Martin D-28 vs Taylor 810

rockafeller

• Members

For bluegrass, it's nothing but Martin .

There's simply no other guitar that can compete with a banjo like a Martin can, and that has the classic tone, dynamics, resonation, projection, and balls that a Martin does.

Martins also sound great in classic rock, folk, roots, country, Texas swing, and acoustic jazz.

But for your possibly more varied studio purposes, I don't know. I'd suggest getting a versatile accomplished guitar player to try them both for you, if you can.

• Members

I've had my Tele for 5 days

I've had my D-35 for about 3 months this month

I've had my cyber twin for about 4 months

I've had my Les Paul for about 6 months this month

I've had my Strat for about 12 months and I still remember the exact date,time,and what I did the same day when I bought it.

December 18, 2002, went to Chesapeake Bank, Went to Wintersound,Purchased guitar for $529.00 along with a Fender Frontman 15R,a 15 foot Whirlwind Cable,a dozen surf green california clear medium thickness Fender picks,and a set of Fender Super Bullets,afterwards I went to Ethan Allen and Harvety's furniture,then I went to Gloucester Emporium Furniture, then I went home.I broke the .09 after 15 minutes of playing.Then I moved the amo from my bedroom to the living room and I tried to play Jimmy Hendrix's version of the Star Spangled Banner :D .If I sold that guitar, I don't think I would miss it.It is behind me leaning against the wall with the rest of my guitars and my cyber twin as I type.Oh and, in June 2003, I was trying to play Miserlou, by Dick Dale and I blew the amp up.Litterally, it blew up.It snapped all the screws and the speaker tore from the casing.I couldn't touch the thing, it was hot!!! But I have to say, I had my Les Paul on the middle position switch with all the knobs on the amp and the guitar cranked to 10.Now I know why Dick Dale blew, I think, 57 amps, before getting the JBL speakers and getting all the right stuff done, then Leo Fender gave him the new amp.I love Dick Dale's surf music.I have never seen him in person but I saw him playing his custom shop Dick Dale strat on that Nissan commercial where he was playing Miserlou.I think he is left handed but he plays right handed model guitars such as the 15 series with electronics and cutaway, then he plays it upside down.His son,Jimmy, uses the alternative X aluminum topped guitar.I have never played the alternative X before but the first Resonator ever built by Martin was just made this yearn and it is in the Alternative X series line from Martin.I can't ever find one anywhere.I haven't been able to find many signature addition Martins at my local shop either, although, he does carry a lot of signature and commemerative edition Taylors such as the LKSM 6/12, DDSM, Windham Hill,JDCM John Denver Commemerative Model....etc, etc. I have been trying to find the MArtin OM-28JM John Mayer Signature Guitar but I haven't had any luck with those either.I want to get one (of course I do, who doesn't? I want to own one of each of every guitar ever built).It has the aluminum bridge pins and saddle / headstock binding.The aluminum bridge pins that come with the guitar are said to give it better resonance and add a more thin,trebbly,bright tone to the OM-28JM.I also like that High Noon inlay (pilot's symbol for high noon inlaid into the fretboard along with John Mayer's signature).I heard the high noon symbol actually came off of John's watch and that is how he came up with the idea for the high noon inlay on the fretboard.MY Timex Expidition has a digital compass....that's about it :D The battery died on me about a month ago and i've gotta get another one.I got the Expidition for $70.00 after a Black Friday sale last year, so it just turned one yesterday.It's scratched up too. It also has some white paint scuff marks and the band broke so I am using it as a pocketwatch.I had a silver pocket watch with gold beagles on it that was left to me by my grandfather.I don't know where it ever went but.Look at this.....Jeez....i'm rambling like a....never mind....but how can you possibly go from how old my guitars were to pocket watches??? Honestly, well, now you know.I think i'll hit the sack.I had a bad dream last night.I dreampt a former Geography teacher I had was possesing stuff in my living room and trying to kill me with a buck knife.....seriously, it posessed a casette tape, a book,and a floppy disk...it was a wierd dream.Anywho, good night everyone.

~EH

• Members

I really want a Taylor....badly:(.But, I don't think I want a dread.I want a smaller bodied guitar.Such as a 14 model auditorium cutaway.I think I want maple too, for a brighter tone.If you have the 2001/2002 Taylor catalog, go to the 600 series page and look at the 615ce.It is sort of a tobacco sunburst or vintage sunburst with the flamed maple.I want that except with bookmatched quilted maple.I love those vintage sunbursts.~EH

• Members

Originally posted by joeybcdt

Buy both. It's only money;)

I have a HD28 and an 810. The 810 is definately brighter and a bit faster. The HD28 is a little more mellow and richer but every bit as strong. I can't decide which I like better.

Joey

Heh heh, well I bought the 810, but maybe after I get a PRS I'll get the D-28.... like 10 years from now after I've saved up enough again.:D

Thanks all! I love this 810! It is by far the most beautiful sounding and looking guitar I've ever played. Don't tell my Les Paul though.;)

• Members

Great choice. I'm still very much in love with my new Taylor. I have also looked at the Clapton signature Martin, but it didn't have the detail of the Taylor.

I've played other acoustics since then, but I never looked back!

• Members

i know this is kinda biased...cause i'm an 810 owner...

but i was in the same position as you were...my first guitar was a Martin 0001, and i loved it a lot...however, i need something with more sparkle...so i played HD35 and D28 just to stay within the martin name...however when i picked up an 810, it just blew me away...seriously, i never felt so sure in my decision when i picked up a taylor...it's worth the money, and the quality is excellent.

enjoi...

• Members

i recently bought a d-28 and i'm quite sure i'm never ever going to regret it but the taylor is definitely a great, great guitar also. as are larrivee's, gibson, collings, lowdens, etc

I've tried a number of 810's and about every other model i could get my hands on. Although the taylors are extremely nice, wellmade beautifull guitars they somehow didn't do it for me.

Taylors seem more modern sounding, brighter and more detailed and open. Martin have deeper bass and to my ears sound more 'old-fashioned' and darker.

Depends on what you're looking for, it's just a matter of taste and what suits your music and your playing style best.

• Members

Originally posted by flintie

Taylors seem more modern sounding, brighter and more detailed and open. Martin have deeper bass and to my ears sound more 'old-fashioned' and darker.

That was sorta my take on it and one of the reasons I went with the 810. However, there is certainly a place for that darker Martin tone in modern music. Maybe one day I'll own both.:D

• Members

I always thought that the 810 was the best model of the old Taylors because the drednaught shape gave you more bottom end and Taylors tended to be built wityh more trebel in them. Now that they've revoiced them for more bottom and volume with new bracing I'm not so sure if that's still true. My 710 seems to have more than enough bottom even with light guage strings. I don't think I'm missing anything over a Martin with mine.

• Members

The bass on a martin is kind of different. Its kind of explosive. you can play it normally and it sounds nice but if you start to play louder the bass will become exponentially louder. some people call it dynamic, some people call it overbearing. I'm not big fan of a huge bottom end myself but I'd probably take the D-28.

I'm not huge taylor fan either. BUT with the role you want it to play you should really get the 810.

You could also try looking at a smaller rosewood martin like a 000-21 (scalloped) or 000-28 (non-scalloped)

Archived