Acoustic Slap ap!

c_corie

• Members

Yeah thats part of the 250mb movie lumbering on the Larrivee site. Although I don't see Justin King playing Larrivees anywhere but that video I always thought that was a pretty good film. It focuses mostly on (me,me,me,me,me) Jean Larrivee and not enough about his people and operations but a good film none the less. Justin King IMO is a very good player. I like that style. Beyond any skills I will ever have in this life ;)

I still get off just as much listening to Jimmie Rodgers strum 3-4 chords too.

Back to my simple plunking again. Thanks for the reality check ;)

• Members

actually I figured out everything but the tapping legatto run in about 5 minutes. He's playing a very simple slap bass type run with the guitar tuned to DADGAD. The 12th fret harmonic "slap" is just the same as doing any other slap you just go a bit lighter.

The descending blues progression towards the middle is about the simplest thing in the whole clip. Its the "hendrix chord" going down the neck with a basic flamenco strum.

The tapping legatto is the tricky bit. I haven't listened to it or watched it enough to really pick out the chords yet, but it seems to be in the general idea of C-B-A-D with some variations to the basic chord.

I find it hard to believe that he uses Elixirs. I would be sliding all over that fine piece of ebony if I were using elixirs.

Final thought:

I still want a Larivee...

• Members

I don't really know how to do ASCII tabs, if there is a program or something let me know...

A-----------------3^5-------3^5---------------3----------5**

D-------0--3^5-------3^5---------0----3^5-------5---

That is the basic theme. The harmonic slap is exactly that, a harmonic slap on the 12th fret, not hard enough to fret the note, but get that little bit of sustaining quality to the sound. **Interchange that D slap with the harmonic slap.

The tapping bit is all on tapping the A string at the 12th fret, then two hammer ons to get to the third fret.

D------------------------------------------12(t)--0^3---0^2

A------------------------------------------------------------------12(t)--0^2-

G---------------------------------------------------------------

D---------------------------12(t)---0^2

A----12(t)----0^2^3-----

D------------------------------------------

That whole mess is a moveable shape, starts on (I think) the 5th fret then goes 5-3-2-1. Basically your A string will be tap the 12 with your right hand, hammer on 4th fret with your left index, then either hammer or slide to the 5th.

As a little toss in, it seems that every now and then he taps the fifth fret of the D and G and slides up the neck

G-----5(t)/12-------

D-----5(t)/12------

I'm doing this out of memory from last night, so excuse the goofy look.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by nasum

The descending blues progression towards the middle is about the simplest thing in the whole clip. Its the "hendrix chord" going down the neck with a basic flamenco strum.

Wow... old topic, eh?

Sorry to bring this back up but how do I get the flamenco strum up to speed like he does? He goes insanely fast and I have no idea with what fingers he's actually strumming, google has been of no help either. Very limited recources.

So how is a flamenco strum done?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Originally posted by nasum

actually I figured out everything but the tapping legatto run in about 5 minutes. He's playing a very simple slap bass type run with the guitar tuned to DADGAD. The 12th fret harmonic "slap" is just the same as doing any other slap you just go a bit lighter.

The tapping legatto is the tricky bit. I haven't listened to it or watched it enough to really pick out the chords yet, but it seems to be in the general idea of C-B-A-D with some variations to the basic chord.

I find it hard to believe that he uses Elixirs. I would be sliding all over that fine piece of ebony if I were using elixirs.

Final thought:

I still want a Larivee...

Yep, i was messing around with this the other day because i read on his site that he is famous for using DADGAD and figured out alot of what he was playing...then it got to that tapping legato and just gave up. Nonetheless, pretty amazing stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by VanArnaoutov

how is a flamenco strum done?

http://www.flamenco-teacher.com/lesson.jsp?level=0&lesson=2

go there, watch video #3, duct tape penis to inside of thigh, live the rest of your life as a tortured woman in male exile.

Seriously, this guy does stuff that is beyond my capability and comprehension at this time. I just sit and feel sorry for myself that I'm not this good yet. Flamenco-teacher.com has a lot of cool stuff, and being a pay member is well worth it so I hear.

• Members

I dunno... I tried doing something like that and all I did was cut up my cuticles. I'm definitely doing something wrong, but I would like to have a technique like that in my trick bag! I would love to somehow translate SRV's "Couldn't Stand the Weather" or "Wall of Denial" to acoustic using that technique.

That's a big task, trying to be SRV AND Chris Layton! :D

Would trying the slap technique at a slower tempo be helpful for those of us who are a bit more mellow? I used to play "More Than Words" and I'm thinking that maybe that technique would be a good starting point.

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

I dunno... I tried doing something like that and all I did was cut up my cuticles. I'm definitely doing something wrong, but I would like to have a technique like that in my trick bag! I would love to somehow translate SRV's "Couldn't Stand the Weather" or "Wall of Denial" to acoustic using that technique.

That's a big task, trying to be SRV AND Chris Layton!
:D

Would trying the slap technique at a slower tempo be helpful for those of us who are a bit more mellow? I used to play "More Than Words" and I'm thinking that maybe that technique would be a good starting point.

You mean the flamenco rasguado/thing? I have a video with Paco Pena and Jullian Bream (I think, I cant remember...). Bream comments on how aggressive the flamenco techniques are and how damaging they are to the nails. Pena suggests using glue on your finger nails to prevent too much damage. In my guitar teacher's Pierre Bensusan book there's a "step by step" on how to do this.

• Members

Originally posted by Anglarna

You mean the flamenco rasguado/thing? I have a video with Paco Pena and Jullian Bream (I think, I cant remember...). Bream comments on how aggressive the flamenco techniques are and how damaging they are to the nails. Pena suggests using glue on your finger nails to prevent too much damage. In my guitar teacher's Pierre Bensusan book there's a "step by step" on how to do this.

Any chance you could get a scan or explain in a few steps how it is done? There is like 0 info on the net on how to do this...

Archived