Nylon or steel string?

Koheist

• Members

Which do you like bettter? Personally i like nylon and find steal string a lil... i cant really explain but unnatural sounding. I hope this hasnt already been a post.

Oh yeah and their is a 12 string taylor on craiglist in NY for 500 just poststed cuz i remeber a best 12 string deal thread. Not mine tho.

• Members

Originally posted by LouisP

I like the sustain of the steel but I also love the darker sounds that come from my nylon strings. I am lucky to have both!
:p

Agreed. I love 'em both so much that if put me on a deserted island and only gave me one of the two, I'd have no problem with it. Sure, I'd miss the subtlety of the nylon strings or the power of the steels, but I like 'em both so much that it wouldn't be much of an issue.

I'm playing as much steel as I can right now, though. I know I'll probably end up with arthritis (both of my parents have had arthritis and wrist trouble) and only able to play nylon strings when I get older.

• Members

I picked string for a while but now |I'm back to Nylon. Just love the wide necks (I have really big hands) and the way it picks. I don't use a thumbpick and the nylon strings just gives me a lot more bass than a steel string guitar, cause I can't pick that hard on the steel string without a pick. The sustain on higher stinger on a steel is nice though, but can sound a bit thin. I'm gonnan stick to nylon for the moment.

• Members

awesome guys.i might be getting a steel styring carlo robelli myself but i really love nylons. i borrowed one form my friend for 3 months and was hooked.... admittedly i have small hands but i felt like it was good pratice to have to stretch my fingers and then i tried a steel string and it seemed like it was missing something but that was over the summer and i feel i have definately grown tonally wise and creatively wise so maybe it will suit my style

• Members

Steel String will always be number one to me...but if I had to choose nylon string guitar or no guitar.....of course, I would pick nylon, but I like steel.The good thing about nylon strings is that they improve with age as opposed to steel string guitars.IMO, nylon string guitars....even Rodriguez and high priced nylons, feel really cheaply built and cheap in feel.~EH

• Members

When I'm playing nylon, my creativity goes way up, and all the strings are of equal value, and just a lot of fun. Everything sounds good!

But when I pick up someone's steel string, I feel as if half the guitar is missing once I hit those tinny steel stings (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

And then when you bar chord around everything sounds so scratchy that it is ridiculous.

I did play a Martin 00-17 from 1939 just briefly that belonged to someone I knew. And it blew me away! It sounded really really good to me. I've been interested in one now for years but they are only available on Ebay, and you just don't know what you're getting into.

The way I look at it, a nylon string is like the acoustic equivalent of an electric guitar, and a steel string is just a steel string.

• Members

When doing fingerpricking and hybrid picking I love the crisp sound you get when plucking steel strings. At least until my cuticles start bleeding and my fingernails split! I'm gonna start using Lee press-ons! :p

Being an electric player for so long, I just can't get used to nylon strings. I admit that I could be biased, though. Only one time can I remember actually enjoying playing on nylon strings and that was on a real classical guitar with a really wide neck. Otherwise, they remind me of toy guitar strings.

• Members

I like both. Ive only started playing steel string guitars because I had always been under the impression that steel string guitars had ultra-heavy strings and the action was really high. Until, that is, I played my guitar teacher's Taylor guitars.

I also play classical guitar though, so I do really like quality classical guitars too.

Archived