Speaking of disturbing acoustic trends........

SurrealMcCoy

• Members

......what about out-dated built in electronics?

When I think about investing into a beautiful acoustic that should grow richer tone wise with age.........and think about the current implanted electronics that are surely to change within a matter of months, years........I get scared! :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by WilliamF

I never buy acoustic electric guitars. I think the main reason I don't is because I like the sound of running through a mic and using a Crate CA-60 Acoustic amp. I feel I get a more acoustic sound that way.

More times than not nowdays, it seems that I am finding more onboard electronics on acoustic designed instruments. I don't want to be buying a nice guitar that will become nicer with age only to be stuck with an obsolete electronics system. :(

• Members

Even though I'm no fan of built-in electronics (complete with an ugly preamp inletted into the upper bout), I have to play the devil's advocate and state: What difference does it make if the electronics become obsolete? As long as it sounds good plugged in, I wouldn't care if were powered by hamsters!

Anyway - we're all guitarists here - couldn't you make the claim that your guitar has 'vintage' electronics for that warm, vintage tone that can't be duplicated by sterile, modern silicon-based electronics? ;)

• Members

Originally posted by bsman

Even though I'm no fan of built-in electronics (complete with an ugly preamp inletted into the upper bout), I have to play the devil's advocate and state: What difference does it make if the electronics become obsolete? As long as it sounds good plugged in, I wouldn't care if were powered by hamsters!

Anyway - we're all guitarists here - couldn't you make the claim that your guitar has 'vintage' electronics for that warm, vintage tone that can't be duplicated by sterile, modern silicon-based electronics?
;)

Yeah, it's not something that's really bothering me........this just was a topic that mostly inspired me from William F's thread on "trends".

I have been developing a certain GAS for a Martin 000-15ce........as I love the playability & warm acoustic tone........it comes with a lesser Fishman system. :(

• Members

Personally, I have decided I will NEVER get a high-quality wood guitar with a pre-amp built into the side. I've got an older Ovation Celebrity deluxe, and I don't really care there, because let's face it - the plastic back can't look any worse without a preamp - but I recoil at the thought of removing nice mahogany, rosewood or (god forbid!) koa to put in a piece of black plastic with a bunch of sliders! I'm a big fan of those end-pin mounted preamps - same functionality without messing up the aesthetics.

• Members

For me, it's all about how the instrument sounds acoustically, first and foremost. If I want to add electronics later, I can do that---and the system I choose, not the one the manufacturer selected. I prefer to run passive transducers into an outboard preamp (LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI) and from there into my amplification. In other words, I prefer to do it myself. That option isn't available if the manufacturer has already cut a hole in the upper bout for their preamp. It would be great if they'd offer both options, but few do, which really limits the choices.

• Members

Originally posted by Danocoustic

For me, it's all about how the instrument sounds acoustically, first and foremost. If I want to add electronics later, I can do that---and the system I choose, not the one the manufacturer selected. I prefer to run passive transducers into an outboard preamp (LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI) and from there into my amplification. In other words, I prefer to do it myself. That option isn't available if the manufacturer has already cut a hole in the upper bout for their preamp. It would be great if they'd offer both options, but few do, which really limits the choices.

Very well stated.......:)

• Members

When I ordered my Guild D-55 in 1996, I wanted a preamp installed. I pictured a square cut in the side, but the builder refused to do it. He said the solid rosewood was too precious to cut into it like that. He also pointed out the electronics would someday become outdated. He suggested to me I get the fishman system installed that just has 2 knob shafts protrude thru the wood close to the neck joint. I went with his suggestion. Since so many high end guitars have this configuration, manufacturers will always make an updated replacement that will ust slip right thru the same 2 openings.:)

BTW, my Guild D-55 owns all other Dreadnaught bodied acoustics.;)DSCN6023.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Chirpy_72

since those preamps are all about the same shape/size ... I wonder if anyone sells an aftermarket "patch" for those who want to remove the box ....

maybe a neat ablone inlayed or a choice of indian rosewood, brazilian rosewood maple or mahogany ....

that would be nice! good idea. never heard of anyone offering it though.

• Members

Originally posted by Danocoustic

Exactly my M.O.!

Can't tell you how many pickers I know who've had their built-in pre-amps crap out on 'em...and can't find a replacement the same size as the hole!...Forget that!

Never needed the controls on the instrument, anyway...I use dynamics instead! ;)

Archived