexi strats....3 D-18's...2 HD-28's..$200 more I could get a couple SC Pre Wars...1 used D-45....two thousand more and I could get a used Olsen.

• Members

4. used for various genres (alternative, rock, pop, hip hop, rap, electronica, new folk... but absolutely no country or bluegrass type stuff)

this requirement reeks of Lakewood. Radiohead have used them. Brighter than Martins but not overly bright. I would say an M model would be perfect.

M1 Spruce Mahogany

M14 Cedar Mahogany

M32 Spruce Rosewood

all 3 models are superb. I own an M32

http://www.lakewood.de/en/indexe.htm

• Members

Originally posted by cstime

I'd say that if neither guitar has blown you away - made you say "Now
this
is the guitar I want!" then you might be well served to keep playing different ones until you find one that does. Even within those two brands - there might be a little something different about an 810 at another store that makes it the one.

If your first criteria is "something that I can keep forever" (by which I assume you mean something that you'd want to keep forever - it's always permissible
;)
) and you're going to spend this kind of money you might as well wait for a perfect one.

My 2 cents.

I think you have made a good point. There is quite a bit of tone and feel variability in these (and most for that matter) models. I would try out as many D-28 and 810's you can find. You may find THE ONE that just begs to be brought home with you:)

Good luck on your quest for tone!

- Jonathan

• Members

Well I've read your original post and you seem to be describing a Taylor more than a Martin. That said, Taylor has rebraced their guitars recently to give them more bass and now I think they sound about the same as Martin but louder. I really think for recording you need a smaller guitar though. It gives you better tonal balance. That drednaught boom is hard to equalize out in the mix. Big drednaughts are fun for sitting on you couch playing while watching t.v. but in my opinion a 000-28 or 714 might record better. Taylors in general can be brighter than Martins but I think there's a lot of overlap. I have a 710CE that booms more than a lot of Martins I've played. Just play the guitar and see what sounds best. Another tip I offer is to have someone else play the guitar while you stand a few feet in front of it. You'd be surprized at the difference.

• Members

Originally posted by Northern Rocker

this requirement [4. used for various genres (alternative, rock, pop, hip hop, rap, electronica, new folk... but absolutely no country or bluegrass type stuff] reeks of Lakewood. Radiohead have used them.

Indeed it does! I've got the M-14 and love it to bits:

My Lakewood Page

Also check out my pictures from the Lakewood Stand at the Open Strings Festival:

Open Strings Pics

Were you there, NR?

And you said you've got two Lakewoods. What's the other one?

There's currently a test model M-1 (spruce/mahog) with L.R. Baggs pickup going from the Lakewood factory - looks like they're testing various different pickups as there were three on there last week, all going for 1400 Euros - a bargain!

Lakewood Online Shop

Cheers,

Cams

• Members

no I wasnt there CAMS.

I have a D-32 New Century built by Martin himself on commssion to Tommys Guitars in Viersen. I had only heard of an M-32 New Century at the time, as standard ware, so I called Lakewood to ask about it. It was the day before the Frankfurter Music Messe. The woman I got said something like "Martin's very busy getting ready for the messe, but I'll see what he says". 10 secs later he was on the phone and spent a while discussing that guitar. That really impressed me.

I see you live in Luxembourg. Quite a coincidence. The company I work for has a factory in Bascharage. I have driven there once every few months since 10 years.

And I'm Scottish!

( I liked your Celtic piece and your Lakewood sounded a dream )

best regards

Nick

• Members

Originally posted by Northern Rocker

I see you live in Luxembourg. Quite a coincidence. The company I work for has a factory in Bascharage. I have driven there once every few months since 10 years.

And I'm Scottish!

No way!! I actually live in Sanem, which is the next village out of Bascharage, and in fact the train station is Bascharage-Sanem (or Nidderk

Archived